Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took car to shop have a 2009 Chrysler 300c hemi the shop told me transmission is bad quoted me at 6500 I can't afford that is this over priced just got car a couple months back what price should I pay for a re build

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Took car to shop have a 2009 Chrysler 300c hemi the shop told me transmission is bad quoted me at 6500 I can't afford that is this over priced just got car a couple months back what price should I pay for a re build
I wouldn't pay for a rebuild on an 12-year-old 300C. Good used NAG1 transmissions are plentiful and cheap, just find a local shop to replace the seals, fluid, and filter, and install it for you. I'd have a target price of around $1,200-1,500 all up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't pay for a rebuild on an 12-year-old 300C. Good used NAG1 transmissions are plentiful and cheap, just find a local shop to replace the seals, fluid, and filter, and install it for you. I'd have a target price of around $1,200-1,500 all up.
So just get a used tranny and have shop do the work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's a good place to buy a nag one tranny at looking online but worried about being scammed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a second opinion. Try another shop first. Maybe the issue can be fixed by servicing the trans or replacing some parts like shift solenoids, filters, valve body, etc. rather that a complete rebuild. What's wrong with the car? Any check engine light or codes? Are you experiencing driveability or shifting issues? How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Get a second opinion. Try another shop first. Maybe the issue can be fixed by servicing the trans or replacing some parts like shift solenoids, filters, valve body, etc. rather that a complete rebuild. What's wrong with the car? Any check engine light or codes? Are you experiencing driveability or shifting issues? How many miles on the car?
Or, even a third or fourth opinion, until you can get someone to actually troubleshoot it and give you a true assessment of what is probably going on. What is going on with it and what are the DTC's that are showing? What are the symptoms and existing conditions? What is the condition of the fluid and when was it last serviced? Is the fluid level correct.....using the procedure outlined in the FSM?

I had a shop try to scam me on the one in my 5.7 Magnum. Worked perfect one day and not the next. I troubleshot it, made sure everything was current (fluid/filter condition/level, etc.), reset codes and they kept coming back. Finally had it towed to a highly recommended "reputable" transmission shop and they did exactly the same things I did and said it needed a new transmission for about $4500. I said BS, transmissions don't normally "just fail" like that overnight. Anyway, long story short, it turned out to be the Transmission Control Module....about $200. Imagine what I would have ended up paying after the $4500 "new" tranny didn't fix the problem......maybe another $1000-2000???? That's why ANY SHOP is my last resort and I'll just listen to them and their BS first and then make a determination on my course of action. By the way, that was the first time I've taken any of my rides to any shop (other than Stealer recalls) for anything in about the last 30 years. Seems a lot of shops are much more crooked now than in years gone by. What ever happened to good old troubleshooting and logical diagnosis???

·
Registered
157 Posts
A new transmission at the dealer installed is only $4000-4500. NEVER take you car back to those guys again.
but yea you can go the cheaper route and get a used transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what is the transmission doing? when the shop is telling you you need a new transmission I would ask myself what is the issue. The only time I would say a new transmission is if the clutch disc are bad and they have to tear the whole thing apart. Without knowing the symptoms or codes it’s hard to determine what is going on. The Nag has a history of the conductor plate going bad. I agree that it needs to be properly evaluated not told you need a new transmissio.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you get any service parts for the NAG1 trans, use FCP Euro as they carry the exact same parts with a Mercedes Benz part number for about a 4th the cost of the stealership. I got a brand new conductor plate for mine in my '14 300C hemi car for $150 as opposed to almost $700 from the stealership, it had the M-B part number cast in the plastic just like the old one I pulled out, they are identical.
Filter kit with electrical plug insert, filter, gasket and associated o-rings cost about 35 bucks, and use the Mopar ATF, it works well and is readily available at an actual reasonable cost from said stealership.
I resprung/respooled my trans with a Transgo kit, also put AMG blue top solenoids in it and it gets 1-2 rubber now no problem on full throttle upshifts. It had kind of slip 'n' slide shifting before, works great now.
Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts