Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a used 2006 SRT8 w/ 14k miles on it, and used to drive the 5.7L. One thing i've noticed between the two is the temperature seems to be a lot higher & just want to confirm this is indeed normal.

The pic below shows my car just after driving home from work (15-20 minutes), if i drive for longer periods it will sit at the next line up, a little too close for comfort with that redline....

just want to know if this is normal, replies appreciated :beerchug:

(just had coolant flushed/replaced but still not on QuantumBlue yet..)
(what else can be done to cool the engine?)

thanks,

Brad

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
It is just the way they calibrated the dial. You are running at the set temp with the factory thermostat.

Some of us run a lower temp T-stat as the engine bay on these cars allows the engine - especially the intake manifold to get "heat soaked". Hot air means less air volume through the motor and less power, especially at the drag track.

180 or 185 degrees F T-Stats are very popular with modders.

·
Registered
42 Posts
that temprature is normal, i own the exact same car, and thats right, i haven't changed my t-stat yet either, but i do have the CAI and Diablo

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
normal

sorry to say, that's a normal temp. Won't hurt anything except power output!

And I love that GSM oil cooler, it's really simple. But the price! OMG!

At least it's simpler than the crazy Mopar one that looks like Rube Goldberg designed it.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
As above, temp is normal. Probably a warm day as well huh.

A 180 thermostat will halve that temp. The oil cooler is also a good idea.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I have the 180 F (82.2 C) Motorad Tstat on both cars. At summertime and highway speeds both yield a running temperature of 185 F (85 C). In stop and go traffic the temperatures still will climb unless you have the DiabloSport Predator or some other fan modification that will trigger your fans at a lower than stock temperature offset.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies, I can sleep better now. I think I will try the 185 Tstat for starters.

I am getting Mopar CAI and Corsa exhaust installed in the near future, maybe after that I will invest in the GSM oil cooler.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the GSM cooler is a waste of time

only 2 days ago me and my buddy was comparing his temps to my temps he has a police oil cooler i have GSM oil cooler his temps are always 3 -5 deg lower than mine ALWAYS.

we parked and talked for 10 minutes then looked his is still colder......then we were driving around behind each other then called on cell phone to see where his temps are and its always lower than mine..

we have same car built same month and we bought them on the same day..

rite maherm ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Mine is on avg 186-190 F ish tho when sitting still too long or on a really hot day it can go up to 207 F.

I do have a 180 Thermostat as well with a B&G Stage II.

·
Registered
114 Posts
oh jeez, thank god. I was like dam i just bought this car and now the temp is high. lol. thanks to all who contributed to this post. i know i didn't start it but hell, i gained alot from it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
also whats QuantumBlue ?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
That temp is perfectly normal for a stock SRT8. The fans don't even come on till 215 degrees. The cooling system was extensively tested in Death Valley.

The SRT engineer who designed the system posted here a few years ago that it was bullet proof and I don't ever recall a cooling system failure being reported here, so you can be rest assured you're fine.

When I spoke to Ralph Gilles about this in 2006 I told him I too was concerned the needle was so high. He told me in retrospect they should have designed the needle to show in the middle. If you notice on the newer models that's exactly what they did.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Well, Bernie, an exception to the no cooling system failures might be the coolant "gunk" TSB that came about and is (IMO) at least partly due to the excessively high temperatures generated (and poor coolant chemistry early one) in the stock SRT8 engines. Some of those engines were pretty badly clogged with aluminum silicate.

QuantumBlue Gold coolants can be found via an internet search and are high purity, high quality, high whetting agent anti-freezes.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Well, Bernie, an exception to the no cooling system failures might be the coolant "gunk" TSB that came about and is (IMO) at least partly due to the excessively high temperatures generated (and poor coolant chemistry early one) in the stock SRT8 engines. Some of those engines were pretty badly clogged with aluminum silicate.

QuantumBlue Gold coolants can be found via an internet search and are high purity, high quality, high whetting agent anti-freezes.
Good point there Tim, but that was only for the 06's and I don't think you could really call it a cooling system failure in that I don't recall hearing of blown hoses, radiators or water pump problems. The system was intact, just the cottage cheese they put in it...haha.

I know the analogue temp guage in my Jeep reads right in the middle though.

Bernie

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When I spoke to Ralph Gilles about this in 2006 I told him I too was concerned the needle was so high. He told me in retrospect they should have designed the needle to show in the middle. If you notice on the newer models that's exactly what they did.

Bernie
Its funny that they changed that, because I remember reading an article way back when the SRT4 came out that said they gave the car a "real" temperature gauge, and it was a bit disconcerting to the reviewer to see the temperature go up and down so much like that, since we are so used to temp gauges being calibrated to sit in the middle.

i even remember a chat session with one of the SRT engineers said something like "we wanted to tell owners what was REALLY happening with their cars". I guess enough people had questions that they changed the calibration. It made me a bit nervous at first, but the lower T stat combined with the predator, and i rarely ever leave the second line.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you all for your information. it has helped me very much

·
Registered
827 Posts
Incidentally, I added a bottle of RedLine Water Wetter to my cooling system, and, per the termperature readout in the EVIC, it has made absolutely ZERO difference to my normal operating temperature. Snake oil, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
pardon

Despite high coolant temps I have heard of no problems as in no engine damage. The temps are perfectly in line with what any high quality synth oil can handle, despite the "calamity". I'll be the first to admit they are not optimal, but they cannot hurt the engine a bit at 220-230 coolant temp, just hurts HP.

Chrysler dodged (no pun intended, Charger guys) a bullet on this one. Over engineering paid off!

·
Registered
18 Posts
sorry to say, that's a normal temp. Won't hurt anything except power output!

And I love that GSM oil cooler, it's really simple. But the price! OMG!

At least it's simpler than the crazy Mopar one that looks like Rube Goldberg designed it.
I know this is an old thread, but... I can't find a Mopar engine oil cooler for my '06 300 SRT8 online anywhere. Do they still sell it? Any body know where to get it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts