Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my neighbor, he lives across the street. He's a sheriff for the clackamas county about 45 minutes away. I work graveyard and so does he. Sometimes i see him on the hwy on the way home. He's a real cool guy.

Today on the way home i was able to get next to him with no traffic in front of us. We both gun it, of course he starts to pull on me we let off at about 80mph or so. It was fun!

It's really funny because i basically followed him all the way home, and other cars drive really slow because hes a cop but we both just drive past everyone....It's great when you know cops, you can get away with a lot.

How nice it must be to drive a Charger as a cop car!

Sorry for crappy pics, but its only my iphone camera. Click to enlarge.

sam1 (Large).jpg sam2 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he is allowed to park his service vehicle at home? Does he take it to the supermarket too?:thumbsdow
Yes he gets to take it home, and no he can not drive it while off duty. I know in this state some cops have there own cop car that no one else drives.

Not sure what the circumstances are to get your own car, but i know he's been a cop for a long time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is my neighbor, he lives across the street. He's a sheriff for the clackamas county about 45 minutes away. I work graveyard and so does he. Sometimes i see him on the hwy on the way home. He's a real cool guy.

Today on the way home i was able to get next to him with no traffic in front of us. We both gun it, of course he starts to pull on me we let off at about 80mph or so. It was fun!

It's really funny because i basically followed him all the way home, and other cars drive really slow because hes a cop but we both just drive past everyone....It's great when you know cops, you can get away with a lot.

How nice it must be to drive a Charger as a cop car!

Sorry for crappy pics, but its only my iphone camera. Click to enlarge.

View attachment 27723 View attachment 27722

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I used to get away with a ton when the old town marshall was here, knew him pretty well. Never raced him, always asked him. He would always say it depends on whether he wins or loses the race, I'd ask which one would get me a ticket and he would always say, We'll just have to see. I don't know the new cop much so I don't know what I can get away with, He drives a new Charger cop car so maybe I'll have to go try and break the ice with him.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Coming from personal experience jaded?

·
Registered
224 Posts
im very very jealous. cops in dc suck. cops in montgomery country, md are even worse.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've ran into some on the other side of the potomac in arlington and your right the cops over there aren't very cool customers.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
nahh, just always remember they are still a cop.
True. I definately don't speed much through town, There was a website back in the late 90's that rated my town as one of the top fifty speed traps in america. For good reason too, a small town like this gets a lot of revinue from tickets and also explains why in such a small town of only 600 people the towns only fulltime police officer drives a Charger, for the most part the highway patrol are the ones around here who have those in abundance. I don't take my chances much anymore. When I was a Teenager it was one of those things where if you were from here you usually got away with almost any traffic offense and it was the outsiders that got pulled over, not anymore. Everybody's free game these days.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've seen that Charger around a lot. I thought he lived around the corner from me on Mt. Scott (sorry for the local reference).

Anywho, I love that car. You can't see any lights on it unless he lights them up. Overall, the Sherrifs in our neck of the woods are generally pretty cool. They deal with a lot of rural stuff and do a ton of search and rescue on the rivers in the area. In my mind, they aren't the guys hanging out at the donut shop.

Scott

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's what's wrong with this . . . . .

ks503, As an overtaxed American :unitedsta like you, I object to city or county assets like police cars being allowed to be 'personal' use of employees. This is malfeasance of taxpayer's funds (for the extra cars purchased and the gas to take them to and from home), because the next two shifts that have to cover the same geographic area also have 'their own cruisers' . In other words, it takes 200 percent more police cars to cover the same area in a day !
Now, I realize, you can't drive the same patrol car 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on patrol. But, it would be at least a 50 percent reduction in expense if they cut this ' personal cruiser' policy, and therefore saving us taxpayers a helluva lot of money. Our county (New Hanover) here in North Carolina does the same thing and it drives me nuts. :grumpy: Government is out of FREEKING control ! :zx11pisse We have got to put the B R A KE S on these government slugs ! ! !
What say you all ? :question:

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Hey! You asked, right?

When they went to drive-them-home here quite a few years ago they offered studies that showed cars permanently assigned to one officer actually saved them money. You can believe it or not, but it made sense to me. I certainly don't have any independent knowledge.

You're right, obviously, that they can't be driven 24/7. Better care is taken of cars that are permanently assigned. It's not unlike what we all know happens to rental cars, especially the hot ones. :shocked1: The officers take more pride in them and get minor repairs done more quickly before they turn into major ones. In addition to just wanting it fixed because it's 'their' car, they're more familiar with it; they notice more quickly when something is unusual... a noise or a driving characteristic.

Too, drive-them-home can help with community policing. There's a conspicuous sign that an officer lives where it's parked. And it contributes to morale which in turn helps reduce officer turnover rates. The officers feel more respected by their employer and they don't have to endure driving a car that's been ragged out by others. The officers are also more available in an unusual emergency that requires them to be called in off-shift; they just drive to the site rather than having to go to HQ first. The officers here do not drive them for personal use - it's straight home and straight to their duty post, whether that's HQ first or somewhere else.

You seem pretty adamant in your dislike for the policy, and I respect that. Where I live it seems to work.

·
Registered
201 Posts
fadertoo, thanks for the input. I would like to see the numbers on the 'personal cruiser' policy versus 'common cruiser' program. I just can't believe it would come out less costly. Also, the 'intangibles' you mentioned have some value, but, in my mind, not worth the cost.
The city of Wilmington just expanded their motorcycle police unit last year, and guess what make motorcycles the purchased ? . . . . . Did they but American made Harley-Davidson's ? NOoooooo ! Did they but American-made (& Japenese owned corporation) Honda's ? NOooooo ! They bought top-end German-made BMW motorcycles ! Whyyyyyyyyyyyy ? Why buy a "Chevy" with taxpayer's money, when we can but a "Cadillac" ? What are the average citizens going to do about it ? And another thing, I have personally observed these 'motorcycle patrolmen' riding in PAIRS 9 times out of 10, that I have seen them. What the SAM-H3LL is that all about ? There AIN'T no efficiency in that policy ! The arrogance of the government bureaucrats today just astounds me.
Anyway, I encourage all of my fellow citizens to open your eyes, question obviously stupid policies and actions by public officials, and demand accountability !
. . . . . . How many times have you observed a government road crew while driving and noticed 3 people actually working with 3 supervising and 6 or 7 others watching the others work ? :soapbox:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
ks503, As an overtaxed American :unitedsta like you, I object to city or county assets like police cars being allowed to be 'personal' use of employees. This is malfeasance of taxpayer's funds (for the extra cars purchased and the gas to take them to and from home), because the next two shifts that have to cover the same geographic area also have 'their own cruisers' . In other words, it takes 200 percent more police cars to cover the same area in a day !
Now, I realize, you can't drive the same patrol car 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on patrol. But, it would be at least a 50 percent reduction in expense if they cut this ' personal cruiser' policy, and therefore saving us taxpayers a helluva lot of money. Our county (New Hanover) here in North Carolina does the same thing and it drives me nuts. :grumpy: Government is out of FREEKING control ! :zx11pisse We have got to put the B R A KE S on these government slugs ! ! !
What say you all ? :question:
:arms: :arms: :arms: :arms:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts