Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that any 300C members here have anything to worry about. 300C came on the Australian market in 2006. Saw it on TV tonight saying tyres are really only good for 6 years as the rubber compounds deteriorated over the period and make them unsafe. The manufacturing date is embossed on the side wall of the tyre, usually 4 digits, mine is showing 1306 which means the tyre was made in the 13th week of 2006. So those of you thinking to keep your car in mint conditions and not driving it much...(hint..hint "Hemi57")..better sell your tyres cheap to other high mileage 300C drivers every few years.:biggrin: For those who are upgrading their tyres, just make sure the tyres aren't over 5 years old. Apparently there are people importing "old" tyres from other countries to sell them here.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
James, dare I say? My Harley (1975) still has the original front tyre :nono:

And my El Camino still has it's original spare (would you believe they had space savers back in 1975 for Chevys?).

Ah, they don't make tyres like they used too :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
6 years....damn I don't think I have owned a single car for that long, just as well then :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha..John, I doubt if anyone remembers the "Cross Ply" tyres. But just give those "old" tyres a good check for cracks/splits and bumps on the side wall before go "racing". In some sense it is true that the "old" tyres are much more hard wearing because the high contents of rubber instead of silicon compounds, but they don't handle as well nor last. They used to have steel mesh belt in the tyres instead of nylon now a day.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
...i dont think any of us here would get 6 years out of a tyre. There is some truth in the story last night on Tv but we really have nothing to worry about.

Rubber compounds do deteriorate, this is not made up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Locally they are saying that the tires should be changed when they are 4 years old as they tend to weaken with age. I noticed rubber starting to crack on a motorcycle tire when it was 10 years old and it was replaced. I myself have not had any issues with tires that were 6 years old.

·
Registered
436 Posts
haha are the tires we run on our motorhome are prolly 12 years old! haha

i usealy run a set out in 3-4 years though...

but grandmas last car was 8 years old on stock tires with like 80% tread haha she doesnt drive much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts