Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's true. Hook up your iPod to your uConnect 8.4N and any album artwork that is OLDER than the year 2011 will not display your album artwork.

I have sent many emails, asked questions in regards to this issue only to get replies such as this:

Dear Darren:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center in
regards to your 2013 Chrysler 300C.

We appreciate the time and effort you took to tell us of your
dissatisfaction in the Gracenotes technology. Comments like yours are
one way to learn of problems that develop and the improvements desired.
We have documented your comments and will provide them to our product
development team for review.

We do apologize that we could not provide you with a more favorable
answer however please view the following website for any possible
updates available:

http://mofv.com/mygig/

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

NAME REMOVED

Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
I can only ask that if you have the 8.4N and your gracenote does not display album art (on new songs/albums past the year 2011)
Please express your concerns on the uConnect website under customer support.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is gracenote?

I just bought a 300S and I'm having an issue also with cover art. At first I used a usb flash drive, and it took a few hours to load all the covers but eventually it appeared to display them all. Couple days later I put that same music on an SD card to free up the USB for my phone and after a week it still only displays about half the covers? I pulled the card and put it back in and that didn't help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I just noticed that some of the cover art is not what is in my mp3 files. So smelling a rat I looked up that gracenote and just as I feared: the system does not display MY cover art, but whatever gracenote delivers is the correct art. WTF. How do you F$%K up something as simple as displaying the damn cover art in the mp3?!?! I also noticed the wrong album title applied which made this tidbit from gracenote's website funny in a "haha we f$%cked you" sort of way:

"Music Information Cleanup

Many music collections often have wrong or inconsistent spellings for artist and track names, making it hard to find and access songs while driving. Gracenote-powered systems cleanup and organize how a driver’s music collection is displayed on the entertainment system’s screen for easier navigation."

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,574 Posts
Chrysler did not build the gracenote system, they just implemented it in the cars they build. So I would not expect an answer to your problem as they simply don't know how the system works and how to fix software problems in it. Find Gracenotes and talk with them about the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chrysler did not build the gracenote system, they just implemented it in the cars they build. So I would not expect an answer to your problem as they simply don't know how the system works and how to fix software problems in it. Find Gracenotes and talk with them about the issue.
I have been to both sides - each points to the other and neither Chrysler nor Gracenote is stepping up to the plate. :AR15firin

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wouldn't expect anything out of either. For Chrysler, this is just a checkbox on list of features. For Gracenote, well, they already have licensing fee from Chrysler.

BTW, how's Gracenote database suppose to be updated? New songs/artists are coming out daily. Plus, there's whole world of music outside of major markets for Chrysler cars. How are they supposed to be covered? Decision not to load song info, including cover, from MP3 tags really baffles me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't expect anything out of either. For Chrysler, this is just a checkbox on list of features. For Gracenote, well, they already have licensing fee from Chrysler.
BTW, how's Gracenote database suppose to be updated? New songs/artists are coming out daily. Plus, there's whole world of music outside of major markets for Chrysler cars. How are they supposed to be covered? Decision not to load song info, including cover, from MP3 tags really baffles me.
I don't know but my wife's car 2012 Ford Edge - the Ford MyTouch displays album artwork on every single song - new and old.
Heck, it even displays artwork from Slacker Radio when her phone is connected!!

Come on Chrysler -- are you listening?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also wanted to point out that it's definitely a database issue so the problem lies with the collaboration between Chrysler UConnect 8.4N and Gracenote. All of my albums dated 2011 or BEFORE seem to show up. Take something current dating to LATE 2011, 2012, or 2013 and you will see NOTHING.

Also note, these are songs paid for and downloaded from iTunes in my iPod, not tracks pulled from file sharing sites. I have put my same iPod into these vehicles and ALL album artwork shows up:

1) Ford Edge (2012) - MyTouch
2) Cadillac ATS (2013) - Cue

So, neither side will fess up to who's wrong - UConnect / Gracenote. But apparently users don't care enough to make noise to have this issue fixed.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I just embedded the artwork into my entire music system. Still Gracenote only display some artwork.

I don't think it's too much for them to look at the music tag of the file, if no artwork is present then query the database.

But even so, the problem I'm having is with a lot of the movie soundtrack and various artist type albums I have. Does Gracenote not know about these types of albums?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Going to bump this.

I'm doubting the problem is actually Gracenote itself. There are tons of other systems and devices using Gracenote, including Itunes. I found out also, that the system in the Buick doesn't overwrite your track info. It's called MyLink or something like that and it uses Gracenote as well.

The decision to ignore metadata rests solely with the system employing Gracenote. Obviously we could try fixing Gracenote, but that only covers up the real issue. Either Chrysler (through their requirements request) or Uconnect has
dropped the ball with this.

They really should pay attention to this and get it fixed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Only about 25% of the album artwork shows up on mine. The same ipod works flawlessly in my wife's bmw and our corvettes. :twak:

I even have some artists names completely wrong. For example one artist called Big Sean comes up as Big Star on some of the albums

·
Registered
126 Posts
What should be displayed when connecting via Bluetooth w/ my iPhone 5 to play music? All my screen says is the name of my iPhone, no music info at all.

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler displayed music info when playing music via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I think it only shows the phone that is streaming. At least that's what I get as well.
I see my razr hd showing up.

I'd have to look into the bluetooth protocol specs to see if we should be seeing the info.

but there is a problem.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I probably should add that it depends on the music app you use whether the metadata is transmitted via bluetooth. You having and iphone, this should be working already. What iOS release is your iphone? I hope this isn't another ding against Uconnect.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, my screen just says "Cade's iPhone 5" when I'm connected to my phone via Bluetooth. I've only tried playing music using the native "Music" app, nothing like Slacker or anything. Like I said, my 2013 Wrangler with UConnect showed the music info.

Current iOS is 6.1.4.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
well for sure as of iOS5 that information is provided via bluetooth, so I'll chalk this up as another strike against Uconnect.

I noticed tonight that the info button is grayed out when I stream audio from my phone.
The browse button becomes labelled as bluetooth, so all I can do is advance, play, and
pause my phone. I can't select music from it. Have to do it from the phone.

I tried Slacker on my phone and still no info.

Haven't heard back from Chrysler yet. But I'm certain to receive a canned response that this is all as designed.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
My Wife has a Galaxy S3, which works correctly with everything. It's embarrasing when an older accord shows track info from a bluetooth phone and your 2013 can't.

I also checked with Motorola and found my new Razr HD is capable of providing the info as well.

Both phones are running Android Jellybean release.

Interesting that my phone came with Jellybean installed, and yet the Uconnect compatibility site only lists Ice Cream Sandwich in the "select your software".

Doesn't seem to matter as most of the phones I selected have "X" next to metadata in the bluetooth section. They make it appear as if the phone can't do it.

Still haven't heard back from them on my case regarding the Track Info on USB devices. Doubtful I ever will.

I'll wait until I go back for my free oil change and talk to the service folks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts