Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you folks in the NorthEast are feeling the awful Canadian weather decending upon you, as we speak.

In Ottawa, the mercury is plunging to -30 degrees celcius tonight, with brisk winds giving a wind chill of -45!!!!

The big challenge comes tomorrow morning:

• Will the beast start? (actually I'm aready cheating;) - my baby's tucked inside a nice heated garage)
  • How will the steering, brakes, transmission, suspension and tires work?
  • Will the heater be up to the task?
  • Will the Daimler Chrysler standard equipment Glock be enough firepower to fend off maurading polar bears and wolves?
And the most important question of all

• Will I be able to find a "full-service" gas station for a fill up?
.... stay tuned, faithful forum members.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Northern Rider said:
All you folks in the NorthEast are feeling the awful Canadian weather decending upon you, as we speak.

In Ottawa, the mercury is plunging to -30 degrees celcius tonight, with brisk winds giving a wind chill of -45!!!!

• Will the beast start? (actually I'm aready cheating;) - my baby's tucked inside a nice heated garage)
  • Will the Daimler Chrysler standard equipment Glock be enough firepower to fend off maurading polar bears and wolves?

Quit being a wimp, suck it up and act like a true *******. The temp here to-day was 15 degrees celsius. LOL :D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
NR, I hope you have synthetic 5w20. Do the cold pour test, put a qt of conventional 5w20 and synthetic outside overnight. Next morning check out the molasses flow (no flow) conventional and the easy flow synthetic . This test alone should convince everyone to use synthetic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Glare ice here today in MN. The C held up pretty good. I saw the traction control thing turn on a few times to correct my back end from swaying. What REALLY worked great for me was when I was taking off to use the auto stick to stay in a low gear. It did not seem like my backend was swaying quite as much that way. Once going up to speed, the car seemed to stick very well. My whole drive though I don't think I got over 50 mph since the traffic was so heavy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Northern Rider said:

DUM DE DUM DUM...the suspense never stops. and thanks for cold in atlanta (22 deg f. in atlanta). :(

·
Registered
272 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
NR, I hope you have synthetic 5w20. Do the cold pour test, put a qt of conventional 5w20 and synthetic outside overnight. Next morning check out the molasses flow (no flow) conventional and the easy flow synthetic . This test alone should convince everyone to use synthetic.
yeah, that would be interesting!

·
Registered
52 Posts
effect on cold on battery

With so much talk of the cold weather that many of us are experiencing at present it brings up an interesting point regarding the battery.

As our batteries are in the trunk and thus away from any heat source ( engine etc) is there a chance that the electrolyte could start to freeze up resulting in a loss in efficiency ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
About three weeks ago, I took the C in for its first oil change service. While there, I was told about the recall regarding the radiator brackets and the need to change the antifreeze. This saved me a 45 mile round trip, as this was before I received the mail about the recall. The recall repair was done and so two service calls were handled during the same visit.

What is amazing is how the Chrysler engineers messed up and sent out the 300s and Maginums with insufficient antifreeze. It seems that it was found out that the antifreeze was only rated to -25 F. After the service, the antifreeze in my C was rated at -40F. HOW in the world could they let vehicles with so low of an antifreeze rating to be sent out into the world?!?!? I remember a day about 8-9 years ago when, it was an actual -25F in Columbus, Ohio -- without windchill factored in. Most of the time we do not see temperatures lower than -5 to -10F. Last year we never had any subzero temperatures. But -25F is possible.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I remember that -25F in Columbus, I like a complete fool drove to the Detroit auto show and the ext temp guage in my 87 300E never got above -22F. A minor breakdown could have resulted in freezing to death and I never thought about that until after returning home, what an idiot, I guess the angle of the Lord was with me that day.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
limeyg said:
With so much talk of the cold weather that many of us are experiencing at present it brings up an interesting point regarding the battery.

As our batteries are in the trunk and thus away from any heat source ( engine etc) is there a chance that the electrolyte could start to freeze up resulting in a loss in efficiency ?
My alfa 164 had a battery in the trunk, never any problems.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh my lucky I live on the west coast. It doesn't go blow -1 Celius around here. I can't imagine the toll minus -30 weather will do on a car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The battery away from the heat source may help prevent sulfating, overheating and other things that would shorten the life of the battery. In the end, it is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.
And I remember the Winter freeze of 1993...We were barred from going outside at Central Mich. U...Two days in a row classes were cancelled. -25 actual, -64 with wind chill. The coldest I have ever seen.

·
Registered
96 Posts
-40 with windchill here, started with no problem. Of course it was in the garage for most of the time :p

Pics to come soon

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
300Con23s said:
Oh my lucky I live on the west coast. It doesn't go blow -1 Celius around here. I can't imagine the toll minus -30 weather will do on a car.

No crap...remember also, in addition to the mechanicals, EVERYTHING gets super cold...flexing of any kind can cause plastic parts to crack, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I was stationed in Alaska I did the pour test using Mobil 1 and Quaker State 5W-20 at -49F with no wind chill. The Quaker State would not pour at all. The Mobil 1 was thick but it would pour. If I remember my science facts correctly wind chill only applies to living things and would not apply to things like oil or anti-freeze.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts