Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if this switch panel uses relays/resistors/and or diodes on it? and does it get glued/pressed/screwed in place?

I like the design but I would like to improve it for my car and see if i can sneak in 6 switches.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The switches I am planning on using are from CW industries (they make the mini rockers in the AVS boxes)

I can get these from Mouser electronics for under $2 each...page 1559 in their catalog Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor.

I also set them up in a 3x2 configuration which i can fit in an area that is 1 11/16" x 1 13/16" (not including mounting flange).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I mocked up this piece on some chip board, If you look at it closely the dashed rectangles in the center represent the cut needed for the switches to drop in. The rectangles outside of that represent the profile of the switch +/- .010. The outter 3 rectangles that encompass all of the switch positions are offset lines 1/16" at a time (just to see what I would have for a mounting flange.

As you can see I have PLENTY of room for them in there which leads me to my next discussion question. Should I make a removable piece that is molded in the same shape as the ashtray that can be removed and held in your lap or something or should I use the housing that is removable and put a machined abs piece on there to mount my switches.

BTW I am looking for these switches to control 4 corners up and down and also front up/down and back up/down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like a great idea if I were doing I would not use the removable peice I think you would be better off making your own it would definatly give you a little more room to work with that way

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I got around to pulling my ash tray out last night to pull some measurements off of it.

The cup is 2.545" +/- .010" wide, I just need to take a piece of aluminum and see what fits in length wise.

**UPDATE** Measured length is 3.312" but I wont know how well this works until metal is cut

this is a switch panel I did in my ram. I am thinking of making this one kinda similar.

What I am hoping to do is put holes in the corners like i did on the one for my ram. Then I will take some pieces of .250 ABS rod and drill and tap it. I will then put a dab of abs glue in the corners of the ashtray and put the panel with the posts attached. Once the glue sets I should be able to remove the panel and the posts should remain and I can further epoxy them in place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sweetness, cant wait to see how it works out

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like its gonna be super easy to do. Ill keep you guys posted and if there is any interest for a 6 up setup I can get some other pieces laser cut.

Or.. I could get a piece of 6061 aluminum cnc machined and have the flange on the switches sit flush.

Its too bad that we only have 2 cup holders, I would love to put my switches and gauge in there.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I put this in my build topic but ill throw it here as well....

6 switches for the bitches...

I will also be polishing this tomorrow to a pretty mirror like finish...<borat> verrrry niiiiice </Borat>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts