Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an '06 300c with a 5 speed auto. There is a loud humming noise, which sounds like it's coming from the transfer case. The noise is worse once the car heats-up. Any suggestions, or similar problems?? 2 separate dealers can't seem to diagnose. I have an extended Chrysler warranty on this car valid until December.

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,574 Posts
No worries. A whine in a gear box like that can signal a low fluid level, a worn output shaft bearing or an internal bearing problem. Also, check any intermediate bearings in the drivetrain and your C/V joints (and boots) between the case and the wheel.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
You didn't mention how may miles on the car? I just flushed/changed our 2006 transmission (not AWD) for the second time at 121k miles. Also flushed and changed the coolant, steering, brake and rear differential fluids so that it was as good as new to hand off to our son and family for the next 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
The dealer should be able to check the vehicle's maintenance history for whatever was done at/by a dealer. If it doesn't show appropriate fluid changes at least once in the 100k+ miles, then I would consider doing what I just did for all fluids as soon as convenient. For me the cost was about $1500, but I consider that well worth the peace of mind whether I'm driving it or my son's family is driving it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts