Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a 2007 300c. I am very interested in adding forced induction. Who has what? What do you prefer?
Thanks!

·
Banned
7 Posts
Well there are more superchargers out there on rides than Turbos. Each have their own pros and cons. There really is a lot of piping on turbos, but Arrington has a new twin turbo kit that is amazing. Check out shophemi.com for some options.

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,567 Posts
I've seen a LOT of Kenne Bell systems on these cars. Edelbrock just introduced their E-Force kit which was favorably reviewed. I think most folks like having a supercharger because it provides boost right off idle.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I know its not the same car..But i had a supercharger on my Mustang now its turbo..NO comparrsion not at all...the turbo is sick...compared to the supercharger....When i go power adder on the 300 it will be either a KB or nitrous...hope this helps...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had turbo cars and sc cars both were mustangs. With my turbo car I had little to no lag at all with a precision 6262 and Hellion kit. It is just a matter of preference if you ask me. The SC mustangs I had were a KB Cobra, and a 3.4 Whipple Cobra.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a sts twin turbo kit with methanol injection, It has been a journey, but it seems to be coming together. The guy that has done most of the work has a 2009 Challenger with a pro charger with methanol injection. My 300csrt is faster and causes Mike some grief as he wants to be faster LOL. He is really good about it as he has upgraded to smaller pulley, all in good fun we will see who is faster. I think I am at the disadvantage as he is the tuner LOL. We are both getting some Nitto NT555R's and are going to need drive train upgrades. I have a 1000 hp drive shaft, If the stock one goes it would be a mess. 1/2shafts to come, then forged engine, trans, then suspension... As you can see it is a drug LOL once you go down the FI road it never ends LOL. with my automatic the turbo really works well, always under pressure. My biggest issues is the filters, but I just clean them every oil change and move on. The other problem is there is a lot of plumbing to mess up as road conditions can be a problem. Mikes Chally is a 6 speed so the pro charger works better, and has a much nicer exhaust note as headers and cat backs are in order. Mine is stock exhaust and is really pretty quiet, I don't mind that, a real sleeper.. We have both gone on long trips and we both get 30mpg's ( as long as you are not going into boost every other mile LOL. Which by the way in either case is very addictive. Both set ups have pros and cons, I don't think you will regret either.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mr. Norm's 1000(whp) cars all come with Kenne Bell superchargers which if I ever go forced induction, the 2.8 or 3.6L KB will be my choice. KBs are very compact and require no hood cutting, plus you can get a 165mm throttle body air intake(Mammoth).

But the main issue with forced induction on Gen III Hemis is the internals are cast not forged. I believe FCA does not recommend forced induction of more than 100hp unless the motor is switched to forged internals like crank, cam, piston, connecting rods etc. and that is a major expense. I have been quoted not less that $7000 for that work.

My immediate mods will be a CAI, catch can, exhaust and a larger throttle body intake. The SC will have to wait.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've seen a LOT of Kenne Bell systems on these cars. Edelbrock just introduced their E-Force kit which was favorably reviewed. I think most folks like having a supercharger because it provides boost right off idle.
I called Kenne Bell and they said they didn't have a kit for the 300. I asked him why and he couldn't give me a straight answer. Have you ever seen a KB on a 300?

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
I called Kenne Bell and they said they didn't have a kit for the 300. I asked him why and he couldn't give me a straight answer. Have you ever seen a KB on a 300?
Call and ask for Matt, not sure who you got but, he is contributer on LXF and he knows. The 2.8 has been used on countless 300's from gen1 through to the 392. Not sure on the 3.2 though...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had three cars with factory turbos. Here (to me) is the biggest benefit to turbos: they are immune to the effects of altitude. When the air gets thinner, the turbo's rotor just spins faster and faster until the waste gate opens. Boost pressure is constant. I live out in the mountains of western Washington and when up on the passes and ridge roads, the turboed cars were just as quick as they were down on the ground. Not so with a belt-driven supercharger, it's positive displacement just like an engine's cylinder so it suffers from thin air.

I also drove a semi with a turboed Series 60 engine with 40 lbs of boost. I could go up any mountain pass with a full load in 8th gear. The guys with positive displacement superchargers were lucky if they could do it in 3rd.

If you live in the flatter parts of the country, the belt-driven unit is probably the way to go. If you live in the higher altitudes, definitely go with the turbo.

If you do choose the turbo, be sure it has a damned good oil supply and oil cooler. And never shut the engine off right away; let it idle for 15-30 seconds to let the rotor wind down a bit.

If Chrysler brings out a turboed 300, I'll buy one.

Happy Boosting

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have had turbo cars and sc cars both were mustangs. With my turbo car I had little to no lag at all with a precision 6262 and Hellion kit. It is just a matter of preference if you ask me. The SC mustangs I had were a KB Cobra, and a 3.4 Whipple Cobra.
There was a reader's car in one of the Mopar mags that had a twin turbo Hellion system installed on it. A silver Charger owned by a man named Zachariasz. On 10psi the dyno showed 580/630whp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts