Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all.

On my "C" when I release the gas pedal to coast. I hear a whining sound that appears to be coming from the transmission. It only seems to happen when I am traveling at about 40 to 45 and I let up on the gas. As soon as I press on the gas even a little bit it goes away. I have never heard this kind of noise in any other car I have ever owned. Any ideas.

SWARICK

Jade "C" in AZ

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It might be the torque converter. But this is just my scientific-wild-ass-guess because at around 40 miles an hour I really notice the torque converter kick-in and effect the throttle response and RPM. T

·
Registered
101 Posts
swarick said:
Question for all.

On my "C" when I release the gas pedal to coast. I hear a whining sound that appears to be coming from the transmission. It only seems to happen when I am traveling at about 40 to 45 and I let up on the gas. As soon as I press on the gas even a little bit it goes away. I have never heard this kind of noise in any other car I have ever owned. Any ideas.

SWARICK

Jade "C" in AZ
I can only relate this to an experience I had with my '02 Suburban when my rear end went bad on me. The problem started with the same symptoms you are describing, a slight whining or humming sound and only when I let up on the gas. However the noise happened from 30 mph on. There was not a speed above 30 where it went away unless I applied the gas. I did not notice any performance problems until the noise got very noticeable. They had to replace the entire rear end. With your description of it sounding like it is coming from the transmission and only between 40 & 45, it sounds like you might have a problem with one of the gears in the 5 speed tranny. Now for the disclaimer, I am by no means a mechanic or claim to be one, just talking from my personal experience. I know there are a couple of Chrysler/Dodge techs that are members of this forum, maybe they can help.

I would take it in, if for no other reason than to bring it to the attention of the dealer in case it gets worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts