Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transmissiom woes... **UPDATE** 8-12-08

So on Thursday my dealer replaced my egr valve. Other then the sputtering from that and the p0406 code it ran great. After the install I drove it for a day and then drove with a car full of people to NY for a car show. Going there on the highway I was fine. The next day we got some heavy rain and I think this is when my troubles started. What happens is as I accelerate up to highway speed around 57 - 60 mph and 2k or so rpm's I get a shudder from the tranny. Its best described as driving over a rumble strip and lasts for less then a second. It is substantial enough for the vibrations to be seen in my drivers side mirror. My car is a 2005 touring 3.5l with the 42RLE tranny. I did some searches on this and only came up with problems for the NAG1 and nothing for mine.

What I am thinking happened is when the dealer replaced the egr they may have tweaked the dipstick tube for the trans and broke the seal allowing water in. I guess the easy way to check will be to have them see if there is water in there. It can be seen on the tube how they had to move it to get the intake manifold off to do the egr, so i'm thinking thats the case.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Sounds like water coming in through the sensor seal. Tons of posts here about that issue.

Ensure they follow the TBS 'fix" and replace all the tranny fluid - under waranty, of course.

·
Administrator
23,442 Posts
Yeah I agree and they may need to replace the torque converter as well.

Bernie

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem is ... 47k miles. It would be on my tab. I did buy an extended warranty but that comes with a $500 co pay for things of this nature.

Is there a performance torque converter out there for this trans? I know it was used in more cars then the 300, such as some jeeps.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Chances are that there is no real damage. Simply have the tranny flushed and refilled. There is no tranny dipstick, but the seal around the tranny sensor has been known to leak. Have it replaced.

None of this work should cost big $$$$.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a quote of $200 for a power tranny flush.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
**UPDATE**

So I took the tech for a ride and he also felt the shudder so they took my car in and gave me a shiny 2008 toyota tundra crew max (baller truck) to drive around in the mean time. The dealership then took the car to my preferred service department and they confirmed the same shudder and needed to drop the pan.
Today I called them and they said yes they found contamination in the tranny but they also found foreign objects which im assuming came from the trans itself. This leade me to believe I will be seeing a new trans @ 42k miles... ouch. I though I had gotten past my tranny problems with my 97 ram ss/t but now this...jeeze.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turns out a snap ring broke somewhere in the tranny and passed through some of the valve body and scarred some surfaces.

42300 miles

tranny dead

·
Registered
225 Posts
turns out a snap ring broke somewhere in the tranny and passed through some of the valve body and scarred some surfaces.

42300 miles

tranny dead

That sucks. I had a 01 Impala 3.8L with a dead tranny at 38K miles which I bought brand new. Good thing you have an extended warranty and only have to pay $500 and not $4K that I had to pay.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't remember what made me think it was $500... its actually $100 which sweetens the deal for me! Not that having my car in now for a new trans is sweet or anything...
That sucks. I had a 01 Impala 3.8L with a dead tranny at 38K miles which I bought brand new. Good thing you have an extended warranty and only have to pay $500 and not $4K that I had to pay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Holy (fill in the blake)!!!!!

I just had my car's tranny service at Chrysler and 4 days after having it done, I am just getting ready to post something on here about this same thing!!!! My car ran 110% before it was serviced. I was just having the plugs changed and thought I'd have the tranny serviced as well at the same time. Do you think that they broke something?

I haven't really driven the car since then until this Monday. So, 2 days ago, I started to notice that something wasn't quite right. When I got all over it, the car seemed very, very sluggish (I know it's a 2.7 but I bought it new and I'm very familiar with how it used to run.) Then, when I hit about 35mph and it kicks in to OD, the rmp begins to flex 500 rpm's (between 1250-1750) up and down on a straight level grade of the highway with a stead throttle. If I thrash it, it sluggishly shifts and takes off, but again at higher speeds it still doesn't hold a consistent idle. If you've every run off the road where they have the 'vibrate alerts' to wake you up and let you know you have run off the road, this is what the car feels like, minus the noise of the 'vibrate alerts' mentioned above. There is no vibration in the wheel at all, just seems like sputtering/jumping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts