Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. First, let me say, I love the forums. What a blessing to have so many knowledgeable folks in one place with the same passion. Thank you.
So, tonight I was driving my 2006 3.5 RWD touring on the expressway in San Antonio. It was raining slightly. I drove over a highway expansion joint or something that really made my car bounce. Not hard like hitting a pothole but still a pretty fair jolt. Instantly, all my dash lights came on and the car appeared to disengage from drive and into neutral although the gear selector still showed drive. I gave it a little gas and the rims increased as though it was in neutral. I physically moved the gear selector to neutral and back to drive and it reengaged. I was probably going 50-55 when it occured. The dash lights only stayed on a couple seconds. The car seemed fine after that. Then, on my return trip home I encountered the same bump on the opposite side of the road. The same thing occured exactly. I was nearly out of fuel so I stopped right after to fill up. Everything seemed okay after. I used the paddle shifter and all gears engaged. Then I used the automatic and the gears shifted themselves too. The only other thing I could think of is the battery compartment in the trunk. I had the spare tire cover out and a bunch of stuff in the trunk from my drive down from illinois a couple days back. Some tools, a jack, light, etc. These things certainly bounced around and possibly into the battery when I hit the bump. I'll certainly clean up everything tomorrow morning. I'm truly at a loss. I have to return to Illinois in a couple days and really need this car to get me there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely-Dr. Rev. Jeffrey G.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Your battery terminals should be protected by your spare tire cover at least, and possibly by terminal protectors as well.

My suspicion would be loose, dirty or corroded grounds, either underhood or in the trunk, followed by loose battery terminals.

You might possibly have a bad battery or alternator.

By the way, that's the very first Touring I've ever heard of with paddle shifters. The previous owner must have spent a bundle on that mod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts