Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

381 - 400 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just for fun I contacted Chrysler today to ask if there were any plans for update Gracenote or, alternatively, free us from Gracenote - I have a 2012. Not that I expected any different, but here's the response:

"I regret that at this time we will not be providing an update to the
Gracenotes database as there are not enough people requiring Gracenotes.
I spoke with a UConnect Customer Assistant Agent who stated that we will
not be adding a patch that allows a customer to display their own MP3
tags or album art.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us. We're sorry we
can't provide a more favorable reply"

::frown::

Strangely, this afternoon my bluetooth stopped working!?! However, an unpair of the phone, reboot of the UConnect, and re-pair solved it...for now.

Reactions: TheKrell

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #382 (Edited)
I regret that at this time we will not be providing an update to the
Gracenotes database as there are not enough people requiring Gracenotes.
Plausible.
I spoke with a UConnect Customer Assistant Agent who stated that we will not be adding a patch that allows a customer to display their own MP3 tags or album art.
That may be truthful, but it still sucks. :crying: George predicted all this years ago.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Yeah, I did predict it. At least per the response to blackngold, they seem to be better at communicating that we will be living with this problem as long as we have the car. No updates for the really poor implementation of Gracenotes, and no "bug" fix to let the system read the album art from the mp3 file, even though the system is currently reading all of the other information from the mp3 file. So second gen II years 2011-2014 are Uconnect "orphans".

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I think the website is fairly safe, but I don't exactly know if you become part of a database where they start hounding you for various campaigns or not.

I'm wondering why our epic fail thread isn't part of the source for the problem. Maybe we're too harsh?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
I'm wondering why our epic fail thread isn't part of the source for the problem. Maybe we're too harsh?
We were very gracious when speaking to executive resolutions on the phone, and that got us nowhere. We were also pretty nice when we banded together with 20 other owners and submitted a joint letter to Marchionne. That likewise got us nowhere. We also tweeted and there's a Facebook page about this, all to no avail.

IIRC I came up with the EPIC FAIL thread after those other initiatives, to see if we could shame Chrysler into fixing some bugs. If anybody in FCA is paying any attention at all, I'd be surprised. ::frown::

·
Registered
3 Posts
Customtronix has released a new mirroring device called Jailbreaker Connect.
New features and updates are always distributed to customers on demand.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Hi Customtronix. If you're going to advertise the Jailbreaker Connect on this site we need to continue the conversion we were having on your YouTube channel about aspect ratios of the front cam. Lets start... When you directed me to email Magnus about it why does he not respond?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #393 (Edited)
It is a completely different system!
How is that? The Uconnect Touch 8.4/N on the 2011-2014 300's are very much alike. The Uconnect Touch 8.4A, on the other hand, was introduced in 2015 on the 300 and is dramatically different, coming as it does from a different manufacturer. The 8.4A radios are fitted to 2015-2017 300s which your Jailbreaker also supports. Perhaps your web page is wrong in saying it supports 2013/14 model year Uconnect radios. Then your statement about "completely different systems" would make sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is that? The Uconnect Touch 8.4/N on the 2011-2014 300's are very much alike. The Uconnect Touch 8.4A, on the other hand, was introduced in 2015 on the 300 and is dramatically different, coming as it does from a different manufacturer. The 8.4A radios are fitted to 2015-2017 300s which your Jailbreaker also supports. Perhaps your web page is wrong in saying it supports 2013/14 model year Uconnect radios. Then your statement about "completely different systems" would make sense.
At the end of the product page for the jailbreak is a list of systems that the product is compatible with. This system (8.4A / 8.4AN / RA3 / RA4) that was introduced in the 300c starting from 2015, is available in RAMs from 2013 which is why the web page says 2013 and up. (This is a 300c forum so I can understand that this causes confusion here.) This system is produced by Harman Becker.

For Chrysler 300c, our system is compatible with year model 2015 and up, if the vehicle is equipped with the 8.4" monitor.

For reference, the previous system which has been phased out is called 8.4N, (or RB5 / RE6) and is produced by Panasonic. The systems have somewhat similar menus, but under the hood they have nothing in common and as a result we are unable to do anything fun with it.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
customtronix, whether you realized it yet or not, you just said the same thing that Krell said. The only issue is you are posting about your product in a thread regarding the shortcomings of the 2011-2014 Uconnect system. At no point in this entire thread did this discussion ever take place regarding the 8.4A/AN system that your product is compatible with. Given this is a 300C forum, your product would not be a resolution (as you have correctly stated).

As you have a mirroring product compatible with 8.4A/AN, etc, systems, maybe starting a new thread would be the correct approach??????

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
You've seen how he responds to customer issues by his response to me. I've no doubt he wants me to go away. Before you advertise a product for sale on this site don't you have to be a Supporting Vendor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So people know, there are three different versions of the RB5 / 8.4N

The original was introduced in 2011. In 2012 a second version was released and in mid 2013 the last one which introduced traffic support via satellite and which also is the one that suffers the 'can't unlock maps' problem came out.

It has been phased out of the 300, but is still standard issue in the 2017 Journey.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So people know, there are three different versions of the RB5 / 8.4N

The original was introduced in 2011. In 2012 a second version was released and in mid 2013 the last one which introduced traffic support via satellite and which also is the one that suffers the 'can't unlock maps' problem came out.

It has been phased out of the 300, but is still standard issue in the 2017 Journey.
I have traffic via satellite in my 2012.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have traffic via satellite in my 2012.

I think on my 2012 model it picks up the traffic from the RDS on the radio, but I might be wrong?

I tried to buy the siliver jailbreak, but was told my unit was not suitable, so I went for the LockPick which works fine, but I would have prefered the software version, that is up-dateable.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
So, us 2011 owners are completely SOL from any support from anybody. Heck, even the Tazer I had did not really add many features for me since i had a 2011. That was the reason I sold it to recoup some money I needed for other things at the time. On that note, at least the feature of being able to keep the DRL on during a turn signal remained, even after unplugging the Tazer. :) Since we mainly travel in my wife's 2014 RAM Laramie anyway, I guess my antiquated 2011 8.4N is a mute issue.

381 - 400 of 418 Posts