Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on a long trip today following on from having new tyres fitted. After about 300 miles while cruising fast down the M5 the tpm warning light came on and the evic showed two dashes on the passenger side front tyre, where the pressure reading usually is. Came off the motorway to inspect, and tyre looked fine. Drove off, evic showed the same, but warning light went off. Now the warning light comes on every 10mins or so, them goes off again. Does this sound like a problem caused by the tyre fitter or a failure of the valve/sensor?
Thanks in advance,
Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMO sounds like the TPMS sensor is bad

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
^^^^ Agreed ^^^^ They tend to get brittle and fail. If yours are the originals, they have been in service for 6 or 7 years now and many of that age can fail with the slightest of impacts during a tire change.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Sounds like the battery in the TPMS is failing. I have the same issue with one of mine. Good for a while then it'll flash up 'Check TPMS' (and 'system'.. can't remember) with two dashes. Few miles down the road and it'll be picked up again and show good pressure. Batteries aren't replaceable though AFAIK. Wouldn't think it'll be a stem failure unless there's a pressure loss.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,736 Posts
TPMS batteries have a design life of 10 yrs and are not replaceable. My 2006 originals are still working OK.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a scanner that can test then and I'm finding that the signal drops off long before the batteries show low.
here's some more info
TPMS Direct - OE TPMS Life Expectancy

Mileage seems to be a bigger factor than age

After market manufactures are now getting into the TPMS market, expect a big drop in TPM transmitters prices in the future
when the price drops below that of a good quality hand held pressure gauge i'll consider reinstating mine.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
when the price drops below that of a good quality hand held pressure gauge i'll consider reinstating mine.
I totally agree ^^^^^.
Just what is the point in spending silly money on the system ?
They would need to cost just a few pounds each for me to maintain the system if I got any problems (Probably less than £5 each). Mind you I am a tight Yorkshireman

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
I would check the tyre pressure with a gauge, i.e. to make sure its not leaking from the valve

Fastest way to rule out a leaky valve, put some fairly liquid around the valve and spray a little water. Watch for bubbles, if it bubbles, you may need a service pack.

In my recent case, the tyre fitter over torqued the nut. When it happened it was leaking around the valve stem because he bent the metal washer at the base. When the metal washer bends it then cannot hold the rubber seal to make an even tight seal with the wheel, hence it leaks.

Worth checking first before replacing the sensor, should get around 10 years from it before it totally dies out :yup:

See photo of metal washer, which is the one that sit at the base of the stem. The rubber seal then sits on top of it.

If no leaks, then you may have no choice but to renew the faulty sensor. As a final resort you could move the suspect wheel to a different axle to see if it made a difference because it may pick the signal up from another point. All the best and keep it posted

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,736 Posts
The following pics show a TPMS with a crunched seal caused by over torquing and the new replacement. I could have probably got away with just a service kit. Over torquing could also cause the valve stem to separate.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Can you use the service kit on the factory fit TPMS modules? I thought you had to replace them with specific units that allowed you to replace the individual parts?

JD

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Its easy, they'll use a tpms wrench, its a 12mm socket.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Never come across a plastic nut yet, wonder who does them, just checked through my collection, old and new and no plastic nuts

Lovely assortment of spares :fing02:

Can I see photo of your tpms 12mm socket, just want to see the shape of it. With deeper alloys, the standard 12mm socket set don't fit on properly because of the wheels.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,736 Posts
The main body and collar is made of a lightweight, non-conducting material, which I assume to be plastic. As the stem acts as an antenna for the RF signal, it is important for it to be electrically isolated from the rim and this should also prevent any corrosion in that area. However, the hex nut and internal thread are metallic, so the construction is a bit more complicated than it looks. Nevertheless, I could see no evidence of any corrosion on a 5 yr old TPMS assembly.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The main body and collar is made of a lightweight, non-conducting material, which I assume to be plastic. As the stem acts as an antenna for the RF signal, it is important for it to be electrically isolated from the rim and this should also prevent any corrosion in that area. However, the hex nut and internal thread are metallic, so the construction is a bit more complicated than it looks. Nevertheless, I could see no evidence of any corrosion on a 5 yr old TPMS assembly.
you are lucky....mine were corroded to the point of crumbling the first time i tried to remove the metal valve cap.

No problem now....i took the lot out and fitted standard rubber shreader valves.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts