Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because our town has tons of hills, I happen to be using them a lot, and well, the tranny shifts a lot - anyway, let's say I'm accelerating up a hill, crest it, and let off..

Have you ever had the car hold the gear for a moment, but then instead of upshifting or holding the gear, it just dumps it to 5th? Makes a soft thud for me when that happens, if I randomly tap the gas while coasting enough to make the car downshift and suddenly let off, same thing will happen.

Is it normal, is it MDS failing, or is the O-ring messed up again?

Also, anyone ever have that experience where you floor it while doing say, 20, and the car takes a second thinking about whether or not to downshift and haul ass?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Sounds about normal to me.
It may be slipping right into 5-th and/or MDS. Try rolling out of the throttle as you crest the hills instead of an abrupt "let off".
I don't think it's an MDS issue. If it were an O-ring issue you'd have tranny oil under the car where you park.
You might also try re-calibrating the throttle and tranny to help with the slow downshift reaction to applied throttle. They involve playing with the key and throttle to improve throttle response, and pulling a fuse (#11 I believe) to get the TCM or PCM to lose their Granny attitudes.
Do a search for complete instructions.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ive noticed that my 300c likes to shift down while going down hills while in cruise. Never had it on any other car ive driven. guess its in the nature of our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Ive noticed that my 300c likes to shift down while going down hills while in cruise. Never had it on any other car ive driven. guess its in the nature of our cars.
Yep, mine does too. So did my Crown Victoria and Thunderbird (yeah, I was a Ford man until the 300 came out). It does this to keep the speed set on the cruise control.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Because our town has tons of hills, I happen to be using them a lot, and well, the tranny shifts a lot - anyway, let's say I'm accelerating up a hill, crest it, and let off..

Have you ever had the car hold the gear for a moment, but then instead of upshifting or holding the gear, it just dumps it to 5th? Makes a soft thud for me when that happens, if I randomly tap the gas while coasting enough to make the car downshift and suddenly let off, same thing will happen.

Also, anyone ever have that experience where you floor it while doing say, 20, and the car takes a second thinking about whether or not to downshift and haul ass?
This is normal.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard the V6s and SRT8s downshift when you slow down, but the 300C doesn't due to MDS, that true?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The transmission in my 5.7L 300C (MDS-equipped and enabled) downshifts under extended braking like while descending a long hill. Helps keep car from speeding up on the downgrade and helps save the brakes. I may even help by manually slapping it down to 3-rd or 2-nd gear.
My wife's '05 Equinox does it too.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
If you are driving around town, then leave the car in 4th gear.
See if that stops the clunking.

I always drive in 4th gear unless I am on the freeway.
5th gear is the dead zone and does nothing but bog the car down.

·
Registered
484 Posts
....5th gear is the dead zone and does nothing but bog the car down.
AND 5th gear allows ESP to kick in.......as well as bog it down :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I hate the way my car upshifts, it feels super sloppy, also
when floored I like to be able to let off the gas to up shift like all other cars I have owned, instead it stays in that gear until it feeling like up shifting

05 300c 30k

·
Registered
278 Posts

I guess the best way to check it is ask the dealer to make sure you are not low on fluid, if not I would consider it ok...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I hate the way my car upshifts, it feels super sloppy, also
when floored I like to be able to let off the gas to up shift like all other cars I have owned, instead it stays in that gear until it feeling like up shifting

05 300c 30k
Go to the engine and pull fuse 11 (2005-2007) only for 30 secs with the car off. Then drive the car like you stole it. The shifting gets much better. Its sloppy right now cuz its in granny mode.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Go to the engine and pull fuse 11 (2005-2007) only for 30 secs with the car off. Then drive the car like you stole it. The shifting gets much better. Its sloppy right now cuz its in granny mode.
It is only in Granny mode if the car is driven by a granny.
Pulling fuse 11 is only a short term fix. Car will quickly revert back to granny mode if driver keeps reverting back to old driving ways.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It is only in Granny mode if the car is driven by a granny.
Pulling fuse 11 is only a short term fix. Car will quickly revert back to granny mode if driver keeps reverting back to old driving ways.
exactly, but judging from how he said shifts are sloppy car must be in granny mode.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I pull fuse 11 all the time, just got a flashpaq super chip

but I need the dealer to upgrade the software in order
for the superchip to alter the shifting, I plan to have that done soon along with a tranny flush and fluid change

only at 30k

05 300c

1 - 16 of 16 Posts