Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

361 - 380 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Other workarounds i thought of was:
1. Put each genre on it's own memory stick.
2. Erase the genre tag and create a folder with the genre name.
3. Mp3 discs (not sure if this plays these)
4. Invest in a whole new 3rd party info system that works.

Any suggestions you all have would be helpful seeing im stuck with this lemon for 4 years :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Scratch #2
I've created folders before, doesn't work. When you select "shuffle", it plays the entire catalog of music, instead of the actual folder.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Well, i finally got back from the dealer today. Just like i thought, no solution. Nobody seemed to know. Software problem was the only answer i got. Even the free oil change that dodge gave me over the phone for not being able to help me, wasn't in their system. Jeez..
So, in conclusion...
The voice module for Uconnect is terrible. It simply will not play ALL of your songs in a genre if you ask through voice recognition. This is pretty sad. My only workaround is to play an ipod through the aux connection in order for this system to play my music properly. Or..just get back in my ford fusion and be thankful i purchased a more reliable high tech vehicle...from 10 years ago.
This is unacceptable service and support. I tried duplicating your problem and I'm not having anything related to this happen. This should't be a problem on your system.

Do you know the software version of your radio? Maybe write down your VIN and go here:

https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

There may be an update to your system.

Also, you may try reseting the system.

You have to have blind faith that the system indeed resets:

1. with acc on, radio on, hold both the VR and Phone button for 30 seconds, then release them
2. turn the system off, turn the car off
3. open the door for 30 seconds
4. close the door and turn things back on

This should have reset the radio. Unfortunately you won't see any evidence that this happened.

Last resort test. Get a new USB. Put only one genre on it. Do not use any folders. Place the files in the root folder of the USB instead. Use MP3tag or some other tag editor to make sure all information is correct in each track.
Put the new USB key in and test the voice commands.

If it doesn't work, contact Uconnect support via the contact info at DriveUconnect.com and open a support ticket with them.

I will save some time and rule out your voice control module, because it is taking the command and starting to play the genre. The voice control does not influence the tracks that are found on the system, so the cataloging in Uconnect seems to be what the problem is.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: TheKrell

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
932 Posts
Well, i finally got back from the dealer today. Just like i thought, no solution. Nobody seemed to know. Software problem was the only answer i got. Even the free oil change that dodge gave me over the phone for not being able to help me, wasn't in their system. Jeez..
So, in conclusion...
The voice module for Uconnect is terrible. It simply will not play ALL of your songs in a genre if you ask through voice recognition. This is pretty sad. My only workaround is to play an ipod through the aux connection in order for this system to play my music properly. Or..just get back in my ford fusion and be thankful i purchased a more reliable high tech vehicle...from 10 years ago.
Hi Yngwie,
Could you PM me your VIN and dealership information so I can look into this further?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Scratch #2
I've created folders before, doesn't work. When you select "shuffle", it plays the entire catalog of music, instead of the actual folder.
The system really uses the tags to set up the library, so creating folders won't really help.

It really seems as if the system has built a library and the genre is corrupted and the idea is to get the system to rebuilt the library.

It really should be rebuilt by using multiple usb drives with different music on them.

It would be nice if there was an option to force the system to rebuilt the library.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
You covered it well.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Wanted to add an update to the messaging limit. I have "OK Google" disabled and I am getting new text messages announced in the car as it used to. However, the 34 message limit is real on Uconnect. It doesn't prevent the SMS function, but what it means is if you have more than 34 messages currently on your phone, Uconnect will only display the most recent 34. So imagine you've received 100 messages over the span of several days, so when you get in the car and the phone connects to Uconnect, the screen will only display messages 66-100. It will continue to behave in this manner so that the next SMS received will remove the oldest message from the screen on Uconnect.

I suspect but can't prove the last Uconnect update introduced this hard limit of 34 SMS messages on Uconnect.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #369 (Edited)
1st post updated. Thank you Cool_V.

Edited to add: My radio suffered an interesting cold-weather failure mode this morning. I use a 16GB SDHC card to store all my favorite tracks. When I selected my Player softkey, it said,

Cannot read from SD card.
Please remove from the system.
So I did that, and reinserted several times with the same result. The slot/reader itself can clearly detect when I insert the card, and when I remove it again, but after displaying the first track title, it puts up that same message (above). But here's the crazy part. The radio can read that SD card just fine! My music started playing starting from the usual 1st song. The buttons on the back of the steering wheel all work. (The VR system can't understand any of my voice commands.) The soft keys on the display are all greyed-out, except for Source and Audio. It took me an hour to get to work, at which time everything in the car was presumably at normal operating temperature, yet I still get the "Cannot Read from SD card" message.

I am scanning the SD card with my computer at the moment, and so far all songs appear to be there. This is looking like a hard failure of my radio. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It does sound like a hard failure. I'm really struggling right now with playlists due to the file structure Artist/Album/Tracks I have with my music. The OS in the car is treating certain characters differently (LINUX, UNIX, QNX, etc), such that if there is [,],(,),*,#, or anything that the system may think has another meeting, that track will not play or show up as part of the playlist.

It's getting ridiculous. I have a playlist with 239 tracks and so far I've gotten about 213 of them to show up by hand editing the playlist. But some of them I'm having real problems spotting the path issue that's affecting the playlist.

Regarding your SD card issue, it sounds as if there is some type of hard failure going on with the radio. I'd be curious to know if they replace it, where does that place you with regard to software version.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
One other item to be aware of, if you have windows 10, that may be responsible for issues with your SD card. Some have lost the use of media files on SD cards and external drives related to a bug in Win 10.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Well, I spoke too soon. My PC found some issues with the SDHC card and changed about 2/3 of my artist folders into a non-open-able format. I think the FAT32 file system has somehow gotten corrupted. :crying: I made a complete backup of this card last night, so I don't think I've lost anything...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
watch out if it's windows 10. very bad bug could cause the files to be unusable.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #374 (Edited)
watch out if it's windows 10. very bad bug could cause the files to be unusable.
Windows Vista at work, W2K :D here at home. I was able to reformat the card and I am now restoring my 11GB of tracks from backup. OK; done. Seems to work in my car now. What happened to the file system, I do not know.

These SD cards don't seem very robust. I had a 64GB SDXC card fail and get replaced, a Sony 32GB that failed and Sony won't replace it w/o a receipt. this 16GB that had the file system corrupted, and numerous old 1GB SD cards that are completely dead.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The SD card I use in my car finally died and I found a hairline crack around it as if you could lift the front panel off of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many file types does it really need to support when 95% of users are just going to plug in an MP3 player and be on their way?

From what I am gathering about reading your post is that you are probably trying to do everything through a stone age system of CD's. If you spent 50$ on a decent MP3 player I'm willing to bet half your problems would disappear. Plus you would save yourself the hassle of burning CD's, do not have to burn a new one every single time you find a new song you want to add to your library, and you don't have all the waste of consistently turning old CD's into garbage when you burn a new updated one, also you don't have the hassle of changing CD's in the car or even carrying them around for that matter.

An Ipod was easily one of my top 5 best investments. Heck, most people have smart phones nowadays. You wouldn't even need to buy anything new, just download all your music to your phone and just plug that in like an MP3 player.

These things might seem like a big fail to you, but you have to look at it from the engineers side. Why would they spend copius amounts of time and R&D money to perfect a system that nobody really uses anymore? It's the same reason you can't get a manual transmission in an SUV or a truck anymore. Because there just isn't enough market for it to recoup the money that would be spent in integrating it.
I think this is a really good response. I feel the same. I'm very happy with U-Connect, coming from a 2012 BMW with "I Drive"...gawd, now there's a crummy system by comparison.

·
932 Posts
Glad to hear you have that extended warranty. Keep us posted on what the dealership says and how the repair goes. Let me know if there is anything I can do to be of assistance through this process!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #378 (Edited)
Glad to hear you have that extended warranty. Keep us posted on what the dealership says and how the repair goes. Let me know if there is anything I can do to be of assistance through this process!
If this was in response to my post about my SD card, thanks! It turns out that my radio is working as it always has, even in our cold temperatures. It was my SD card whose file system was mysteriously corrupted. I reformatted and reloaded it, and now I'm happy again on my daily commute. :D My radio was doing about as well as it could with 4/5ths of my tunes inaccessible.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Must be contagious. I went through several USB drives last night with all of them getting read error on Uconnect. I have a windows 10 machine so I'm always suspicious. I used the built-in utility to scan one of the drives and it found corruption and recovered several files. After this the drive worked in the car about as well as it did before (except the playlist problem which would require a patch from Uconnect).

I'm going to have to get an alternative machine running something other than windows 10 as even the act of adding music to the USB has the potential for corruption that won't show up on the computer, but will show up in the car.

·
932 Posts
If this was in response to my post about my SD card, thanks! It turns out that my radio is working as it always has, even in our cold temperatures. It was my SD card whose file system was mysteriously corrupted. I reformatted and reloaded it, and now I'm happy again on my daily commute. :D My radio was doing about as well as it could with 4/5ths of my tunes inaccessible.
Glad to hear it :) Thanks for closing the loop!

361 - 380 of 418 Posts