Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I leased a new 2008 300C a little under 2 weeks ago. After a day of potting around I determined there was definitely something amiss with the driveability of the car. Something appeared to be "pulling the car back".. from what I've read it sounds like the torque-converter is locking up ... whether the car is doing 35km in town or whether I'm on the highway doing 100km or more ... it feels like I am being forced up a gear everytime. This causes a shudder/vibration in the car - and in fact every person that has been in the car with me has remarked "what's up with your car?".

I had previously leased a 2004 300c and thd shifting and performance was fantastic, so I am not a stranger to the car and have a pretty good idea of what I should expect performance-wise. I certainly had a decent enough experience to stick with the model..

So, I took the car to the dealership after about 350km (figured I'd test it out thoroughly on the highway), and they have had it for a week - after a number of calls to obtain a status report, they had indicated it might be an ECM/PCM issue - they flashed the latest versions, then they took another road test and the tech. had confirmed there was a "driveability issue". They apparently have exhausted the computer update options and a comment was also made that it might be an MDS issue. I received a call this morning informing me that I should pick up my car this evening - as Chrysler had informed them that I should run the vehicle in for 2000km ... as there is a "breaking-in" period for the torque-converter??!! I am NOT happy - even the owner manual states the vehicle does not require a running in period - but more importantly - it runs like a donkey... not like I have a 5.7L hemi under the hood...

Has anyone had any similar issues? Is it really possible that after 2000km the driveability is going to miraculously become great? It really sounds to me like they are blowing smoke up my nether regions and wasting my time. I'm in Canada, and we don't have "lemon laws" - and I am - to say the least - not happy about paying $$ a month to 'run in' a car which I suspect will be no different in a months time.

If anyway has any ideas, suggestions or comment - I'd love to hear from you... I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do here...

Thanks gajit.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Welcome! I see you have a 2008. The only thing I can suggest is pulling fuse #2 in the front Power Distribution Centre for 15 seconds. This will clear the adaptive memory that makes you feel like you're driving a granny mobile. Drive her with "spirit" after that. These cars go into granny mode and learn quickly as a fuel saving measure.

The reason I mentioned your 2008 is because for earlier models it's fuse #11. Do a search on fuse 11 and you should be able to get a lot of insight into this.

Let us know if this helps.

While you're aat it, how about introducing yourself in the new members area http://www.300cforums.com/forums/new-member-introductions-member-assistance/.

Bernie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bernie - off to introduce myself now. And thanks for the info. I'm picking her up tonight and I'll try it this weekend.
I just spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership after leaving a very disgruntled message. He does assure me that engineering is certain the "running" in period will help and that he has observed it in another 2008 model - offering to come out on a roadtest with me...

I'm just hoping it's not new 'technology' and that it is now the norm in an effort to "help the environment".... i'm really rueing the fact I never roadtested the vehicle before I signed the new lease....

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again!
g.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I just spoke to the service manager at my dealership. He confirmed that there IS a problem and that Chrylser engineering are working on it. But he believes it could be a couple of months before we see a fix.

Apparently, the changes made to the adaptive computer are causing the lock-up to occur too early and/or MDS to cut in on later models ... but not sure exactly what the issue is...

He did also mention that the tech. had disabled the MDS and the symptoms (shuddering and poor performance) went away... but said it's not black and white and is probably a combination of MDS and torque lock-up issues.

I'll update as and when I can... but it looks like I'm driving my 300'B' for the next couple of months...

Now, the trick is to get Chrysler to admit there is an issue in writing....

Off to look for a Toyota Echo to burn off.....

G.

·
Registered
13 Posts
same problem with my 05

Had the converter changed too...still drives like Sh&^

The lock up and the mds do not seem to know how to talk to eah other...I think this is a design issue...........!!

COuld you advise how they turned off the MDS ? Can it be done without the dealer ? Anyone can help on this would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK for all those that are having serious vibration coming from the engine & engine RPM's not matching the speeds. I just finished dealing with that with my 2005 300C. I originally took it in for a water leak @ the water pump & a EGR valve causing the check engine light to come on. After picking it back up from the dealership the car was vibrating & I asked what was the deal and they stated that it was a vacuum leak somewhere. To the point they told me that it was the MDS so I wasn't sure if I could trust them anymore since having to take it back to them 5 times just to fix the water leak. Anyway I still had the vibrating problem that I thought was some bad gas. So while I was working on my car stereo Install I left the radio playing & ran my car Battery completely dead so I had to wait a couple of hours to have it charged at Autozone. When I connected the battery it seemed to have cleared the problem that I was having with the MDS sensors. You have 8 of them on the V8 which controls how much oil the pistons that are firing receive. So It's been working so far, But my check engine light just came back on because it's acting like it don't want to start right away. Normally it starts right up but it takes like 2 or 3 seconds before it turns over. It might be from me changing the spark plugs to the Bosh Platinums. Well we'll see I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK for all those that are having serious vibration coming from the engine & engine RPM's not matching the speeds. I just finished dealing with that with my 2005 300C. I originally took it in for a water leak @ the water pump & a EGR valve causing the check engine light to come on. After picking it back up from the dealership the car was vibrating & I asked what was the deal and they stated that it was a vacuum leak somewhere. To the point they told me that it was the MDS so I wasn't sure if I could trust them anymore since having to take it back to them 5 times just to fix the water leak. Anyway I still had the vibrating problem that I thought was some bad gas. So while I was working on my car stereo Install I left the radio playing & ran my car Battery completely dead so I had to wait a couple of hours to have it charged at Autozone. When I connected the battery it seemed to have cleared the problem that I was having with the MDS sensors. You have 8 of them on the V8 which controls how much oil the pistons that are firing receive. So It's been working so far, But my check engine light just came back on because it's acting like it don't want to start right away. Normally it starts right up but it takes like 2 or 3 seconds before it turns over. It might be from me changing the spark plugs to the Bosh Platinums. Well see I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK, an update..

I've been driving in 4th for some time now (thanks joey). That addresses the lockup when not on the highway - but gas consumption takes a hit. But still have the same driveability issues on the highway when in D.

I received a reply from Chrysler to a letter I had sent explaining my frustrations. They basically said there is nothing they can do and the dealer network has been setup to handle any issues I have!! Yet it is thr dealer that is waiting for engineering to come up with a fix??? Go figure. So the letter, basically says "sorry about your luck, here's a $50 mopar gift certificate for your trouble" ...

Service manager @ Oxford Dodge just called me to tell me that they can't reprogram the MDS in any way as Chrysler secure it all with some major encryption etc and that he would continue to inform me of any news from engineering if he got some...

He also stated that the issues are related to government legislation to adhere to stricter fuel consumption guidelines. But from what he is saying, it doesn't sound like I should be holding my breath. Although he says that there are a number of complaints about the '08's, both here in Canada and in the States, it seems that this is 'how it is' as a result of the legislation... he certainly made it sound like I could be stuck with this car like this for another 2 years...

Frankly, that is a cop out - I don't hear of issues with other manufacturers' vehicles and I'm sure they have to adhere to legislation also.

Time to escalate this I think...

With no/few "lemon" laws here in Ontario, I am aware there is an organization set up for arbitration CAMVAP. Does anyone have any experience with this process?

I'm thinking I should be claiming back a portion of my lease payment based on the fact that I am driving a car that is NOT performing as it should - but the more I think about it, I just want to get out of my lease and move on....

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
g.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Just for the record... there are FOUR MDS Selonoids on the 5.7 Hemi (6.1's do not have MDS) and they control the valves on the cylinders that get deactivated. The PCM stops the injectors for those cylinders from firing.

Gajit,

Sounds like a typical Chrysler canned response. Chrysler is one of THE WORST auto manufacturers out there, when it comes to customer satisfaction. Once they get your money, they don't honestly seem to care. As much as I love my 300, there will not be another Chrysler in my garage from this day forth, unless some real company takes over Chrysler, fires everyone from the top to the bottom and starts over, from SCRATCH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts