Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I have had a problem recently where I think the problem is the transmission shifts oddly at wrong speeds. It's mainly a point of the car will shift into OD while at 30 miles per hour so the second I touch the gas to accelerate a little, it shifts down into 4th or 3rd abruptly and has a horrible jump. I have the 2006 5.7 and am running on fairly old plugs, maybe 50-60k miles.. Planning on replacing the tomorrow. Could what I be feeling possibly be engine misfires or is the engine possibly shifting into OD to try and conserve gas at low speeds due to bad plugs? This problem overall makes it a nuisance to try to even accelerate a little on the highway because the car will constantly shift back and forth. I had a service about 10,000 miles ago to fix the transmission shudder problem and that problem went away. The fluid was replaced and a new dipstick seal was applied. Now I am having this problem and am wondering if anyone can help?

EDIT:
I've done the 3 key turn trick to try and get codes and just get a few dashed lines, assuming that means no codes?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
All dashes means no codes.

I'd take it out of OD at slow speeds around town. You are slipping the transmission and causing excess heat, which can kill a transmission. It's also terrible for fuel mileage and loads up (carbons) the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am wondering why the car decided to start doing this recently. I have 122,000 miles and it's only started doing it recently... Is there a reason it is deciding to shift into OD at slow speeds. I have been using the autostick to put it into 4th most of the time but am wondering if something is causing a bigger issue.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Ah...new information to consider.

Yes, at 122k it could be a pump or pressure issue.

Is the fluid at the proper level?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wouldn't be able to check but it was filled to spec from the transmission shop. Maybe depleted as it filled in or something. Is there a cheaper way to check level rather than buying one of those miller dipsticks? There hasnt been any fluid leaking so I don't know where it would have gone.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Thanks MADDOG.

I trust the Friendly Giant sized zip tie dipstick method as advised is good for a 5.7 and 6.1?

Thanks again.

Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I went ahead and did the zip tie dipstick. Tried it out and got varied results each time. It seems I'm not able to get the zip tie to stop at the right point, sometimes I would hit a point and pull it out with the fluid too low, then sometimes I would push it in and pull it out, finding the fluid to be well above the highest mark. Fluid is the correct bright red/pink color without any discoloration or burnt smell. If I get the dipstick right, fluid might be low. Also, back to the spark plugs... I went to replace them and found most of them to be stuck in there, probably due to their age. Is there any way of working them out or should I just bring it to a shop?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The plugs in the 5.7L engine are supposed to be changed at 30K-mile intervals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I know, read first post... I understand they were supposed to be changed earlier but couldn't do anything about it right now because they are stuck in head

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Yes I know, read first post... I understand they were supposed to be changed earlier but couldn't do anything about it right now because they are stuck in head
If/when you do replace them put some never cease compound on the threads. And don't over-torque them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts