Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody confirm that the traction control system only works in Drive and not in Reverse? I am ripping up my driveway getting the car out now there is a bit of snow. The BMW just glides out, but the 300 is really hard to control.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry... Book says nothing about reverse. But... I have RWD and I glide going uphill in reverse in snow, so I couldn't tell you what is wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OoTLink said:
Try backing in next time :D
I wish I had my camera here today, you would have seen something that would make you cry like a baby.

My house is uphill by my driveway is slightly downhill. Not steep, not at all. it snowed yesterday for a few hours, nice layer of fluffy white. And today we had 7 (!) different cars of builders that went to my house to deliver goods. The cheapest cars you can imagine, most French cars (this is France after all). All of them got to my house and back. I could NOT leave, not forwards, not backwards. Not with ABS on, not with ABS off. Not with 180 (!)kg in the boot, not with the car empty. Not without people pushing and not with 4 rather big french builders pushing.

I have the most expensive car in the small village by far. And I know that when I finally get it into the village most folks will pee their pants with laughter as I pass them. Now I got three cars with ABS and tractions control systems (the 300, BMW 5 and an Mercedes 5 series), the BMW just glide uphill on summer tires without any drama (I just push the pedal down fully and let the computer figure it out), the huge 12 cylinder Mercedes has 15 year old electronics but just drives uphill with a bit of wheel spin here and there while the 300 rips open the driveway even with traction control on. One of the buiders brought my daugther to school on a 16 year of Renault 4, a car he paid around $350 for last week.

The tires on the car are the stock tires they deliver in Europe and I know they totally and utterly suck in snow, but this was far out. I'll get the car to the garage asap, tell them to either install a new set or tires, fix something (although I actually believe the traction control system just sucks totally as it does on so many US cars, just to slow to react), or get me a 4x4 for when it snows. Heck this car is 7 weeks old! I am totally surprised to see other people here reporting their cars do well on snow. What tires are they on? Did they tweak the traction control system? Do they drive on any sloped surface at all?

Rant mode off, still love the car, but darned if this does not make my blood boil, I had to drive the 5 series BMW the whole day, my wifes car!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have the stock Conti's (non-seal) on my C. The only time I had an issue was on a steep incline at a customer's house (Probably 30+ degrees at the minimum) and it was ice, not snow. I tried to hit it at a curve (his driveway was blocked by another vehicle straight on) and it slid. So I asked the other guy to move. He had an SUV. It took him 2 tries from a straight away to get out. I straightened the C up, and it went out the first try, with virtually no problems at all. I'd say check your tires or try and get a good straight run, and it'll be fine. We live in a heavy snow area here and so far, it's been far better than I expected. Just fyi.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MrHappy said:
I have the stock Conti's (non-seal) on my C. The only time I had an issue was on a steep incline at a customer's house (Probably 30+ degrees at the minimum) and it was ice, not snow. I tried to hit it at a curve (his driveway was blocked by another vehicle straight on) and it slid. So I asked the other guy to move. He had an SUV. It took him 2 tries from a straight away to get out. I straightened the C up, and it went out the first try, with virtually no problems at all. I'd say check your tires or try and get a good straight run, and it'll be fine. We live in a heavy snow area here and so far, it's been far better than I expected. Just fyi.
I am pretty sure we tried it any way possible, spend two hours on it. The tires are brand new (only 5 days old in fact). I can only imagine that the traction control system is not okay. A friend will come tomorrow with his 300crd, then we will know more. Either I will be just as pissed or there will be two 300crd's in front of my house and two guys getting drunk right before lunch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts