Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Torture Test for the 300C Tomorrow . . .

8K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Bailman 
#1 ·
All you folks in the NorthEast are feeling the awful Canadian weather decending upon you, as we speak.

In Ottawa, the mercury is plunging to -30 degrees celcius tonight, with brisk winds giving a wind chill of -45!!!!

The big challenge comes tomorrow morning:

• Will the beast start? (actually I'm aready cheating;) - my baby's tucked inside a nice heated garage)
  • How will the steering, brakes, transmission, suspension and tires work?
  • Will the heater be up to the task?
  • Will the Daimler Chrysler standard equipment Glock be enough firepower to fend off maurading polar bears and wolves?
And the most important question of all

• Will I be able to find a "full-service" gas station for a fill up?
.... stay tuned, faithful forum members.

See less See more
#2 ·
Northern Rider said:
All you folks in the NorthEast are feeling the awful Canadian weather decending upon you, as we speak.

In Ottawa, the mercury is plunging to -30 degrees celcius tonight, with brisk winds giving a wind chill of -45!!!!

• Will the beast start? (actually I'm aready cheating;) - my baby's tucked inside a nice heated garage)
  • Will the Daimler Chrysler standard equipment Glock be enough firepower to fend off maurading polar bears and wolves?

Quit being a wimp, suck it up and act like a true *******. The temp here to-day was 15 degrees celsius. LOL :D

#7 ·
Glare ice here today in MN. The C held up pretty good. I saw the traction control thing turn on a few times to correct my back end from swaying. What REALLY worked great for me was when I was taking off to use the auto stick to stay in a low gear. It did not seem like my backend was swaying quite as much that way. Once going up to speed, the car seemed to stick very well. My whole drive though I don't think I got over 50 mph since the traffic was so heavy.

#8 ·
Northern Rider said:

DUM DE DUM DUM...the suspense never stops. and thanks for cold in atlanta (22 deg f. in atlanta). :(

#11 ·
effect on cold on battery

With so much talk of the cold weather that many of us are experiencing at present it brings up an interesting point regarding the battery.

As our batteries are in the trunk and thus away from any heat source ( engine etc) is there a chance that the electrolyte could start to freeze up resulting in a loss in efficiency ?

#12 · (Edited)
About three weeks ago, I took the C in for its first oil change service. While there, I was told about the recall regarding the radiator brackets and the need to change the antifreeze. This saved me a 45 mile round trip, as this was before I received the mail about the recall. The recall repair was done and so two service calls were handled during the same visit.

What is amazing is how the Chrysler engineers messed up and sent out the 300s and Maginums with insufficient antifreeze. It seems that it was found out that the antifreeze was only rated to -25 F. After the service, the antifreeze in my C was rated at -40F. HOW in the world could they let vehicles with so low of an antifreeze rating to be sent out into the world?!?!? I remember a day about 8-9 years ago when, it was an actual -25F in Columbus, Ohio -- without windchill factored in. Most of the time we do not see temperatures lower than -5 to -10F. Last year we never had any subzero temperatures. But -25F is possible.

#13 ·
I remember that -25F in Columbus, I like a complete fool drove to the Detroit auto show and the ext temp guage in my 87 300E never got above -22F. A minor breakdown could have resulted in freezing to death and I never thought about that until after returning home, what an idiot, I guess the angle of the Lord was with me that day.

#14 ·
limeyg said:
With so much talk of the cold weather that many of us are experiencing at present it brings up an interesting point regarding the battery.

As our batteries are in the trunk and thus away from any heat source ( engine etc) is there a chance that the electrolyte could start to freeze up resulting in a loss in efficiency ?
My alfa 164 had a battery in the trunk, never any problems.

#16 ·
The battery away from the heat source may help prevent sulfating, overheating and other things that would shorten the life of the battery. In the end, it is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.
And I remember the Winter freeze of 1993...We were barred from going outside at Central Mich. U...Two days in a row classes were cancelled. -25 actual, -64 with wind chill. The coldest I have ever seen.

#18 ·
300Con23s said:
Oh my lucky I live on the west coast. It doesn't go blow -1 Celius around here. I can't imagine the toll minus -30 weather will do on a car.

No crap...remember also, in addition to the mechanicals, EVERYTHING gets super cold...flexing of any kind can cause plastic parts to crack, etc.

#19 ·
When I was stationed in Alaska I did the pour test using Mobil 1 and Quaker State 5W-20 at -49F with no wind chill. The Quaker State would not pour at all. The Mobil 1 was thick but it would pour. If I remember my science facts correctly wind chill only applies to living things and would not apply to things like oil or anti-freeze.

#21 ·
Deep Freeze Test Report

Northern Rider said:

Well - the temp actually went to -34 Celcius with a wind chill of -46. How did the 300C do?

In the interests of pure research, I rolled it out of its heated home and left it to shiver outside on its lonesome for over 2 hours (please don't report me to the S.P.C.C.).

Starting up: The car started with a touch of the key (all you old-timers already know that if a V8 can turn over just a little bit, it usually starts - just takes one cylinder to fire up). The heated seats are great - best bun warmers I have ever experienced. The adjustable wheel and pedals are very helpful when you are dressed like an Inuit on a seal hunt. After 5 minutes of idling, the heater came on. Lots of heat in all the right places.

On the road: Back up sensors are handy when snowbanks abound. The transmission showed no effects from the bitter cold. The steering was initially stiff, but soon returned to a normal feel. The suspension was stiffer and the leather upholstery actually squeaked from road vibration. The brakes worked as normal. The ESP cut in and out as there was "black ice" everywhere. It did its job with little fuss, even when I deliberately tried to slide the backside out.

The Conti self seals were another story. They flat spotted and showed no compliance in the sidewalls. It was like riding on wagon wheels. My car and I are beginning to take a big dislike to these heavy, clunky tires.

Dangerous Animals: Despite being well prepared, we encountered no wolves or polar bears during our tests. Extreme caution had to be taken around a number of hairless apes driving in frenzied distraction with holiday parcels piled high in their vehicles. The 300C's ability to take quick evasive action proved invaluable.

The verdict: Extreme cold weather brings out the worst and the best in machinery. Aside from the OEM tires, the C demonstrated that it is a go anywhere, anytime kind of car. Hemi power doesn't mean much on black ice at -30. The C showed that it is much more than just another Fast Freddy.

This car gets you where you are going in comfort and style.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

#24 ·
Northern Rider said:
Well - the temp actually went to -34 Celcius with a wind chill of -46. How did the 300C do?

In the interests of pure research, I rolled it out of its heated home and left it to shiver outside on its lonesome for over 2 hours (please don't report me to the S.P.C.C.).

Starting up: The car started with a touch of the key (all you old-timers already know that if a V8 can turn over just a little bit, it usually starts - just takes one cylinder to fire up). The heated seats are great - best bun warmers I have ever experienced. The adjustable wheel and pedals are very helpful when you are dressed like an Inuit on a seal hunt. After 5 minutes of idling, the heater came on. Lots of heat in all the right places.

On the road: Back up sensors are handy when snowbanks abound. The transmission showed no effects from the bitter cold. The steering was initially stiff, but soon returned to a normal feel. The suspension was stiffer and the leather upholstery actually squeaked from road vibration. The brakes worked as normal. The ESP cut in and out as there was "black ice" everywhere. It did its job with little fuss, even when I deliberately tried to slide the backside out.

The Conti self seals were another story. They flat spotted and showed no compliance in the sidewalls. It was like riding on wagon wheels. My car and I are beginning to take a big dislike to these heavy, clunky tires.

Dangerous Animals: Despite being well prepared, we encountered no wolves or polar bears during our tests. Extreme caution had to be taken around a number of hairless apes driving in frenzied distraction with holiday parcels piled high in their vehicles. The 300C's ability to take quick evasive action proved invaluable.

The verdict: Extreme cold weather brings out the worst and the best in machinery. Aside from the OEM tires, the C demonstrated that it is a go anywhere, anytime kind of car. Hemi power doesn't mean much on black ice at -30. The C showed that it is much more than just another Fast Freddy.

This car gets you where you are going in comfort and style.

I give it 2 thumbs up.
Good analogy and great results. Here in VA we just got some Canadian air and it took us as low as 22F. We even got an inch of snow, but nothing compared to what you got. I am gald to see me and my C will probably never have to see such drastic temp's

#25 ·
The C passes!!!

I had no choice to take the C out today.

We had foot of snow with a below zero windchill here in the MotoCity.

Of course the city couldn't keep up with the snow on the side streets and for that matter on the highway. The must important thing about driving in these conditions is, as should always be the case, be a defensive driver.

I found myself in snow drifts on side streets and watching folk spin-out on I-94.
The Hemi pushed me through the drifts and the trac./stab. control kept the C straight and balanced on both side streets and highway.

I do believe the C needs better tires(I have the Contis)but for a RWD she did well!!

#26 ·
Who said snow???

Bernie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.