Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else out there finding the horn on their 300C to be unreliable? There are times when I really NEED to use the horn, only to find I've pushed the "wrong spot". Very annoying, and dangerous.

FWIW, I've never had a problem tooting my own horn before. This is a problem unique to my C. Or is it?

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Same issue here. The first time I went to use it was when someone cut me off and I was pissed that I couldn't even honk at them. You have to push real hard to get it to blast. I've seen this on a few cars though. It seems that most of the engineering goes into the air bag and then they decide how to squeeze a horn switch in there. It's definately more common problem now with air bags.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, I am very disappointed with the horn setup. A guy was coming over and did not see me, and I had to swerve to keep from getting hit because I couldn't find the right spot on the horn. Also, I have to remember to blow for family to help get bags out of the car before I turn it off because the HORN DOES NOT BLOW IF THE CAR IS OFF........................... Go figure.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Push on the top center of the horn area; it works fine. Other places on the center of the hub may or may not permit it to blow.

It is designed not to blow if the ignition is off and either of the front doors have been opened.

Why do you feel it necessary to blow the horn when the ignition is off?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have had the same problem..........it really gets bad when you drive three or four different types of vehicles a week. Soetimes I can't remember where the wiper switch is because the stalks are different on all the cars I drive! :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Mag, I thought I was the only one...yeah, you have to fish to find the sweet spot and when you are swerving to avoid some punk in a rice rocket that is NOT my preference.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
ME TOO, POOR DESIGN, IT SHOULD HAVE A FREE FLOATINg CENTER HUB LIKE MOST OTHER CARS, like Miles, I rely on the upper 1/3 in the center and it works well. You really have to wonder if the designers and engineers actually drive the car before they bring it to market. Someone at DC should have picked this up in the very early testing, same for the right pull. I know everything won't show up in pre testing but a piss poor horn button does not require hundreds of thousands of customer miles to figure out. Perhaps we should start a move to have a customer svc campaign for a new unit installed at the dealer, anyone contact DC or NHTSA?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ah Geez

You guys had to find something else. Just kidding kinda. Yes I have the same issue with the horn. I'll add it to the list.

Bob

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
mileshoover said:
Why do you feel it necessary to blow the horn when the ignition is off?
Miles, Black Beauty explained, quite clearly, that she signals the family to help unload the car. However, as a female, I would also be concerned, for safety reasons, if I cannot use the horn for an emergency signal with the ignition off. I guess one could use the panic alarm on the keys but the keys would have to be handy... besides, I think one's first "instinct" would be to hit the horn itself. So I think the question is why did the engineers feel it necessary to cause the horn to be disabled when the ignition is off??

·
Registered
378 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Miles, Black Beauty explained, quite clearly, that she signals the family to help unload the car. However, as a female, I would also be concerned, for safety reasons, if I cannot use the horn for an emergency signal with the ignition off. I guess one could use the panic alarm on the keys but the keys would have to be handy... besides, I think one's first "instinct" would be to hit the horn itself. So I think the question is why did the engineers feel it necessary to cause the horn to be disabled when the ignition is off??
Linda,

My wife agrees with you. She doesn't like it either that it is disabled when ignition is off.

·
Registered
588 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Personally, still don't see why the horn can't be beeped BEFORE the ignition is turned off.

As to the engineers, who can tell what goes on in the mind of auto engineers under orders to cuts costs? None of it makes any sense. For example, the Canadian-delivered cars get DRL's but those delivered in the US, except rentals, do not and cannot, according to DC engineers.

Regarding the horn cut off by removing the key from the ignition, it can be sounded by hitting either the lock button or panic alarm on the ignition key. I believe it would be in anyone's hand when exiting the car. Not making excuses for DC, but some of these comments about car problems are getting very picky, IMO.

Anyone feeling strongly about this horn "problem" should deluge DC with complaints; it just might do some good, especially if enough persons complain.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
My horn works great. Anywhere I press, the horn will beep.

But I do agree that not having the horn beep with the ignition off is a major over site and should be fixed.
I can think of two scenarios where the horn would be needed with the ignition off.

1) You drive into a ditch or down a mountain side and crash the car.
Ignition doesn't work. Key alarm doesn't work. You are trapped in car. You need help.
Stupid horn doesn't work as you wonder if you will ever see your kids again.

2) You are sitting in a parking lot or street with ignition off.
Someone not paying attention starts to back out of their parking
spot and obviously will ram into your car.
There is no time to turn the ignition on.
Stupid horn doesn't work and you cringe as you helplessly feel the crunch.

I have personally been in situation number 2, sitting parked and had to honk my horn because another car was not paying attention.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I also had the horn issue. I press in the normal spot and it did not honk. It should not have a 'sweet' spot. It should work like every other car horn on the market.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, the horn not blowing is an issue for me, reasons have been listed by others and there are still others. I have asked car owners from low dollar to high dollar, and no other "engineers have come up with this cost cutting idea," that I know of.

Anyway, I love my car, so let's just all enjoy the things we do like about our cars, for that list far outweighs the "picky" issues. Have a gread day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cindy

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
It is nice that you love your car but having your horn not work when you press it is not a "picky" issue" - it is a safety issue.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
We do have a thread folks for expressing our joy "the likable little things". Modesty prevents me from saying who started this thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with you 100,that's how this got started, me mentioned the fact it didn't blow when the car was off does concern me. I was responding to mileshoover when I put "picky", that's why it was in quotation marks when he states the following:

Regarding the horn cut off by removing the key from the ignition, it can be sounded by hitting either the lock button or panic alarm on the ignition key. I believe it would be in anyone's hand when exiting the car. Not making excuses for DC, but some of these comments about car problems are getting very picky, IMO.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Why cant we wire the horn to the "hot" fuse for the in console outlet which would then work with the ignition off, this does not solve the problem of the sorry button but at least would let you blow it with the ignition off. This is a project for someone to do,post pix and instructions for the rest of us.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Black Beauty said:
I agree with you 100,that's how this got started, me mentioned the fact it didn't blow when the car was off does concern me. I was responding to mileshoover when I put "picky", that's why it was in quotation marks when he states the following:

Cindy, I got why you placed "picky" in quotes... it seems that mileshoover is one of those lucky few who have never experienced an emergency since he "can't see why the horn can't be beeped BEFORE the ignition is turned off". I guess he feels all situations are foreseeable; if only that were true.

I can think of many reasons why the horn might be needed after turning the ignition off, but not ONE for the opposite to be true. Cost-cutting?? Please!

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
We do have a thread folks for expressing our joy "the likable little things". Modesty prevents me from saying who started this thread.
Thanks for the lead, oh modest one. I could use a breath of fresh air!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts