Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many are over - LHD / RHD etc.

Just bought one - got the same engine in a grand cherokee and wanted it in a saloon. Still got my '09 touring as well.

Anyone else?

Richard

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's been a couple of right hand drive Core models for sale in the UK recently. Anyone here bought one of those ?
Saw these for sale in Miami initially when they were cheap. Cancelled australian order not for sale in the US. Think I've seen 3 of the 7 there were initially for sale in the UK.

Bargain of a car even at £30k - I'd worked it out to about £27.5k if I did it myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently trying to locate and ship something US to UK but it's proving to be hard work at the moment.

If I don't get something underway soon I'm tempted to take a look at this 300C.

OK so you get the cheap cloth interior plus no sunroof etc, but it's a cheap way to get the 6.4 Hemi powertrain.
You also get the 4 piston brembos not the 6, and lose the active suspension, plus the adaptive cruise control distancing, adaptive headlights, blind spot monitoring, parking sensors ( but I think the camera's still there ) that sort of stuff. Does what it says on the tin, you get the core bits needed lol....

EDIT - the spec in the ad says it has adaptive headlamps. Ask for the vin and decode it see if it's true.

On the plus side I was able to swop in an MPH speedo easily enough on mine, and Aussie DAB is the same as UK standard so that will work unlike Sirius on US spec cars.

Get em to £27k and that's what I reckon buying it directly would have ended up costing....cheap for what it is but not cheap enough according to the UK forum users who are comparing it to a gen 1 and even complain about the cost of those. However much it's priced at it's too expensive it seems. It's a dodge charger FFS!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like you still get the active exhaust so that's cool :cool:

Chrysler 300 SRT®: Luxury Performance Car

The brochure here shows the brakes being the same on the Core and the regular SRT - Brembo Fixed Four-Piston Caliper front and rear, with the same size rotors too.

MY19_LX_BG_v4.pdf (chrysler.com.au)

Edit to add ....

The calipers are red on the regular SRT and not on the Core. That looks to be the only difference.

Cannot see adaptive headlights listed anywhere at all for any model - either standard or as an option - were they ever available ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you still get the active exhaust so that's cool :cool:

Chrysler 300 SRT®: Luxury Performance Car

The brochure here shows the brakes being the same on the Core and the regular SRT - Brembo Fixed Four-Piston Caliper front and rear, with the same size rotors too.

MY19_LX_BG_v4.pdf (chrysler.com.au)

Edit to add ....

The calipers are red on the regular SRT and not on the Core. That looks to be the only difference.

Cannot see adaptive headlights listed anywhere at all for any model - either standard or as an option - were they ever available ?
The US model LHD LX platform cars got the 6 piston brembos same as the WK2 SRT jeeps in 2014 I think? And adaptive Xenon headlamps were from launch on the HID's.

Never seen a 300 with the 6 pistons but on all the other models that's one of the 'core' differences once the 6 piston became available. Thne carriers are part of the caliper so I'll test fit a Jeep one first after sourcing some discs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brochure linked with specs is Australian - best guess could be that right hand drive cars never got the 6 piston brakes at all ? And maybe no adaptive headlights option for right hand drive either ?

The other thing I've noticed - the exterior badging is inconsistent ? Both the silver car pictured here, and the blue one that David Johnson Manchester had recently, have no fender badges at all and no Core badging on the trunk ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brochure linked with specs is Australian - best guess could be that right hand drive cars never got the 6 piston brakes at all ? And maybe no adaptive headlights option for right hand drive either ?

The other thing I've noticed - the exterior badging is inconsistent ? Both the silver car pictured here, and the blue one that David Johnson Manchester had recently, have no fender badges at all and no Core badging on the trunk ?
The only 300's produced as SRT's after 2016 are RHD I believe - maybe it's a type approval thing? Dunno.

My 2013 RHD has adaptive headlights. I'd ask for the vin of the 70 plate one and decode it see what it really has compared to the advert....

Lack of badging will be down to their cancelled order status and why they were cheap sat on the dock in miami for 6 months - they were intended as Aussie Police pursuit cars hence low spec and debadged.

The VIN decode will confirm as the police options will be listed.

Bet the DJP one was the one I put the export sheet up for. I wanted that one lol....

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only 300's produced as SRT's after 2016 are RHD I believe - maybe it's a type approval thing? Dunno.

My 2013 RHD has adaptive headlights. I'd ask for the vin of the 70 plate one and decode it see what it really has compared to the advert....

Lack of badging will be down to their cancelled order status and why they were cheap sat on the dock in miami for 6 months - they were intended as Aussie Police pursuit cars hence low spec and debadged.

The VIN decode will confirm as the police options will be listed.

Bet the DJP one was the one I put the export sheet up for. I wanted that one lol....
I did wonder if they could have been originally intended for Australian Police use - it has been suggested there have been some unmarked cars as well as the marked cars so presumably various different colours.

Pretty sure DJP used that same picture at one point so possibly the same car. When it was pictured in the UK I'm sure it had a sunroof, optional on the Core. Not sure if that would have been ordered for Police use, who knows ?

Will see if I can get the VIN for that silver one. I've been trying to source a Challenger or Charger in the US but that has not come to anything so far. Prices for a lot of it is crazy at the moment and that's before it's back here and on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hopefully not too much of a thread derail but these right hand drive 6.4s are interesting.

Looks like some got to Australia with the '6.4 Hemi' and 'Core' badging in place.

All sorts of colours used too ....

300C POLICE.png
gsmBazueVRfss8XWxcZmtkd8rs8DL8UY_4gGkei_-FY.jpg
90429253_3014627371935556_8091251462589382656_n.jpg
300C POLICE.png

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did wonder if they could have been originally intended for Australian Police use - it has been suggested there have been some unmarked cars as well as the marked cars so presumably various different colours.

Pretty sure DJP used that same picture at one point so possibly the same car. When it was pictured in the UK I'm sure it had a sunroof, optional on the Core. Not sure if that would have been ordered for Police use, who knows ?

Will see if I can get the VIN for that silver one. I've been trying to source a Challenger or Charger in the US but that has not come to anything so far. Prices for a lot of it is crazy at the moment and that's before it's back here and on the road.
I saw them in NSW in Australia when I was there in 2018 - it's what triggered the lightbulb in my head that they were still in RHD and still in production and made me get one.

MPG with the MDS is stunning compared to the GC SRT I have with the same engine - 35mpg v 21mpg.

Is it a price / value thing for a charger or challenger meaning it's coming to naught? There's plenty coming over from there and Dubai. I wouldn't let the low prices of the Dubai stuff put you off if you look at them with eyes open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hopefully not too much of a thread derail but these right hand drive 6.4s are interesting.

Looks like some got to Australia with the '6.4 Hemi' and 'Core' badging in place.

All sorts of colours used too ....

View attachment 175860 View attachment 175861 View attachment 175862 View attachment 175863
Yeah the police orders are what kept the sales alove in Aus. The SRT 300 is the only Chrysler product sold in the market for some years. As in. no 5.7 or 3.0 are imported.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is it a price / value thing for a charger or challenger meaning it's coming to naught? There's plenty coming over from there and Dubai. I wouldn't let the low prices of the Dubai stuff put you off if you look at them with eyes open.
A combination of things at the moment from my experience. Production of new Mopars was upset for a while by the pandemic apparently. As a result of that a lot of used stuff, certainly up to a few years old, is now up for as much as the original sticker price. In other words, pretty strong money.

The easy way into a 392 Challenger or Charger is Scat Pack. Most of which are actually pretty basic spec - cloth seats, small brakes etc. Right now looking at 2018 / 2019 / 2020 cars you need $40k to have a good choice of anything nice with these.

So $40k = £29k at todays rate. You won't ship door to door with proper insurance for less than £2k, add 10% duty, add 20% vat, then lighting alterations, IVA, registration etc. You're probably in for £42k. Plus all the hassle of dealing with it. For a basic car with the 392.

Many people doing it for profit just buy the cheapest stuff there is. Which is why so much of what ends up here is crap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A combination of things at the moment from my experience. Production of new Mopars was upset for a while by the pandemic apparently. As a result of that a lot of used stuff, certainly up to a few years old, is now up for as much as the original sticker price. In other words, pretty strong money.

The easy way into a 392 Challenger or Charger is Scat Pack. Most of which are actually pretty basic spec - cloth seats, small brakes etc. Right now looking at 2018 / 2019 / 2020 cars you need $40k to have a good choice of anything nice with these.

So $40k = £29k at todays rate. You won't ship door to door with proper insurance for less than £2k, add 10% duty, add 20% vat, then lighting alterations, IVA, registration etc. You're probably in for £42k. Plus all the hassle of dealing with it. For a basic car with the 392.

Many people doing it for profit just buy the cheapest stuff there is. Which is why so much of what ends up here is crap.
Looks like this RHD 300 is a good fit for you. I think it's a bargain but the cheapskate owners on the 300 forums in the UK with their gen 1's all want it priced similar to their current cars, without doing the maths that you've itemised of what it would take to get one similar over. Champagne tastes / ginger pop budget and all that.

The original seller of it in Miami had covid specials etc on shipping (free) and if you buy multiples they offer discounts as well. I was only looking for one car, but the people that brought them in for sale could have pooled together or bought 2 or 3. No IVA conversion cost on Aussie spec just needs an MOT.

There's a white higher milage one in NI as well for sale but not seen the ad recently.

Much more exclusive car than a charger / challanger...they're everywhere relatively speaking lol...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like this RHD 300 is a good fit for you. I think it's a bargain but the cheapskate owners on the 300 forums in the UK with their gen 1's all want it priced similar to their current cars, without doing the maths that you've itemised of what it would take to get one similar over. Champagne tastes / ginger pop budget and all that.

The original seller of it in Miami had covid specials etc on shipping (free) and if you buy multiples they offer discounts as well. I was only looking for one car, but the people that brought them in for sale could have pooled together or bought 2 or 3. No IVA conversion cost on Aussie spec just needs an MOT.

There's a white higher milage one in NI as well for sale but not seen the ad recently.

Much more exclusive car than a charger / challanger...they're everywhere relatively speaking lol...
Yes that white NI one looked nice, premium too, not core, but that's a fair way to go for me and looks to now be sold ? I've messaged the seller for more info on that silver 6.4. Seller mentions IVA in the advert but I don't know ? Be good to know there's the 2 original keys, owners manuals etc. Casual viewing / test drives are outside of the current guidance until it changes on the 12th so will see how it plays out. I've just had a message from a US contact that I need to speak to later today who's been working on a Widebody Challenger but I'm not hopeful. Dealers advertise at a price and maybe agree to sell for export, but then want to hit you with a load ( $3.5k ) of extra charges.

Don't think the Mk1 cars can easily be compared to the Mk2s, especially a later one with the 6.4 coupled to the 8 speed auto, that's going to be light years ahead from any Mk1 I should think ? A while ago I had a mint 5.7 Hemi and wanted an SRT8 but all the ones I looked at then were dogs, so goodness knows what state some of them must be in now ?

300C 5.7 Hemi.jpg
300C 5.7 Hemi 2.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes that white NI one looked nice, premium too, not core, but that's a fair way to go for me and looks to now be sold ? I've messaged the seller for more info on that silver 6.4. Seller mentions IVA in the advert but I don't know ? Be good to know there's the 2 original keys, owners manuals etc. Casual viewing / test drives are outside of the current guidance until it changes on the 12th so will see how it plays out. I've just had a message from a US contact that I need to speak to later today who's been working on a Widebody Challenger but I'm not hopeful. Dealers advertise at a price and maybe agree to sell for export, but then want to hit you with a load ( $3.5k ) of extra charges.

Don't think the Mk1 cars can easily be compared to the Mk2s, especially a later one with the 6.4 coupled to the 8 speed auto, that's going to be light years ahead from any Mk1 I should think ? A while ago I had a mint 5.7 Hemi and wanted an SRT8 but all the ones I looked at then were dogs, so goodness knows what state some of them must be in now ?
It would have had an IVA my point was as it's spec'd for a RHD country with similar lighting requirements to ours, it needs no modification to actually pass and so there's no cost other than submitting it for the test at same time as they MOT it, and no shoody wiring for the indicators or holes drilled.

I'd suspect the book pack may have gone AWOL the amount if time it's been on the dockside in Miami ( at least a couple years ) and possibly a key as well but I wouldn't let that put you off. Keys are easy to sort and the standard key is dull you'll want an SRT or Hellcat one for it.

Better to ask about the airbag recall being done and about the water pump - there's a warranty extension that you may struggle to get covered under and parts are difficult to get currently. The airbag can be done at a Jeep dealer FOC and I can point you in the right direction for a pump as the genuine ones are in constriction if you do buy this car and it's outstanding.

Quality of the mk2 is loads better, drive wise I actually prefer the 6.1 engine to the 6.4 - it feels 'livelier' in my uncalibrated 'butt dyno'. I've got the 8sp ZF in my GC and it's an awesome gearbox but the NAG1 can be woken up with a reprograme either with a diablosport tuner or Tranzformer Gen 1 – Z Automotive

A lot of the mk1 that were originally sold in this country won't have lived the pampered life of something similar imported I agree, but the SRT8 Tourers seem to change hands for the same money that a challenger does.

The 300 mk2 I have is the earlier 5sp NAG1, it not having the 8sp box doesn't make a massive difference to me as it sits at 70 on the m1 mostly when I drive it.

I'd have a go in that 300 when you can - I reckon to the right person it's a bargain, and when you ask about the water pump you can maybe get £500 off it. They all need the pump doing ( both my 6.4's have had it over here, I supplied the pump for Jeep to do the GC as they couldn't source one quickly....) - it's a matter of time pretty much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes sorry didn't read your original comment about IVA properly. The Australian market cars being RHD means the headlights are good to go I guess and I take it they have amber rear turn signals plus side repeaters in the mirrors from the factory. Challengers appear to be a bit of a pain for IVA, many having HID headlights and all having rear LEDs to sort out. I've been quoted £750 to 'adapt' to IVA requirements. That includes drilling the wings for side repeaters and cutting open the rear lights to mod for amber turn signals etc. None of which I'm all that keen about.

Seen loads of 6.4 Challengers and Chargers that have had a new water pump under warranty. Not sure what the issue is there ? RockAuto able to supply ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes sorry didn't read your original comment about IVA properly. The Australian market cars being RHD means the headlights are good to go I guess and I take it they have amber rear turn signals plus side repeaters in the mirrors from the factory. Challengers appear to be a bit of a pain for IVA, many having HID headlights and all having rear LEDs to sort out. I've been quoted £750 to 'adapt' to IVA requirements. That includes drilling the wings for side repeaters and cutting open the rear lights to mod for amber turn signals etc. None of which I'm all that keen about.

Seen loads of 6.4 Challengers and Chargers that have had a new water pump under warranty. Not sure what the issue is there ? RockAuto able to supply ?
£750 seems kinda cheap from what I've heard, I'd suspect that would either mean a lot of slave bulbs wrapped in black tape hidden in the boot or can bus related issues further down the line. I'd go to someone who's done good work before on that model year, as opposed to someone who says they think they can do it. A chally forum will point you to the right IVA prep people.

Yeah the rear clusters mean it is good to go with no issues, it's easy enough swopping in a US MPH dash as well - dependent on exact model year the speed dial is physical kph with a digital readout that can change kph - mph but on ignition off this reverts to kph annoyingly and it takes 5 menu presses to display mph. $400 for a used SRT MPH replacement from a US breaker and 20 mins to fit. Needs a factory diagnostic to pair and code it however.

Rockauto can supply gates / dayco et al just not mopar - which since it's a quality control issue you'd wonder why people still want a mopar pump especially since the factory fit mopar stuff isn't always the same as the aftermarket mopar branded stuff but anyways, my point was the airbag if outstanding will be done free by Jeep UK, the water pump as it's 'Quality' not 'Safety' related won't be done outside the market the car was intended for without a bit of wooden money changing hands between Chrysler Aus and Jeep UK so you're likely on the hook for that cost - 2 to 3 hours labour, the cost of the pump, and some new coolant so maybe £500 all in.

"
This part is available, however, DODGE has limited the access to this part to orders that have been submitted via "Special-Handling" requests. That slows down the delivery to us to about five business days. It is not "on the shelf" here in our warehouse as it has been restricted by Dodge. We will ship this part out to you the day we receive it, via the carrier you select at checkout.
"

Usually what that means is you need to supply your VIN to order one and the dealer then tells FCA it's in VOR status to be allowed to order a pump.

It stops people price gouging in that no one can buy up the stock which has been discounted due to the issue ( common thing, happened over here with the VW coil packs issue if you ever had that - they went from £120 each to £25 each once the issue became a proper recall you just needed a chassis vin to get them) the knock on is that rockauto sellers ( rockauto is a middleman, they ship from maindealers ) can't list availability.

Get the seller down by £500 minimum if not already swopped, and get one on the shelf ready to fit when you hear it chirping or see it leaking, you'll be fine. Try and order it when you see it leaking you'll be a month getting a genuine pump from the US etc etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts