Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed my 2 front tires "Good Year Assurance" with 16k miles wearing on the outside edge, after searching the forum I found the TSB # 02-004-07 with revised wheel alignment specs. Am I right in in thinking this is probably the cause for the uneven wear? I plan on scheduling an appt. at the dealer this week ... what else should I ask them to look at besides the alignment specs? most likely I will replace all 4 tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 and I would hate to go through this again after buying new tires. anyone have thoughts on what my chances are for getting Chrysler to pay for at least the 2 front tires? my guess is slim to none. Also is anyone aware of someone having the TSB done and then still have the problem exist with uneven wear? any input would be great!

Ant

·
Registered
906 Posts
You're right about getting Chrysler to pay for the two front tires. Chances are Slim to None that it'll happen. Depending on how long you've had your car an alignment should be checked every 8,000 miles or so. I've had my alignment done on my car by the mechanics at the shop I work out 4 times already. By the way, the Primacy MXV4 is a good tire choice. If you do get them let me know how you like them, I've been thinking about getting those as well.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Too much toe-in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
NO, it's not to much toe in. Unless you are getting a feather, or cut, edge on each tread lug. If it is simply normal flat wear on the outer edges, it is postive camber. Which is the way these LX vehicles are set up at the factory. All of the SRT8's are getting it, and there is not much you can do about it without getting and aftermarket camber kit. But then the car would handle like crap.

Please report back your results from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
NO, it's not to much toe in. Unless you are getting a feather, or cut, edge on each tread lug. If it is simply normal flat wear on the outer edges, it is postive camber. Which is the way these LX vehicles are set up at the factory. All of the SRT8's are getting it, and there is not much you can do about it without getting and aftermarket camber kit. But then the car would handle like crap.

Dodge What???

·
Registered
650 Posts

I do nto get this.

It is not normal. I believe tie rods need to be checked and replaced. Problem spot. I think this is the reason they are changing front architecture in 2009 model. Anything wrong there will affect alignment. Alignment should not need to be done every 8,000 miles. I have never seen any new car which required this before I have got 300C.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right about getting Chrysler to pay for the two front tires. Chances are Slim to None that it'll happen. Depending on how long you've had your car an alignment should be checked every 8,000 miles or so. I've had my alignment done on my car by the mechanics at the shop I work out 4 times already. By the way, the Primacy MXV4 is a good tire choice. If you do get them let me know how you like them, I've been thinking about getting those as well.

I had the revised wheel alignment TSB # 02-004-07 done this week, when I made the appt. at the dealer I was told the wheel alignment would be done at no charge under the TSB but I would have to pay to mount and Road Force balance the 4 new tires I was installing. Now let's jump ahead 2 weeks to appt. day...while my CSR was doing the write up I asked if it was possible to have the new tires mounted and balanced at no charge since they have to be replaced at only 17k miles because of the wheel alignment specs? he them tell's me ohh you have to also pay for the wheel alignment because a wheel alignment is normal wear and tear, which I would agree with if the specs were right from the start. I told them I wasn't asking Chrysler or Good Year to pay the $650 for my new tires and so and so ... 10 minutes later, at this point the CS Manager is called into the picture, he explains because the car is over 1 year and or over 12k miles that is Chrysler policy. Then he said he would make a phone call to see what can be done for me ... 10 minutes later he comes back and tells me no luck Chrysler won't step up and cover the TSB for the wheel alignment or even mount and balance my new tires free. After about 5 minutes of going back and forth he tells me he would split the cost and charge me 1/2 price for the alignment and 1/2 price for the mounting and Road Force balance. I finally agreed for no other reason but to keep my high blood pressure under control. During the conversation it never got loud or heated in any way we were both calm and polite. As a side note my brother was with me because he was planning on buying a car for his wife at this dealership after he witnessed this he never even went into the showroom, later that day he bought an 08 Infiniti G35 sedan. I know he will spread the word about Chrysler not stepping up and in the end who knows how many sales they will have lost because of something so small like this I know it's at least one sale they lost. Also this dealership is probably the biggest car dealer in Bucks County Pennsylvania they sell Chrysler Dodge Chevrolet Mazda Lincoln Jaguar. BTW I'm Very happy with the Michelins very good ride and handling almost no road they seem like the perfect choice for the 300C. I Purchased them through tirerack ordered them on Friday afternoon they were at my door Monday morning.

·
Registered
580 Posts
was there a mileage and/or time limit on the TSB? If not, there is no reason they should not cover it free of charge, that's why it is a TSB. The normal policy is 12 months/12kmiles without the TSB. I'd file a complaint directly with Chrysler and the NHTSB that this dealership would not honor a TSB and maybe you'll get your $ back or some free oil changes?

I have not had very good experiences with Chrysler honoring their warranties. I continue to purchase these vehicles because I now have clients that own the dealership so I don't have any worries even when my cars have been out of factory 3/36.

·
Registered
300 Posts
300c

It never ceases to amaze me how chrysler corporation stays in business .
Alot of dealers shouldn't even sell cars - period . Here is where if cerberus sells off chrysler and breaks to pieces , dealers will be scratching their heads wondering why , DUH !!! Bunch of BOZO'S !
B D HEMI

·
Registered
44 Posts
My SRT8 was delivered with 4 mm toe in on the front wheels. The front tyres were showing excess wear on the outside shoulders after 2000 Kms.
Had an alignment done and the steering is much improved and the shoulder wear has reduced.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
My SRT8 was delivered with 4 mm toe in on the front wheels. The front tyres were showing excess wear on the outside shoulders after 2000 Kms.
Had an alignment done and the steering is much improved and the shoulder wear has reduced.
Can you tell us what the before/after alignment figures were/are? Or did the stealership keep that a secret?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts