Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking towards the back of my car yesterday when I noticed what looked like something stuck to my rear passenger side tyre. I got the shock of my life when I took a closer look and noticed a bald spot!

To give you a background:

- The tyres are the original Pirelli P7’s with less than 17,000kms on them
- The front tyres are perfect, the rear drivers has probably 70% tread left
- I have never done a burnout (ie. foot on brake and accelerator at same time)
- The only other person who drives my car is my conservative wife

Now I have been known to turn ESP off during the rain and get the occasional sideways action but this is few & far between and I’m not talking about fishtailing 100 metres up the road.

The bald spot is right in the centre of the tyre and you can see the inner wall of the tyre. It is concaved and the inside & outside of the tyres aren’t too bad. A you can imagine, I was shocked.

I called my local Chrysler dealer & spoke with the Service Manager. He said he has never had warranty problems with the Pirelli’s before & if it is a legitimate issue, it would be addressed by Pirelli & not through Chrysler (but arranged by Chrysler). He said it sounded like a problem with tyre pressure and asked if I checked it regularly. I told him I check it at the service station about once every 2 months and I check the pressure through the EVIC daily. He said to bring it in when I get my service done (May) and they’ll check it out.

I don’t want to blow a tyre with my kids or clients in the car so does anyone in Sydney want to sell me 1 tyre (or tyre with rim) so I can put it on and I’ll take the damaged one in upon my service? If I can’t find one, I’ll buy a set of four with 70% tread for $300 offered to me by a local tyre shop (2 Continental’s & 2 Goodyear’s 18/235/30).

Attached are some pics. Has anyone come across this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regarding overinflation, I never exceed the recommended PSI (on the sticker inside the door)? Also, the problem is only with one wheel :pat:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Looks like from a burnout to me :pat: and obviously only the one wheel means you have a open centre diff and that must smoke it up good :biggrin:

see what Steve has to say

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Something is definitely dodgey to have caused that particular tyre to wear that bad that quickly. I am disappointed that the dealer reckons you should wait until your next service. I would be driving it only from point A to point B - B is the place I would be replacing the tyre.

Things that spring to my mind are,
tyre manufacturing fault,
significant over inflation,
fault with your ESP/TC

BTW, that deal on the 4 wheels (?) & tyres is a steal.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Looks like from a burnout to me :pat: and obviously only the one wheel means you have a open centre diff and that must smoke it up good :biggrin:

see what Steve has to say
Apparently wog boy, you have have something different to other 300C's.

And yes it sure does appear to be over inflation. However it does seem very strange considering that you are so carefull with your tyre pressures MR 225. Hopefully just a tyre warrantly issue.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Apparently wog boy, you have have something different to other 300C's.

And yes it sure does appear to be over inflation. However it does seem very strange considering that you are so carefull with your tyre pressures MR 225. Hopefully just a tyre warrantly issue.
What's different Kelvin?

I was thinking over inflation at the start too, I used to have a similar problem a few years ago with Bridgestone Eagers but after he mentioned he was always carefull and daliy checked his TPMS screen I ruled that out, plus when I did a burnout on the Eagers they always seem to leave a few cuts in the tyre from the bitumen in the centre too, thats what I can see in this pic.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
The tyre appears to be worn evenly accross the tread, appart from the middle, this would suggest it was not an alignment issue, otherwise it would have worn the outside or the inside edge. If it were an issue with the tyre's manufacture ( defective tyre ) why would only one tyre be defective?
The damage done to this tyre appears to be consistant with doing burn outs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weird... my goodyear RSA is 30,000kms & still good.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"Mr225" Very unusual for the tyre to wear out so quickly, my last set last me over 50,000 km, the dealer rotated the tyres every 10,000 km. Anyway, I have spare stock wheel plus tyre which is still good for couple of thousand km. you can have the last one for A$55, or you can borrow it for free. Only problem is that you have to come to Canberra pick it up. I am going down to Melbourne to pick up a new set from "Michaelr" next Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"Mr225", just read through your thread again, the stock tyres are 225/60-18, not the same as your local tyre shop offers. BTW, my wife is going up to Sdyney tomorrow, somewhere in Carlinford (north west Sydney). If you are willing to go there tomorrow morning, you can borrow the wheel/tyre for free. PM me tonight if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I hate to say it, but are you sure nobody else has driven the car?
Possibly been to a dealer for some reason?

It really does look like abuse, as Wog Boy said. The cuts in the tire tend to rule out over-inflation; And even then you'd be looking at 60, 70psi + to cause the wear so quickly.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My guess is it's a fault with the individual tire. Deformed piles on the inside of the tire would cause an excessively convex shape, and if you kept your tyre pressures up, would definitely cause excessive wear in the center.

Ironically, if that is the case, being more lax with maintaining tyre pressure would probably have caused the center to wear out more evenly with the rest of the tread.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It certainly has me stumped and your line of thinking concurs with mine.

300C-CRD, mate I'm kicking myself I didn't log-on last night. I would have definitely bought that last tyre from you and taken your offer up of meeting your wife up here. If she hasn't left canberra yet, please let me know. I'll PM you know just in case.

I'm aware the original tyre is 225 and the other ones offered to me are 235's.

Hemi57 - the $300 deal is for tyre only which is still a good deal. I hate mixing & matching tyres though. I'm prepared to do it rather than pay $450 for a Pirelli!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"Mr225" just pm you and left a message on your mobile, wife left half hour ago. I did check the forum early this morning just in case but nevermind, if you still want one, I may make a trip to Sydney sometime late next week. You don't have to buy it, I am quite happy for you to keep one for spare, so if I (or any member) ever get a puncture in Sydney, we can call you???

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi mate,

Sorry I missed your call, I was in the shower. Not a problem. Thanks again for your generous offers.

I think I'll buy some second hand ones to get me through in the meantime but yes, please call me if you're in Sydney as I would prefer an original Pirelli and more than happy to pay you $$$ !

·
Registered
561 Posts
If I can’t find one, I’ll buy a set of four with 70% tread for $300 offered to me by a local tyre shop (2 Continental’s & 2 Goodyear’s 18/235/30).
MR 225

Please Beware! the tyre size 235/30/18 offered to you do not fit our 300C. The rolling diameter is way out of specification. The speedo will read 21% too fast.

Cheers!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts