Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, MyHemi said:

My Hemi said:
If the problem is engine related, that brings to mind something that happened to me one week ago. After I started the engine in the garage, with foot on brake, I put it into reverse. At that point, the engine coughed and sputtered, reved, and proceeded to lay rubber (about one foot) in reverse with my foot on the brake. I proceeded to push hard on the brake, the engine calmed down, then I went on my merry way.

I wonder what that was all about?
I think the comment was dismissed fairly easily. Well - this morning the exact thing happened to me. I started the car, put it in reverse, the engine sputtered, rpm's went up, and the car tried to back out of the garage. The only difference was my car didn't sputter enough to overcome the brake pressure I was using. But it did catch my attention. Any lighter pressure and the car would have jumped backwards a foot in an instant.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Unintentional Acceleration While In Drive

JMatt said:
In another thread, MyHemi said:

I think the comment was dismissed fairly easily. Well - this morning the exact thing happened to me. I started the car, put it in reverse, the engine sputtered, rpm's went up, and the car tried to back out of the garage. The only difference was my car didn't sputter enough to overcome the brake pressure I was using. But it did catch my attention. Any lighter pressure and the car would have jumped backwards a foot in an instant.
In that case, here's my post on a similar issue which began somtime ago:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5022

A subsequent identical incident actually caused me to rear-end another vehicle, thus damaging the front of my car...to the tune of about $2,200 in damages! The worst part about the whole ordeal was the fact that I was actually enroute to an appointment at my local Chrysler dealer for them to take care of an unrelated 'recall notification' issue. I also had them try to duplicate the problem, but was advised that they weren't sure what had actually caused the 'lurching' problem nor were they actually able to duplicate it. All I know is that I was without my car for about a month and this incident not only cost my insurance company a whole lot of money, but also inconvenienced me, as well as the other driver as well. :mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Vindicated at last!

This is such a concern to me that everytime I start it now, I just let it calm down for about 10 seconds before putting into reverse. It had sputtered one other time, but not as bad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad I read this, when my truck is in the driveway, it's a tight fit getting out, sure don't wanna hit my own truck :D

So what do you guys recommend? Letting it idle 10 secs or so before backing out? I haven't noticed any problem like that yet, of course I haven't driven it as much as I would like yet. Thanks in advance, like I said, sure don't wanna slam this new car into my pickup backing out of the garage, ins. agent would love that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts