Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on this board for some time now and would like to thank a lot of you for the tales and pictures of your women wooing weapons of mopar madness which convinced me by far that one of these beasts would be my next vehicle.

It appears a lot of you factory order your vehicles. Myself I went a different route to get my beast that may be of inerest to some. On the Canadian Chrysler site it allows you to search all the dealership for the exact car you configured on their site. So about 10 mins on the site I found 4 cars within 1000km of where I live which were exactly the car I would want to order. I went to my local dealership and presented some of this information and told them that I would like to deal local and that I would give the sale to them if they snagged one of these for me so they did a search themsleves to find the closest and made the deal. It cost $300CAD to get it shipped here and 3 days later, my beast arrived. Have any of you tried this tactic?

sc

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Most dealers will look for you but when I purchased my 300c it had to be factory ordered cause they did not have the same color and opinions I wanted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes in the US we can check dealer inventory. The system is not necessarly what is currently in stock. It may be sold or may have not arrived yet. But that's not the problem. Dealers here in So. Cal are charging anywhere from $4,000 to 10,000 over MSRP. They load the cars up with options you don't want and are not willing to deal. If a customer is willing to wait and wait and wait they can special order a car and usually get it at a better price.

DCX has a very strange way of allocating cars so when you order does not really have bearing on when the car will be delivered. I've seen cars ordered after me delivered and other orders that have been in the system longer than the 11 weeks I've been waiting (still in BX status).

Well that's my two cents worth...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Myself personally I have two "C" on order at two different dealers, first dealer to deliver, I'm taking it. The two cars are idantical and with the same price. I am also calling every dealer with in 200 miles of LA or Orange county trying to find the car. There is not one dealer willing to make such a deal unless I order the car. If you take inconsideration my price with the minimum dealer mark up of $5000.00, I save about $8000.00, no dealer is going to give up that kind of money on a car they know is hot. If I can find one then my wait is over. I've done internet, dealer search on the web site and been to countless dealers. Call me cheap, but I'll just wait. It's not easy, but that savings can do a lot more for me than giving it to the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had mine drop shipped from the factory to so cal from a dealership in the midwest where I ordered it from. It took 10 weeks. I have don't know for sure but think of it this way. If your local dealers allocation is currently out and you would have a 16+ week wait and some off the wall dealership in whoknowswhereville insertstatenamehere has a few availble or even better one on order you can order though them and have them deliver it to your local dealership. Your local delearship does a "courtesy delivery" for you. I was told it cost an extra $250 for the courtesy delivery. But versus a 4 to 10k markup or shaving a few weeks off delivery it may be worth your while. When I picked the car up the salesmen there couldn't believe I got mine in 10 weeks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
rescyou said:
...So about 10 mins on the site I found 4 cars within 1000km of where I live which were exactly the car I would want to order. I went to my local dealership and presented some of this information and told them that I would like to deal local and that I would give the sale to them if they snagged one of these for me so they did a search themsleves to find the closest and made the deal. It cost $300CAD to get it shipped here and 3 days later, my beast arrived. Have any of you tried this tactic?
Rescyou, I tried this same tactic. I searched Autotrader.com, and the Chrysler website. My local dealer offered me the best trade in on my vehicle. Of any of the other dealers. I'd find cars that matched my criteria at other dealers and my local one would try to get them. They kept saying that the C is too hot of an item and that no dealers would trade on it. If they did trade, they wanted one in return. The dealer could buy the car from another dealer, but then I'm paying the markup. We did all of this while I had a car on order with them.

Currently, I'm still waiting on delivery. I've given up the search. Paying the dealer markup over MSRP just wasn't an option.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My C was traded to my dealer from another for a different C. The guy who originally ordered mine didn't like the magnesium color. He traded a black one. I got lucky. No fees, and "off the lot" buying.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No markups here in the northeast, but I also tried to have a dealer locate a car with color/opts and they said sure there's a bunch of them out there. But *would you believe* 3 of em just got sold the night before and the 4th one was the lot owner's and he wouldn't give it up...but I see some for more money with less options...so I went to where I saw one on the lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
chwale, What options did you order? We have the same order date and I'm still waiting in BX status. Mine, Black, all options except smokers group and wood trim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealers

The way my dealer explained it was that dealers could only trade these cars around but they can also buy the car from another dealer at a set dealer price. Obviously they don't make near the money that they would if it was on their lot so instead of loosing the sale to the dealer that actually had the thing, the local dealership took the hit. I've found that they would rather make a little money, then none.

I've previously used this tactic at other dealerships for the last 2 Jeep Cherokee's I owned. It's kinda assholic on my part, but both dealers make money and I get the vehicle I want in record time. I've never paid anything extra other than transport charges.

sc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts