Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Top Gear which is a popular car show on BBC in the UK is coming back with a new season and on there first episode back they'll be testing the 300C. Now you might ask what the big deal is? Its not really a big deal but this show is imfamous for bashing Amercian cars so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say about the 300. Another car show in the UK which tested the 300C back May really enjoyed the car except for the interior. Hopefully Top Gear will have the 300C around the track to see what time it gets.

They'll be comparing the 300C againist 2 other cars, the Jaguar S-Type R (4.2 V8, 5.3 secs 0-60 mph) and the Vauxhall Monaro VXR (5.7i V8, 5.3 secs 0-60mph). The Vauxhall which is owned by GM is basically a Ponitac GTO and tagged a Vauxhall for the UK market. It should be interesting considering that the 300C is a underdog already because its Amercian. The show will air later today in the UK so hopefully a clip of the show will make its way on the net.

·
Registered
96 Posts
jeremy, hammond, and james all loved the looks of the car, and were looking foward to it when they first got word of its production etc. I am sure they will bash the interior, but will like the rest. Hammond and James are all about the ride and power so I am sure they will like it, jeremy just either likes something or hates it without cause (he finds funny reasons). I look foward to seeing it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wow, they trashed the car on its breaks and handeling. They loved the looks tho.

Their verdict was on the verge of greatness but just missing it. Hope they get their hands on the srt8 when it comes out.

Great to see my car on a top gear review tho. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
That settles it, no dirt track racing for my 300C, the traction control just isn't suited for it. Did you notice that the 300C beat the 382 hp Monaro in the drag race?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think overall the 300C did well. The handling didn't get high marks but the exterior of the car did. I think putting the 300C againist the Jag S Type R was unfair and makes no sense. Your talking about a stock 300C which isn't supercharged nor is it a special edition vehicle againist a Jag which is a special edition car. I would love to the 300C SRT-8 againist the Jag S Type R which would be interesting.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Enjoyed the vid. Cracked me up seeing him drive with his head out the sunroof. :D
Regarding the negative ride and handling, it was strange how in the first half of the video, when he was street driving, there was no mention of the C's handling and ride. Only when they got on the sandy beach did it come up as an issue.

Having said that, I too feel the C's ride is too "bouncy and bumpy", as I described in this thread.
http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=1306&highlight=bouncy

The reason for the poor ride and handling was explained in the video as
"the suspension is so soft that it cannot react quickly enough. So you get this huge jolt and then the whole car starts to pitch and wallow"

This ride description is what I was describing as too "bouncy and bumpy".
Based on the video, the reason for this bouncy and bumpy ride is the suspension is too soft. That is actually a good thing because there may be an easy fix with stiffer shocks.
Stiffer shocks should reduce the "huge jolt" (bouncy), which should then reduce the "pitch and wallow" (bumpy).

I will be interested to see how the SRT-8 handles. If the SRT-8 handles a lot better, hopefully we will be able to upgrade/replace the C's suspension with the SRT-8's. Otherwise, I will first try upgrading the shocks.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
300Cons23s, thanks mate for getting the smaller file.

I have BBC World on local cable here in OZ but there is no Top Gear in this week's programming. I thought we got the same feed as the rest of the world but maybe not.

At least I can check it out once the files download completes :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know there's a lot of talk about soft springs, but changing out those stock Conti's made all the difference in the world to me. I'm running 20" Scorpions (lower profile, wider, and a better tire) and the handling is 100% better. It's hard to describe how much better. No bouncing or floating at all.

Presumably the SRT-8, in addition to having stiffer springs, will have decent tires.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
BobD said:
I know there's a lot of talk about soft springs, but changing out those stock Conti's made all the difference in the world to me. I'm running 20" Scorpions (lower profile, wider, and a better tire) and the handling is 100% better. It's hard to describe how much better. No bouncing or floating at all..
I agree. The spring / shock / suspension setup in the 300C is excellent for highway cruising and for spirited driving. The Conti tires (especially the self-seal) are not up to the demands of the Hemi. I have had mine up to 143 mph and the car was floating - not a nice feeling. 20' rims and a better performance tire seems to make all the difference.

There are several owners who have posted ride, performance and stability improvements doing this upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I am surprised that the Top Gear guys criticised the Hemi for lack of torque and said the Monaro was better.

I haven't actually driven the 300C but from everything I have read both here on the Forum and from Roadtests, the Hemi has awesome torque which is usable from low revs.

I have driven the Monaro and other variants with the LS1 (Gen III) and it's torque is no very usable in day to day driving as it is so high up in the rev range. On the latest version, they have changed the diff ratio to make the thing more driveable and the fuel economy has taken a beating.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has driven both, to get their opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts