Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got done reading
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...155130-updating-gps-system-2012-300-a-18.html

but came away with a few questions.

1) I have 3 Nuvi's with lifetime maps. some of these are due for an update, but are any (or all) compatible types, and which is best?

City Navigator North America NT 2014.20 - Map+HT, Aug 13 (Nuvi 3760LMT)
City Navigator North America NT 2011.10, Deluxe All Regions - Worldwide, April 10 (Nuvi 760)
City Navigator North America NT 2014.30,Lower 49 States - Map Only, Oct 13 (Nuvi 50Lm)

2) On my 2012, is there any functionality that gets LOST when updated from the LMT?

3) People talk about 3D on the 2013.. what is the 3D view? The 2012 looks exactly like all 3 of the above GPS's.

4) It seemed that the USB dongle was a big stopping point. Is it possible to just burn to a DVD and run that with more reliability? I understand it's technically "more expensive" than a USB, but 1DVD/quarter (or more likely about 1x/year) is not exactly gonna break the bank, especially compared with the $150 update from NavTech (which is out of stock anyway!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
1) The donor nuvi must have the same map set region of the car. For the US, it means CN North America NT Full, which includes the US, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and a bunch of other islands. No other map may be loaded. I cannot comment on your particular nuvi models, since I'm not familiar with them.

2) The only functionality that seems to be lost is the POI "Find by Phone Number", option. But who really ever uses that?!?

3) The 2013+ navigation has 3D terrain and landmarks in certain cities. It is like the newer nuvi models. So, if you're driving in mountainous areas, you see the mountains. Even if you are in a mostly flat area, the map is shaded to show subtle changes in elevation. When you're zoomed in in cities, some of the buildings have color 3D models.

4) DVD's work fine, too, but they're a LOT slower...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) The donor nuvi must have the same map set region of the car. For the US, it means CN North America NT Full, which includes the US, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and a bunch of other islands. No other map may be loaded. I cannot comment on your particular nuvi models, since I'm not familiar with them.

2) The only functionality that seems to be lost is the POI "Find by Phone Number", option. But who really ever uses that?!?

3) The 2013+ navigation has 3D terrain and landmarks in certain cities. It is like the newer nuvi models. So, if you're driving in mountainous areas, you see the mountains. Even if you are in a mostly flat area, the map is shaded to show subtle changes in elevation. When you're zoomed in in cities, some of the buildings have color 3D models.

4) DVD's work fine, too, but they're a LOT slower...
So my best bet would be "City Navigator North America NT 2014.20 - Map+HT, Aug 13" Not sure what the +HT means. How would I verify that it's compatible?

I didn't even know you could do a POI by phone #

Weird, I drove a 2013 and it didn't look any different. Anyway, no big deal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Put it on a USB stick and plug it into the car. It'll analyze the map, and if it's not compatible, it will tell you.

No idea what the "HT" means, but the compatible map should be called "CN North America NT ****.** Full".

Look at each nuvi and see if they have detailed maps for: US, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, French Guiana, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Bahamas, Saint Barthelemy, Guadeloupe, and Martinique.

If the nuvi doesn't have ALL of these areas, it's not compatible.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've got it installed in my '14, but it errors on the full update package. I'll do some experimenting to find the problem file, since I haven't spent much time on it. I've got the detailed map and 3D buildings working, but that's it.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I've got it installed in my '14, but it errors on the full update package. I'll do some experimenting to find the problem file, since I haven't spent much time on it. I've got the detailed map and 3D buildings working, but that's it.
Please keep us informed I want to update mine when I come back from vacation.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The gmapdem.img isn't really that important and is only updated infrequently.

It isn't applicable to the 2011-2012 radios, anyway.

It is the 3D terrain file, so unless any new mountains have cropped up, it's not really a big deal.

Personally, I'd stay away from it as far as our radios go. There really isn't any reason to install a new, possibly larger gmapdem.img file. One of these days, the map updates will be larger than our memory footprint, so I'd like to save as much space as I can to keep that day as far in the future as possible.

On a side note, I'm slowly getting the update loaded into the radio.

So far, I have 2015.10 detailed map, 3D buildings, and Junction View successfully loaded. That's almost good enough for me, but I'll try to see if I can get the ASR files loaded later for completeness.

It really seems to be a map size/memory space issue at this point. The map updates keep growing in size, and the update system in the Uconnect doesn't seem to be adapting well.

If you notice, there is no official update for any of the 2013+ radios, though there are definitely newer maps going into the radios from the factory. My '14 Charger had 2014.30 maps preinstalled, and it was manufactured in September 13, so the map was pretty current at the time. I think that there might be trouble getting newer maps in the '13 - '14 using the official update disk. Who knows, maybe manually installing maps from the nuvi's may be the ONLY way to update maps in a '13 or up. I wouldn't put it past the Uconnect team to completely drop the ball on this one...

So far, my update to 2015.10 has been a convoluted path. I initially tried to use the full update from the nuvi with gmapprom.img and gmap3d manually unlocked, and got an almost immediate error during validation.

Then, I tried removing some of the files, and it still would error (0x3401, I think).

Finally, I bit the bullet and tried the update with just gmapprom.img. That worked, but it emptied out most of the supporting files for the OEM maps, so it's a one-way trip if you can't get the rest on.

Doing an inventory of what was left over after that, I saw that I still had the gmap3D file from the OEM install, so I added the 2015.10 gmap3D.img to the USB stick, and it also installed successfully.

This morning, on the way to work, I removed gmap3D.img from the USB stick (in case it didn't get erased) and added the JCV folder. That worked, too, and the 2015.10 gmap3D was preserved as well.

I'll keep trickling in files to the USB stick until I figure out what the best install method. I did take the time to inventory the OEM files, and I can confirm that an OEM installation has a few less files than the nuvi. Maybe some of the other nuvi files are unnecessary.

·
Registered
875 Posts
So i met up with Yellow Toy on the weekend and i can 100% say his Sat nav is different
to mine. I don't know if his Uconnect is a newer model but i tried both the USB keys
i made for mine and the both said validating update after 5 min of that another splash screen
comes up and says

Please Visit http://garmin.com/chrysler

It also lists his Unit ID and Validation Code..

Now these are his version number

CTP 2012
Unit ID. xxxx(there is a number)
Software Version 4.10
GPS. 3.00
DR. 2.00
Text. 2.60 (british english)
Audio 2.30 (british english)
Detailed Maps: 2011 (c) 2011 NAVTEQ

These are My number

Model. CTP13
Unit ID. xxxx(there is a number)
Software Version 2.33
GPS. 4.15.01
Text. 2.04 (british english)
Audio 2.00 (british english-kate)
Detailed Maps: 2014 (c) 1987-2014 HERE

So all i can see is he is running a new Software Version at 4.10 and im on 2.33 ??

Hey tanbam mate can you tell me which one have I got?

John.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There are currently three systems out there in the 300, CTP11, CTP12, and CTP2013.

The CTP11 were for the 2011 cars, the CTP12 were for 2012's, and the CTP2013 is in the 2013-2014's.

The CTP11/12's are very similar. I think the major difference is that the CTP11 does not have traffic.

The CTP2013's are much different, as you can tell by just looking at them!

The easiest way for someone who isn't used to the differences between the two is to look at the main "Where To?" screen. The CTP11/12 units have a magnifying glass, and the CTP2013's have an arrow.

The software versions between the models is independent of each other. There's no real way to tell based on each one to see which one is more current.

For a while, the latest software version for the CTP2013 was 3.xx and the latest version for the CTP11/12's was 4.xx, but the CTP2013 software is definitely newer.

The latest software for the CTP2013's is 4.xx now, but I don't remember the exact number. There's no easy way to get the software updates other than a dealership, and they're notoriously difficult to convince to look for an updated software disk.

I think I may have seen one floating around somewhere on a forum, but I'll have to search around and see.

The CTP11/12's need to have an unlock code entered in before the map update can be started. I detailed the process for generating the code in the 2011-2012 guide linked in my post above. The CTP2013's do not need an unlock code.

You were just starting the process for entering the unlock code when you were trying to install the maps. The next popup window would have prompted you for the code, and once entered, the update will begin.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For what its worth, I don't think that they're "out of stock".

I think its more likely that its more like "tired of dealing with unhappy customers who cannot update their systems with the disk they bought".

I've got a bad (but not unexpected given the track record) feeling that official update disks are not working out as well as they thought they would.

Based on the trouble folks are having with the latest two map updates in the 2013-14 systems, I do not believe that there will ever be an official update for those years.

The problem is that the maps have gotten too big for the way that the Uconnect updates the system, at least for the puny US radios. EU radios have a bit more room to stretch out, since their maps were much larger to begin with and were designed with more flash memory.

The only way to get a full update on a 2013-2014 US vehicle is to roll your own map update. On the plus side, if you roll your own, you can get new maps every three months or so.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's weird given the robustness of Garmin in the field that this wasn't better executed. It is strange to me that when a Factory NAV is generally a very expensive option, yet you can get a Nuvi with lifetime updates for well under $100. It seems the only benefit to the integrated system is that you don't have to figure out where to stick the GPS unit, and the downsides are expensive (or unavailable) updates.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Garmin executed just fine; the Nav system is pretty great. I've yet to see another factory Nav system that I like better than the one in these cars.

I place the ball firmly in Chrysler/Uconnect's court on this one. They're the ones who took a great Garmin navigation module and stuck it in the short-sighted and unsupported 1st gen 8.4 Uconnect system. Perhaps the 2nd Gen 8.4AN systems are much better integrated and easier to work with.

It's not as bad of a situation when you can just slap some Garmin files on a USB stick and plug it in to do the update (putting it simply), and it's downright cool when you add Custom POI's with proximity alerts and custom sounds. Everyone thinks it's really neat when my car announces that I'm approaching a red-light camera intersection.

·
Registered
875 Posts
So tanbam,

Im glad you think its easy lol so what your saying is my system CTP12 is for the 2012 cars well my build date is 4/13 so Chrysler has given me a 2012 system.
But can still be updated with the latest maps now we have worked out the steps and what I got?

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Sure you can. Mine (a CTP12) updates just fine. Currently running 2015.10.

Edit: Altho I note mine likely has different firmware, being an SRT. That shouldn't matter to the Garmin part of it tho, you wouldn't think.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts