Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This blows. Chrysler was denied its tooling from the now bankrupt Plastech. Chrysler and Plastech reached an agreement last week to be supplied to Feb 27th. What does this mean?

It's not as if you can order these parts from anyone else. The way I see it is new parts from a new supplier will need to be certified, including crash tested. Is this going to delay new car orders after existing supplies dwindle??? Look what happened only a few weeks ago when several plants were closed.

Humm, maybe Chrysler should buy them out!!!
------------------------
Chrysler’s Motion to Reclaim its Tooling From Plastech is Denied

Auburn Hills, Mich., Feb 19, 2008 - Today a Federal Bankruptcy Judge in Detroit ruled that Chrysler LLC cannot reclaim its tooling from Plastech. Plastech, a Tier I supplier of various interior, exterior and powertrain plastic components, filed for bankruptcy protection on Feb. 1 after Chrysler notified the supplier it had terminated its supplier contracts and was taking action to recover its tooling. The matter was argued in a two-day hearing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

Chrysler’s statement, to be attributed to Chrysler spokesperson, Kevin Frazier, is as follows:

“We are obviously disappointed with this decision. We cannot provide further information at this time. However, we will continue to work with all parties to ensure that our plants continue to receive deliveries of parts."
-------------------

Bernie

·
Registered
561 Posts
If this delay's your GC SRT8 Rambit, I will cast a mold for the interior plastics myself and we will get this done. :)

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this delay's your GC SRT8 Rambit, I will cast a mold for the interior plastics myself and we will get this done. :)
Ya know, that was the FIRST thing that came to my mind. At this point I say screw everyone else, it's all about me now...haha. Seriously, I'm getting just a tad concerned!!!

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RS, where the hell are you!!!...haha.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
LOL Well, two things can be said from this:
1. This is what Chrysler gets for using a crappy company like Plastech

2. Hopefully it results in wiser choices, but I doubt it.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's look at it on the bright side. Maybe this'll mean better dashes down the road! Then again I could end up with a Caviler dash in my Jeep.:pat:

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I gotta say this though, sitting at the sidelines, I think people are going completely overboard with expectations as far as interiors go. What's the big F-ing deal? I like the interior in the 300, it might not be as buttery as say that in a TL, but the TL costs almost the same and doesn't have a 5.7L V8 or RWD drivetrain :)

If they put more $$ into the interior, they have 2 choices - cut costs elsewhere, or raise the cost of the car, and Chrysler seems dead set against doing that because they want high sales #s (Typic american companies and their pride, they could actually make a profit if they were able to make a profit selling fewer cars!)

So we'd end up with stuff like cheaper bolts, less insulation, cheaper steering wheels, etc.

That, or they'd simply go right for the one other thing our cars have going for them - the sound system! I know a lot of enthusiasts here think it's junk, but it did place in the top 10 at edmunds a while back, watch, if they have to cut costs, it'll come from that first I'm positive :)

Top 10 Sound Systems in Cars Under $30,000 for 2005
Top 10 Sound Systems in Cars Over $30,000 for 2005

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta say this though, sitting at the sidelines, I think people are going completely overboard with expectations as far as interiors go. What's the big F-ing deal? I like the interior in the 300, it might not be as buttery as say that in a TL, but the TL costs almost the same and doesn't have a 5.7L V8 or RWD drivetrain :)

If they put more $$ into the interior, they have 2 choices - cut costs elsewhere, or raise the cost of the car, and Chrysler seems dead set against doing that because they want high sales #s (Typic american companies and their pride, they could actually make a profit if they were able to make a profit selling fewer cars!)

So we'd end up with stuff like cheaper bolts, less insulation, cheaper steering wheels, etc.

That, or they'd simply go right for the one other thing our cars have going for them - the sound system! I know a lot of enthusiasts here think it's junk, but it did place in the top 10 at edmunds a while back, watch, if they have to cut costs, it'll come from that first I'm positive :)

Top 10 Sound Systems in Cars Under $30,000 for 2005
Top 10 Sound Systems in Cars Over $30,000 for 2005
I agree totally and really don't see what the problem is with the Challenger.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Because they can't create anything new and it's not really that exciting :)

Exciting interiors are something Chrysler hasn't been able to pull off since the 57 300C (IMHO), and usually when you play risky, you might have a nice one, and might have an ugly one. See the Honda Civic for example.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This blows. Chrysler was denied its tooling from the now bankrupt Plastech. Chrysler and Plastech reached an agreement last week to be supplied to Feb 27th. What does this mean?
Generally, the automaker/designer of the part owns the tooling... the stuff costs millions of dollars to make, and beyond upfitting an assembly plant to build a car, its their biggest investment in building a new model car. Why they can't get it back is beyond me... unless they asked the supplier (plastech) to front the cost of the tooling, and amortize that cost into the piece-price of the parts...? It could be bad for Chrysler if they can't get this stuff back. They'll have to spend a ton of money for new tooling, and it would mean big delays in parts...

As far as my thoughts on the Challenger, here's what I wrote over on the LX Forums after a bunch of people were dogging the car...

I think you guys should be happy that they built the damn thing at all. Sheesh.

If putting a not-so-fancy interior in this car allows them to have a higher profit margin and actually make some money - good for them. They need to make a much money as they can so that they can stay in business, and make more cool cars like this in the future.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Generally, the automaker/designer of the part owns the tooling... the stuff costs millions of dollars to make, and beyond upfitting an assembly plant to build a car, its their biggest investment in building a new model car. Why they can't get it back is beyond me... unless they asked the supplier (plastech) to front the cost of the tooling, and amortize that cost into the piece-price of the parts...? It could be bad for Chrysler if they can't get this stuff back. They'll have to spend a ton of money for new tooling, and it would mean big delays in parts...

As far as my thoughts on the Challenger, here's what I wrote over on the LX Forums after a bunch of people were dogging the car...

I think you guys should be happy that they built the damn thing at all. Sheesh.

If putting a not-so-fancy interior in this car allows them to have a higher profit margin and actually make some money - good for them. They need to make a much money as they can so that they can stay in business, and make more cool cars like this in the future.
Very insightful post! I take it you think this is a very serious setback for Chrysler then? To be honest I have no idea what "tooling" is, but it seems to me it must be some sort of mold they use to make these plastic parts. I can only imagine these would have to be remade and I'm almost certain extensive testing for certification would have to be done. I'm also thinking this isn't something that's done overnight.

Oh, and I agree with your comments on the challenger as well.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I don't think it's *that* big a deal, Chrysler has had a rep for quite a long time now to use computers in their design of their cars more than anyone else, and these days, I think most car companies would use CAD to design the parts, and thus their molds.

In fact, if you've kept up on the optimus keyboard project you can see where the dude talks about the plastic molding process and creating said molds.

If that's the case, Chrysler's really just out the costs to make new molds. If they were computer-generated, they should be almost identical to the original ones Plastech is using anyway, and I don't see why they'd have to recertify those!

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That may be the easiest part, but there's no denying government regulations that require all parts to be tested. You can't even change a knob without doing that.

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, cannot provide further information at this time. Also, not allowed to discuss future product. Suggest that you contact your dealer for more information.
You're with THEM!!!...haha. Way TOO funny.

Bernie

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's not the design of the tooling/parts that hurts, it's the cost to reproduce the tools if they can't get them back...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts