Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I even tried driving round Olivers Mount road race circuit (public road when no racing) but a couple of blind hairpins and a junction slowed me below 15mph. :disappoin

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
It is NOT a MOT failure if TPMS are not working or showing a failure,I don't care what the AA quote,it's what MOT test stations are told via special notices from a specific date and not one test station has had this special notice,nor shall it for a long long time...if ever...trust me

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is NOT a MOT failure if TPMS are not working or showing a failure,I don't care what the AA quote,it's what MOT test stations are told via special notices from a specific date and not one test station has had this special notice,nor shall it for a long long time...if ever...trust me
Perfect and confident answers! thank you Pappajohn + UK CHRYSLER 300C

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
while a rubber valve may only weigh a few grams, at high speed the rubber stem will near enough be laid flat against the rim due to centrifugal force which MAY cause a little leakage around the valve hole in the rim.
Unlikely on alloy rims, due to the deeper valve recess, but In extreme cases with steel rims the stem could bend far enough to pop out of the rim.
Well my right rear tyre hasn't deflated at all with a rubber valve in and I've been driving at very very high speeds just lately on a private road,the amount of time that you could actually drive at very very high speeds is very very limited so I wouldn't really worry about the valve laying flat against the rim,you have more chance of a corroded ally valve snapping at speed than a rubber one bending......laid flat against the rim?????..... lmao

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Well my right rear tyre hasn't deflated at all with a rubber valve in and I've been driving at very very high speeds just lately on a private road,the amount of time that you could actually drive at very very high speeds is very very limited so I wouldn't really worry about the valve laying flat against the rim,you have more chance of a corroded ally valve snapping at speed than a rubber one bending......laid flat against the rim?????..... lmao
Good point thats one of the reasons i changed mine and the fact that mine has no spare a can of gunk and a pump is no good if the valve snaps off in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
OK, i was wrong about it being a currently testable item but you should recall reading this item in special notice 3-2012

Item 3: Future Changes to the Inspection Manual
The bedding-in period has been really useful to gather your feedback before we go live. Thank you for
taking the trouble to contact us with your observations. Attached at Annex A is a list of some of the items
you can expect to see in the new Manual when we do go live.
It is important that testers continue to
familiarise themselves with these future amendments so that the correct standards will be applied when
the time comes.

And....

special notice 9-2011 Annex B: List of New Testable Components

 Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps
 Main beam ‘tell-tale’
 Battery (including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles)
 Electrical wiring and connectors
 Trailer electrical socket security and damage
 Operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets using an approved trailer socket tester
 Operation of the steering lock (where fitted) including that malfunction warning is not
displayed for an electronic steering lock
 Electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault
 Electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
 Electronic Stability Control (ESC) components, including the switch (if fitted) and
malfunction warning
 Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
 SRS components including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters
and SRS malfunction warning lamp
 Engine mountings
 Speedometer
 Indirect vision devices (where they replace obligatory mirrors)

and superceeded by....

special notice 3-2012 Annex A: Future Changes to the Inspection Manual

– Change Table
Change
Clarification of standards to be applied to extensively modified vehicles (such as rally cars, stretch
limousines etc.) which may no longer be fitted with airbags, brake servos, electronic stability control etc.
Addition of a Note exempting military vehicles from the requirement for position lamps to operate with a
single operation of the switch.
Clarification that trailer electrical sockets with defective or missing cover flaps that incorporate a lug and
spring to hold the plug in place are not a Reason for Rejection.
Clarification of acceptable alternatives where a steering lock has been removed (i.e. it has been
replaced with another permanently installed immobilisation device that acts on either: the steering; gear
shift; transmission; or prevents the engine from running).
Clarification that for non-ATL/OPTL approved bays, the road wheels must be rocked as well as shaken
by the assistant while the tester examines the relevant items.
The Note regarding fluid leakage from a shock absorber has been moved to the Information Column.
As a simplification measure, the shock absorber bounce test will be removed from test.
A new paragraph has been added regarding extended wheelbase vehicles, such as hearses and
stretched limousines, which may have their ESC system disabled for technical reasons. The Reasons
for Rejection in relation to ESC do not therefore apply to these vehicles, even if the MIL is permanently
illuminated.
As a simplification measure, although there is still a requirement to check the ABS warning lamp
operates, the check of the particular sequence will be removed.
The requirement to check the presence and condition of dust covers on brake actuators has been
removed.
As a simplification measure, the requirement to run brake rollers independently for maximum brake
effort on non-ATL bays will be relaxed. Testers will have the option to run the brake rollers together
when checking maximum effort, depending on the suitability of the RBT.
However, if the rollers are run together and the vehicle fails to meet the minimum performance
requirement, the test must be repeated running the rollers individually.
Also, if both rollers are run together, it will almost certainly be necessary to chock the wheels not under
test.
In respect of ATL roller brake tests, a new paragraph requires that where a vehicle is ejected from the
brake rollers and the required brake efforts are not achieved, the test should be repeated in manual
mode, running rollers individually.
MoI modified to permit running both rollers together for maximum brake effort.
The requirement for the TPMS warning lamp to illuminate has been removed. It will only fail if it
indicates a system malfunction. Additionally, there is a new check and RfR for the system being
obviously inoperative.

Addition of “FIA” marking as being acceptable for adult harness belts.
The requirement for the SRS warning lamp to illuminate has been removed. Only if the lamp indicates a
system malfunction will the vehicle fail.
Clarification that the check for the presence of a catalytic converter only applies to petrol vehicles that
qualify for a full catalyst emissions test regardless of the result of the Basic Emissions Test.

both these special notices must have been signed off by you, even if you didnt read them.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
all that you have stated above will not be in the regs for a long long time,how do I know this? I recently went on a MOT refresher course (you have to do one every 5 years for every class of MOT you do) and the VOSA man when asked about the new regs stated that since Atos took over from Siemens (5 year contract ran out) they are charging for every alteration in the "bible" and they are charging thousands and VOSA reckon they can't afford it,which is believable as they are closing down loads of VOSA offices around the UK,these "offices" are actually the stations where the big trucks are tested and are now being tested at anyone who can afford to set one up,our local one has shut and Stan Robinson (haulier) has set one up in his massive yard and VOSA send men there to test the trucks....he is making a mint out of this as the nearest one to us is Derby and that has been rumoured for closure.
Be assured that when these new "rules" come in,you will be the first to know as I always post the new regs but it wont be for a very long time

·
Registered
587 Posts

According to my handbook, if all sensors are removed then drive for at least 10 mins at more than 15mph until you get the warning bong again and the warning light will flash rapidly for 60 seconds.
at next start up the light and bong will not happen but the EVIC will show -- on all four corners.
the main thing is the light and bong are gone.

still have to confirm the above 'cos locally i cant drive 10mins without having to stop for one thing or another.
next out of town trip will confirm if it works.
It doesn't work !

first out of town drive today (40 miles) due to snow and never fell below 25mph, no bong and the light didnt flash and is still on.
bongs once on start-up so maybe need a longer time until it does bong again.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
My 2007 CRD tourer without TPMS sensors would always bong at startup and put the warning light on. It doesn't now because although I have the wrong sensors in it, (long story), the system picked them up eventually and although it doesn't show pressures it believes all OK. Doug.
PS has anyone got an old sensor with knackerd stem they don't want. I have three on some wheels that are going for refurb. I am planning to stick them to the rim inside the tyre and use normal rubber valves.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2007 CRD tourer without TPMS sensors would always bong at startup and put the warning light on. It doesn't now because although I have the wrong sensors in it, (long story), the system picked them up eventually and although it doesn't show pressures it believes all OK. Doug.
PS has anyone got an old sensor with knackerd stem they don't want. I have three on some wheels that are going for refurb. I am planning to stick them to the rim inside the tyre and use normal rubber valves.

Doug, if your getting your wheels done at My Alloys in Basingstoke he has rubber valves with TPMS for £41 each. Very nice man i had 2 fitted and by the time i got to the end of the road the car had recognised them.

Brian.

·
Registered
587 Posts

You will still need the stem as it forms the antenna for the sensor

·
Registered
587 Posts
You dont, i remember a few post that people fixed them around the inside of the rim (in the tyre) and fixed them with huge jubillee type clamp!!

i wouldnt do it,
So what purpose does the small screw serve, and also must be correctly torqued, which screws through the copper link and on to the valve stem.

if the stem serves no purpose other than for inflation, surely it wouldnt have an electrical connection to the sensor

81 - 100 of 114 Posts