Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have 750 miles on my C and the ride is not as smooth as I would like. I can't help but notice every little bump and dip in the road. My previous Bonneville SSEI of 9 years was much better at smoothing out all the road variations. My wife, and her bad back, also notices the rougher/busier ride.
Modifying the air pressure between 28 and 32 doesn't noticeably change anything.
Anyone know of any proven shock/spring/?? changes that could improve the 300c's ride so it better handles the bumpy roads?
I am skeptical there is a quick fix (but I am car challenged so I could be happily surprised :eek: ) because of the many variables/factors and interplay between parts that make it difficult to change a cars inherent handling and ride.

This reviewer also comments on ride.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/Chrysler/1088020530/
Even worse, Chrysler’s engineers have de-tuned the system to produce the same sloppy, bouncy, squishy ride as a Lincoln Town car. It’s sick - and not in a good way. Strangely, the C’s remote control ride fails to smooth-away lumps and bumps; making it the worst of both worlds.

On short rides the ride is not a problem. But on the longer trips the bumps and bounces start to take their toll.
I really don't expect their is a quick and easy fix, but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Joey,

Have you driven a Town Car? The C rides more like an LS than a Town Car, if you must compare it to a Ford...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think its the nature of the car. Its not meant to be "floaty" like a Town Car or LaSabre. Both are fine cars but different from a C. That stiff ride is more associated with a sports car. Its confusing because many of the other amenities and attributes of the 300 are that of a traditional luxury car. Any situation can be altered its just a matter of how many 0's you put after the $.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Joey, let your C get some miles on it. The vehicle has adjusting gas shocks as well as many other characteristics controlled by its computer. It even "learns" your driving style (as to acceleration, gear choices, etc.) as you go.

I found mine a little "stiff" (the C, that is) when I first got it. Now it is very smooth and very quiet (DC made the glass 25% thicker to block out noise). Since your other ride was a Bonneville SSEI, I am confident you will find the C a nicer ride in the long run.

BTW, I am an old gearhead racer and I disagree with your quoted reviewer's assessment of the handling on the C.

Have a look at this video clip. :D
http://superdave3693.home.comcast.net/300C3of5.wmv

·
Registered
528 Posts
Have you tried "taller" tires?
65s profile-wise would fit; and if you went with the 17 inch chrome Touring wheels (still nice) you could go to 70s - all without changing the speedometer measurements too much. This would soften the ride considerably.
Just a thought.
PS - GU-REAT video clip Northern Rider. I've seen that guy race Audis around the track before and it was gu-reat to see such a positive assessment from a real race car driver on the track with the car. THANX MUCHO!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Interesting side note:

Tommy Kendall was at a party in Orange County in mid August and my buddy talked cars with him for a bit. "Whatcha driving these days TK?"

"I just ordered a 2005 Chrysler 300c Hemi, I love that car"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Redman said:
65s profile-wise would fit; and if you went with the 17 inch chrome Touring wheels (still nice) you could go to 70s - all without changing the speedometer measurements too much. This would soften the ride considerably.
Just a thought.
PS - GU-REAT video clip Northern Rider. I've seen that guy race Audis around the track before and it was gu-reat to see such a positive assessment from a real race car driver on the track with the car. THANX MUCHO!
that's your best bet. you could easily do a wheel trade with cash with someone without a C version. call someone like tire rack and ask them for the softest, most pathetic tire with regards to handling and top speed performance -- that will give you the softest ride.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Redman said:
Just a thought.
QUOTE]

My impression of the C's ride tells me more tire would make the ride worse, not better. I am not really sure how to describe "my problem", but it is a combination of too floaty and too bumpy all in one. More tire would just amplify the floaty reactions to the bumps. I am wondering if tightening the ride with 20's would actually improve the ride by reducing the float reaction. Yes, the bumps might be a little stiffer, but the floaty bounce/reaction might be reduced with the 20's.
Possibly stiffer shocks would also reduce the upward bounce/float.
Maybe the SRT-8's suspension/setup will improve the ride, which I could then use to upgrade my C.
But again, I am no expert and this is all guess work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Joey I think I understand your dilemna. I have approx. 270 miles on my C and it hasn't " learned anything " . I am dissapointed in the ride to the point that I get nervous riding over uneven pavement at higher speeds. :mad: The car bounces and bumps along as if it's a pinballl machine. I also have a Lexus gs 300 with aftermarket 17's and low profile z rated tires. The Lexus tracks much better and handles the rough road without me feeling it in the steering wheel. My C actually moves the wheel in my hand when I encounter a series of rough bouncy road ( Washington DC ). I am going to put Eibach springs and 20's on my car soon. Hopefully this will rectify the problem. I must say that overall my C is the best car that I have ever owned! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Joey you wouldn't hppen to have the Continental self seling tires by any chance would you? I do and maybe THAT is the problem!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gang,

I've got about 7K on the "C" at this time. I too had the same problems when first new and it drove me nuts. But by 2K I was missing all of it. I assumed it just worked itself in and it seems to be fine now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
joey said:
Redman said:
Just a thought.
QUOTE]

My impression of the C's ride tells me more tire would make the ride worse, not better. I am not really sure how to describe "my problem", but it is a combination of too floaty and too bumpy all in one. More tire would just amplify the floaty reactions to the bumps. I am wondering if tightening the ride with 20's would actually improve the ride by reducing the float reaction. Yes, the bumps might be a little stiffer, but the floaty bounce/reaction might be reduced with the 20's.
Possibly stiffer shocks would also reduce the upward bounce/float.
Maybe the SRT-8's suspension/setup will improve the ride, which I could then use to upgrade my C.
But again, I am no expert and this is all guess work.

If it's too bouncy and to harsh at the same time for you, I would say you are honestly in need of a different car. You're talking about some serious suspension geometry/dynamics here that you will just lose your shirt playing trial and error. The SRT will be a rough riding vehicle with the tire, shock, and sway bar changes so I doubt your wife's back will like it. You probably need a lexus es or ls....

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Joey, I have spoken about this steering kick in other threads, very annoying. Fortunately the front end is stable regardless of what the wheel is doing. I think this is a defect in the suspension or steering rack itself which no tire can eliminate. Certainly tires can improve ride and handeling. I posed the question of a steering shock stabilizer as an add on but I did not get any responses, perhaps some thoughts will develop in this thread. My 300 E had a stabilizer with recirculating ball steering, I don't know if a stabilizer can be used on rack and pinion. I think this would solve the bump steer. I have no problems with ride/handeling. I have no instability on bumpy pavement or bumpy curves, only annoying steering wheel kick on some bumps.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Krock43 said:
Hey Joey you wouldn't hppen to have the Continental self sealing tires by any chance would you? I do and maybe THAT is the problem!
Krock43,
Yep, I have the protection group tires. Maybe different/wider tires would change things for the better. I havn't really noticed a major problem with handling control or steering wheel kick on bumpy roads, as I think you are describing. Straight driving over budget constrained California roads is enough to create the "busy" ride experience. Please post back when you get your 20's and Eibach's. I will be very interested in your opinion and comparison of the new ride.

Vanilla,
No need for me to jump ship(car) yet. Just trying to get my ride "perfect" as possible. Love the car. We will be taking a 3 day vacation trip down the coast of California in the near future. The longer seat time in the car will be a better test of the ride quality. The true test will be if we are exhausted at the end of the day from a busy ride, or comfortably rested/relaxed.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
Joey, I have spoken about this steering kick in other threads, very annoying. Fortunately the front end is stable regardless of what the wheel is doing. I think this is a defect in the suspension or steering rack itself which no tire can eliminate. Certainly tires can improve ride and handeling. I posed the question of a steering shock stabilizer as an add on but I did not get any responses, perhaps some thoughts will develop in this thread. My 300 E had a stabilizer with recirculating ball steering, I don't know if a stabilizer can be used on rack and pinion. I think this would solve the bump steer. I have no problems with ride/handeling. I have no instability on bumpy pavement or bumpy curves, only annoying steering wheel kick on some bumps.
I do recall previous discussions/threads about wheel hop and kick-back, but I thought it was more related to the 22's ride. I guess we are going to have to wait for someone to develop some tweaks/mod's to the suspension system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
After owning many cars with runflats / self sealing tyres, it's the tires.....the are rough riders, put on a standard tyre and the ride will be wonderful,,,

·
Registered
96 Posts
tthanks Joey and Gary C, I can't wait to get these tires off of this car!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Gary C said:
After owning many cars with runflats / self sealing tyres, it's the tires.....the are rough riders, put on a standard tyre and the ride will be wonderful,,,
Mine rides great with the Conti self seal, it's the steering kick that I don't like. You are correct, my brother's 02 Vette rode and handled much better when he got rid of the run flats. Do you suppose the steering kick is related to the self seals. Anyone without self sealing tires notice steering wheel kick on rough pavement?

·
Registered
96 Posts
kcrnmale said:
I have no kick and non-seal tires. Except for really rough roads, I like the 300 ride.

So you're saying that the problem is the self sealing tires right?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts