Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Chrysler 300C with 4k miles. I read somewhere that Chrysler requires their brand of oil filter to maintain the vehicle warranty. Is this fact or fiction? If it is true, what TSB explains their policy? If it is not true, what filter brands meet their specs? I am considering using a Mobil 1 filter.

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
That's BS. There are hundreds of Oil Filters that are as good or better than the OEM one that will not void your warranty. I use the NAPA Gold filter, but I'm sure there are better ones. I never go over 5,000 kms before changing the filter and oil, so I'm not overly worried about buying the best and most expensive filter. I'm sure others will chime in with what they use.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
manual

if you are concerned about warranty, read the owners manual. The specs are easy to pass, and the filters are readily available at any store.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
if you are concerned about warranty, read the owners manual. The specs are easy to pass, and the filters are readily available at any store.
Even Mopar OEM filters are available most everywhere at competitive prices.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Courtesy of Deep Lava...

Mopar filters are made by Purolator...seeing is believing....

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's BS, but to avoid a confrontation when service is needed, I buy a Mopar filter from a Chy[Dodge][Jeep] dealer that does not gouge me on parts and take it to a local shop for oil changes. Besides, everyone knows it's the black paint that makes it better ;)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
It's BS, but to avoid a confrontation when service is needed, I buy a Mopar filter from a Chy[Dodge][Jeep] dealer that does not gouge me on parts and take it to a local shop for oil changes. Besides, everyone knows it's the black paint that makes it better ;)
You can purchase mopar filters at walmart for under $5.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I have a 2007 Chrysler 300C with 4k miles. I read somewhere that Chrysler requires their brand of oil filter to maintain the vehicle warranty. Is this fact or fiction? If it is true, what TSB explains their policy? If it is not true, what filter brands meet their specs? I am considering using a Mobil 1 filter.

Thanks
google "Magnuson-Moss" act. This federal law makes it illegal for the manufacturer or seller to require you to use any specific brand (of anything, not just oil filters) as a condition of your warranty unless they provide that product or service free of charge. This means of course that they cannot require you to have the car serviced at the dealership either.

They can require that you use a filter that meets O.E. specs, but that is not a high standard at all. Even a Fram meets O.E. specs but I'd never use one in anything I own (cut one open and see why). They are pure crap. I'd also avoid the filters stocked at the "quick lube" type places. They buy them in bulk for about a buck each and most times the guys there will install any filter than happens to screw on, whether or not it is correct. I use the NapaGold #1085; Wix #51085 is the same filter.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I use the NAPA Gold filter, but I'm sure there are better ones. I never go over 5,000 kms before changing the filter and oil, so I'm not overly worried about buying the best and most expensive filter.
Actually you are using probably the best, just not the most expensive. The NapaGold is a WIX filter which is top of the line. The only way you'll get a better filter is to pay 4 or 5 times as much for the Amsoil filter that came out a couple years ago to go with their 25,000 mile rated oil..... this filter is also made by WIX. But for the price (about 6 bucks) and changing oil as often as you do you cannot beat the NapaGold filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts