Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up this car about a month ago and everything is in good shape. 2006 300c RWD 126k miles. Been driving it around where I live and everything works great. The other day I had to drive about 4 or 5 hours on the highway and towards the end of the drive my transmission felt like it was shifting clunky or slow. It didnt feel like it was slipping it just felt clunky. Checked the oil with my buddy’s trucks dipstick that I cleaned off just to see the condition. It was brownish but didn’t smell burnt and i think it looks around the right level. I have a dipstick coming in tomorrow that can check the level. The next day I took a drive and stepped on it to See if it would Act weird. Took her up to about 6000 rpm and it shifted up smoothly without me letting off the gas. So it was Fine then but acted odd after driving for a real long time. So the oil is definitely old I’m assuming it hasnt Been changed before. It’s probably lost some heat transfer capability and started to heat up at the end of a long drive. My question is if i change the fluid now is it too late as most people say that can ruin the transmission if it’s high mileage. If so, will any of those fluid additives give it back it’s heat transfer properties and allow me to go on long drives as i need to occasionally

·
Registered
82 Posts
Definitely change it. I'd do a complete change (not just a pan drop), with a full synthetic ATF like Pennzoil. Cheap and effective.

Don't forget the filter. If you like, you can throw in a bottle of Lubeguard Red while you're at it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I drain and fill my transmission every 30K, and drop the pan to change the fluid & filter every 60K miles. I use only Mopar ATF+4.

I swapped the OEM transmission pan early on for a Mercedes pan that I got at a junkyard, because the Mercedes pan has a drain plug, so the drain/fill procedure is quick and easy. I measure the amount of fluid that came out, and add the same volume of fresh fluid back in. I've got 150,700 miles now, and have never had any transmission troubles, not even a hiccup. I'm on my second motor though...thanks to the dreaded exhaust valve seat drop!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
dhoolwerf
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing