Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 300C with 49K on it. Been a great car. I know a fair amount about them and the SRT8s. Going to look at a 2007 Black SRT8 with 13K miles on it today. Dealer asking 30K. I generally know the differences between the cars and have owned performance cars before. I realize it is a great car, but want to ask some questions about my doubts:
1) Ground clearanse - think they are 5.1" vs 5.6", correct/any issues?
2) Gas milage - about 13 MPG all around and High Test required?
3) Tires - do they offer all season? This car has the Goodyear Eagle F1, believe they are the summer tires. Any issues with these - also can you get all season rubber or do you have to replace every thing?
4) Is the ride too stiff for every day driving - it would be an everyday car in the North East.

That said I am very tempted. The tires are an issue though. I know they cost alot and I need the all season.

Thanks

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I have a 2005 300C with 49K on it. Been a great car. I know a fair amount about them and the SRT8s. Going to look at a 2007 Black SRT8 with 13K miles on it today. Dealer asking 30K. I generally know the differences between the cars and have owned performance cars before. I realize it is a great car, but want to ask some questions about my doubts:
1) Ground clearanse - think they are 5.1" vs 5.6", correct/any issues?
2) Gas milage - about 13 MPG all around and High Test required?
3) Tires - do they offer all season? This car has the Goodyear Eagle F1, believe they are the summer tires. Any issues with these - also can you get all season rubber or do you have to replace every thing?
4) Is the ride too stiff for every day driving - it would be an everyday car in the North East.

That said I am very tempted. The tires are an issue though. I know they cost alot and I need the all season.

Thanks

Bob
With the SRT8s you have to be a little more careful about curb height when parking nose in (if you go over the burm, you may pull the nose off when you back out); curb verticality when you park parallel (easy to introduce curb rash).

Fuel economy will depend on how you drive. Lots os stop and go city traffic and you will be about 13 mpg/tankful. Open road trips should garner 22+ mpg (at least they do with my MSRT8). I've been VERY pleased with that.
The 300C provides +1 to +2 better than that, but that's all.

The F1s are a "three season" tire and are just plain dangerous from what I've read at temperatures below about 40 F. GY Eagle RSAs are the other OEM "All Season" radials... but there are a number of other choices. The RSAs have been "okay" for me through two winters now... but next season I will be going with two legit snow tires on the rear... the next winter... two more for all four corners.

Too stiff fir daily? Not for me even on fairly rough streets. Definitely bumpier than you've had with the 300C, but not objectionable to my seat of the pants. Now if you plan suspension things, e.g., lowering, etc., then the stiffness can be increased appreciably. But as stock goes... not bad at all IMO.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim. The car was very nice. Do you know if the RSAs can be put on the same rims or do I have to change the back rims out. Can the rims be switched to the front than. Had a car once where I had to change the tires every year - bit of a pain thought the summer tires sure handled better. The car had no nav or u connect which was a bummer for me. Don't think it had premium sound - did have a sun roof. It definitely was quicker and handled better (firmer). Not sure if that is enough to win me over. I'm not the track or racing type and my C has enough get up and go. Thought I would be wowed and was impressed but not wowed. Maybe just getting older. It needed gas and couldn't help but notice when we pulled into the gas station that premium was like .12 more a gallon. That said I can afford all that, just my Scottish heritage coming out. I am on the fence.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Yes, RSAs are good for all four corners and can be rotated. Unless it had the Kicker system I think the sound is the same as your C... and not the premium sound of the system in the Heritage Edition (although non-kicker). U-Connect can be added (I did that to my MSRT8). Probably all you need is the harness that goes from the A-pillar up to the headliner and over to the mirror... and an electronic rearview mirror if your is a manual dim.

Also there are dealers who are making $32k deals for "new" 2007 SRT8s (not common, but not extremely rare either). So only $2k off that price region seems like you might be able to negotiate a slightly better deal for a car with a years worth of mileage on it.

If you weren't wowed, then stay with your C. If you add up your present fuel consumption and assume 2-3 mpg less for the SRT8, you're still only talking a few hundred dollars difference in annual cost. That's my take anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts