Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my trans was fine and my mileage was around 80k so i got the fluid flushed
(a monroe mufler here in columbus) they assured me it was no problem and they knew how to do it etc ...
well first problem after they were done they told me i have to buy the trans dipstick because they dont have one (wtf)
it would have been great to know that beforehand
he said they guessed and put 5.5 qts in it

now my beloved 2006 300c shifts hard, sometimes misses shifts, and the engine light is on
aaaagggghhhhhh!

it worked fine before i trusted someone else to work on it.

someone anyone help me
i called the dealer today and they couldnt schedule me this weekend so at least two more days of worry.
btw the dealer stated would check fluid level for 40 dollars... this freakin sux!
-chad

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
The super strong German engineered WA580 5 speed transmission with a 3 stage torque converter that is in our cars has proven to be very tough.

Chrysler decided to not put a transmission dip stick on the tranny, as they can measure fluid level using the Chrysler StarScan diagnostic system. Owners who prefer a dipstick can get one through a Mercedes dealer.

That being said, flushing, cleaning and refilling the transmission fluid (fluid levels are critical) is best done by a good Chrysler service department.

I recommend that you have a good Chrysler (or Dodge) service department redo the work to manufacturer's specs, asap, rather than risk damaging your transmission.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Too little or too much ATF can be equally bad for your transmission:

A low fluid level allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. Air in the fluid will cause fluid pressures to be low and develop slower than normal. If the transmission is overfilled, the gears churn the fluid into foam. This aerates the fluid and causing the same conditions occurring with a low level. In either case, air bubbles cause fluid overheating, oxidation, and varnish buildup which interferes with valve and clutch operation. Foaming also causes fluid expansion which can result in fluid overflow from the transmission vent or fill tube. Fluid overflow can easily be mistaken for a leak if inspection is not careful.
If only the fluid was flushed and the filter changed, the service manual says 7.0L (7.4 qts) should be the correct amount.

I see Northern Rider has posted, but he's right. Go to a dealer!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
913 Posts
my trans was fine and my mileage was around 80k so i got the fluid flushed
(a monroe mufler here in columbus) they assured me it was no problem and they knew how to do it etc ...

Just curious - Monroe ? Why would you have brought your car to this type of establishment in the first place?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they mounted my tires from tire rack... i dont like people other than myself working on my vehicle but they convinced me they were capable to do this :( (that a super sad face)
i wont have this happen again!
im going to check the fluid level myself right now (using the diy homemade dipstick insructions)... i expect its low

·
Registered
913 Posts
Understandable, they got ya. Those type of shops are the automotive service equivalent of pirate ships. Follow Rambits and Northerns advice - hopefully there is no long term damage to your tranny - let this experience be a lesson for you - Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't sure they used the right fluid so I went to the dealer$ 210 more but now I have peace of mind and she runs perfect! I got the filter changed changed the fluid etc.
Also it was almost 3qts low.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Damn that was low!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
913 Posts
Looks like its time to sit down and have a serious discussion with the manager and owner of Monroe muffler. :nutkick:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts