Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

401 - 418 of 418 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Here is my latest Gracenotes insult. When the music cleanup function is enabled, it changes the artist, David Wahler, to the artist, Ginger! How can the Gracenotes music cleanup function be this perverse? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Here is my latest Gracenotes insult. When the music cleanup function is enabled, it changes the artist, David Wahler, to the artist, Ginger! How can the Gracenotes music cleanup function be this perverse? :eek:
I can now top that one with the Cast in Bronze album, Best Day Ever. (Yes, I have eclectic taste in music.) This is what the album art is supposed to look like:

And this is what my car made of this album art:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I guess it thought you needed some humor in your life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #404 (Edited)
Despite Chrysler/Panasonic malfeasance on the 2011-2014 radios including my 2012, I bought another 300 and a number of these EPIC FAILS have been addressed.
  1. My radio updated itself over the air a couple of days ago. Good!
  2. The Gracenotes on-board database is gone, and so are the many problems that obscenity caused. I have yet to see any of my nearly 3K tracks without the album art displayed on the higher resolution 8.4 display. And the radio isn't changing the track info into something with no relation to the actual track. My "favorite" screwup was my tracks from Cast In Bronze's Best Day Ever album. My 2012 displayed the album art from an episode from Spongebob instead! See post above Desert Flyer's post above this one.
  3. The shuffle algorithm has been fixed, and I am now landing on tracks I haven't even heard before! My 2012 would get stuck in the same 5-10 folders which are all arranged by artist.
  4. My 2020 now has Message Access Protocol working correctly with my phone. This broke in my 2012 as of Kit Kat and Chrysler never fixed it. :mad:
  5. The stupid nag screen does not reappear when starting the car after a brief pause. I haven't figured out how long the pause has to be before it reappears and tells me not to run into anything.
On the down side, my new 2020 Uconnect 4C has a new EPIC FAIL. When you turn off the radio, the screen goes black and you can't do anything with it unless you turn it back on again. Pausing media or turning the volume all the way off is no solution in my book to this jaw-dropping dumb assedness. Whoever thouight that was a good idea should have his head examined.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Congrats on your new 2020. The newer radio electronics are better and better, especially with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. But, I pine for the old days when car controls were buttons and knobs and the stereo was separate (so you could update it to your heart’s content without [email protected]#$&*%g up the controls). Yea, they don’t look as integrated and sexy, but they worked and were more intuitive and functional than these infuriating touch sensitive controls these days. In that regard Chrysler’s UConnect is still the best. My wife’s Cadillac is awful. Good luck trying to change volume with a touch sensitive horizontal slider...what have they been smoking?!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Yea, they don’t look as integrated and sexy, but they worked and were more intuitive and functional than these infuriating touch sensitive controls these days.
There's one thing even worse than having infuriating hard-to-adjust touch-sensitive controls... And that is my new EPIC FAIL (above) when the screen goes off completely and you have no control whatsoever! I have found no mechanical control to fix that sorry situation other than the power button in the center of the volume control knob. :mad:

·
Registered
623 Posts
So, I have to ask...why do you want the screen off? Too bright?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
So, I have to ask...why do you want the screen off? Too bright?
I do not want the screen off! That is the whole problem. I just want the sound to stop. I do not want to turn the volume all the way down, nor do I want to pause media playback.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ok, I misunderstood. Then hit the Mute button...it is right next to the volume/on/off knob!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Then hit the Mute button...it is right next to the volume/on/off knob!
Well I'll be darned. That might work if it also pauses the media playback. When I pause the media playback, turn the car off and then on again, it unpauses. Will test...

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Well I'll be darned. That might work if it also pauses the media playback. When I pause the media playback, turn the car off and then on again, it unpauses. Will test...
Yup; the mute button for media works just like the pause button. :( It works similarly if tuned to a radio station. Upon starting the car, It unpauses/unmutes and out comes the sound. This is precisely what I seek to avoid.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well...just hit that li’l button again!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
Well...just hit that li’l button again!
LOL. Indeed, my choice of title for this thread was an attempt to draw Chrysler's attention. It didn't work. Back then, many of us tried anything we could think of to fix these dumb-ass bugs. We called Chrysler. (They sympathized but otherwise could not affect any change.) I started tweeting about it. Another member started a FB page. We wrote to Panasonic. At least 20 of us joined together and wrote to Marchionne. Nothing worked, and none of the bugs on our 2011-2014 radios were fixed. They did release a few updates and presumably fixed some bugs we weren't even aware of.

In 2015, Chrysler switched from Panasonic to Harmon, and many of these bugs were fixed. Now, from the looks of the license page on my 2020 radio, they're back to Panasonic. On the one hand, bugs were fixed. On the other hand, new "features" appear, such as turning off the touch screen for no apparent reason. I maintain this is a stupid "feature" and should be fixed. My 2012 never did this! In fact, I've never driven a car with a touchscreen, by any manufacturer, that did this before my 2020.

Any particular "fail" could be big or small depending upon who cares about the particular "feature". I cared about the missing album art and Gracenotes cleanup. That is fixed in my 2020. Others cared about the missing txt messaging protocol which made that button greyed out on my 2012. I didn't care so much about the missing text messaging. That too is fixed as of 2020 and probably much earlier. Chrysler did a lot of things right on my 2020 and I love the car and finally have the color (Crystal Granite) that I always wanted when I bought my 2012. So, seemingly little things like turning off the display annoy me because that is such a dumb thing to do when the touchscreen does so much (when it's on). It would be easy to fix. :mad:

Does anybody know if the radios in 2015 (and later) turn off the display when you turn off the radio?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yea, I’ve been following your thread since the beginning when I first got my ‘13, which had its share of electronic head-bangers. Like Gracenotes, loss of text support, etc infinatum. However, I still remember that Garmin based nav fondly. Better than my 2017 nav for sure. But nothing beats Waze and Apple CarPlay. My next car will have wireless CarPlay along with wireless charging.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
I still remember that Garmin based nav fondly. Better than my 2017 nav for sure. But nothing beats Waze and Apple CarPlay. My next car will have wireless CarPlay along with wireless charging.
Yup; that's another 2 things my 2020 has: Apple Car Play and Android Auto. I tried the AA app briefly and couldn't get it to work, so I deinstalled it. I just bought my daughter a 2021 RAV/4 and she had it working immediately courtesy of a USB cable. Apparently you can turn on WiFi within the AA app and get it to work wirelessly. That thought never occurred to me because I erroneously thought it would work over Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #416 (Edited)
I have another good thing to post about my 2020 radio: the SiriusXM part includes album art. My 2012 only showed a channel logo.

And I have another bad thing to post about my 2020, though this could just be pilot error. This is difficult to explain, but on my 2012, I enjoyed going into and out of Shuffle mode at any time. What this allowed me to do, beginning in shuffle mode, was to land on an artist I wanted to hear more of. I would take it out of Shuffle mode and let it finish the artist's folder. This presupposes you are in Folder browse mode, which is the default. In my 2020, I cannot do this because, when browsing to a folder, I'm stuck in that one folder. Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
On the touchscreen going off: My son-in-law has a '17 Renegade, and it does the same thing. Does anybody know when Chrysler implemented this annoying "feature"? Does any other manufacturer make their touchscreen useless when the radio is off?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
This is difficult to explain, but on my 2012, I enjoyed going into and out of Shuffle mode at any time. What this allowed me to do, beginning in shuffle mode, was to land on an artist I wanted to hear more of. I would take it out of Shuffle mode and let it finish the artist's folder. This presupposes you are in Folder browse mode, which is the default. In my 2020, I cannot do this because, when browsing to a folder, I'm stuck in that one folder. Does that make sense?
With more experience comes more understanding. Since my 2020 doesn't have an SDHC card, I bought two Sandisk Cruizer Fits to hold my music. One is devoted to Christmas music, and the other to everything else. The issue described above happens on the 32GB one and can now be described very simply as being stuck in shuffle mode. I can go into or out of Shuffle mode as indicated by the blue or white Shuffle button, yet it remains in shuffle mode. The smaller Christmas Cruizer Fit works just like my 2012 does and remains able to play music in the folder I had landed in.

Does nybody else have this problem?

401 - 418 of 418 Posts