Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I put the Mopar hitch on the car myself this morning and went to the local trailer hitch store and found a ball mount tall enough to hold my Kendon trailer level -- not easy since the trailer needs a 22" ball height.

I ended up having the trailer shop weld the ball mount adapter to the Mopar L-shaped receiver hitch adapter. That helped get rid of some of the slop in the system, but there is still a lot of slop in the connection between the hitch itself and the L-shaped adapter...

And I'm still waiting on the brake light module from Mopar to make the whole thing legal. Anyone have an update as to when this will become available?

With 1 bike on there (about 1000lbs total) I barely notice I am towing anything with the 300C...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I also might have an occasion to haul something. Does the hitch destroy the looks of the car with no trailer attached or is it barely noticeable?

Was the hitch easy to install?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I consider the hitch to be easy to install, but I have a fully stocked garage with air tools, torque wrenches, etc. I like working on this car in general. If you are not into this stuff, you are better off having someone install it.

With the adapters removed, you see almost nothing. Just a little 2.5"x2.5" box that pokes out maybe a 1/4" down from the bumper. It's is truly a hidden hitch. Very well designed in my opinion. But also double the cost of the aftermarket brands....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
vanilla

could you please send me or post a picture of the hitch w/out the arm and ball in it so i can see how much hangs down. i am in the thoughts of buying one also but i dont know where to get one and how much are they. i am looking to pull a small fiberglass speed boat 85 hp. i just dont want the rear of my car to look messy with a big hurkin hitch on it. so if this one is well hidden i would like to go with it thank you in advance, oh yea what did you do for the wire harness for trailor lights?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
gump said:
could you please send me or post a picture of the hitch w/out the arm and ball in it so i can see how much hangs down. i just dont want the rear of my car to look messy with a big hurkin hitch on it.
Rear drop depends mostly upon the weight put on the trailer ball by the trailer's front end. If you weigh that, then go to a good hitch place where they specialize, you can quickly determine what kind of hitch is needed -- factory or something special -- to get the desired level appearance of your car while towing. If your trailer tongue weight is very heavy, an equalizer hitch will solve the problem nicely.

(Using cars only, I towed travel trailers of over 6K pounds with hitch weights of over 500 pounds for many years).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
1000#'s with 1 bike? Ahhhhh.... I see you have a Hardley! Next time, go lighter... think Japaneese (Also includes more HP)!

Just busting your chops......


That hitch looks odd, and I think it is the angle at which that is welded on there... I would suggest keeping an eye on the welds and watch out for any cracks you may see developing... that is quite a moment being applied there if your figures of 1000# is accurate.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
midwestrc said:
1000#'s with 1 bike? Ahhhhh.... I see you have a Hardley! Next time, go lighter... think Japaneese (Also includes more HP)!

Just busting your chops......


That hitch looks odd, and I think it is the angle at which that is welded on there... I would suggest keeping an eye on the welds and watch out for any cracks you may see developing... that is quite a moment being applied there if your figures of 1000# is accurate.......
I suppose I could buy a foreign bike and spend half the money for twice the bike, but that wouldn't be very American would it? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
mileshoover said:
Rear drop depends mostly upon the weight put on the trailer ball by the trailer's front end. If you weigh that, then go to a good hitch place where they specialize, you can quickly determine what kind of hitch is needed -- factory or something special -- to get the desired level appearance of your car while towing. If your trailer tongue weight is very heavy, an equalizer hitch will solve the problem nicely.

(Using cars only, I towed travel trailers of over 6K pounds with hitch weights of over 500 pounds for many years).
what are you talking about reread my post that is not what i was saying at all. i want to see a pix of the car without the ball and arm on it i just want to see the rear of the car with out any of the stuff on it to see if i can see the frame of the hitch sticking out of the rear of the car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
OK, whatever you say. The protrusion of the hitch receiver from the rear of the car is pretty much how it is installed. A boat with an 85 hp engine can be a bit heavy. Just trying to help you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gump said:
what are you talking about reread my post that is not what i was saying at all. i want to see a pix of the car without the ball and arm on it i just want to see the rear of the car with out any of the stuff on it to see if i can see the frame of the hitch sticking out of the rear of the car
Believe me, you don't see anything with the Mopar hitch. Yes with the aftermarket ones....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
gump said:
thats what i wanted to know. i'm still not sure what mileshover is talking about.
What I was talking about is that the <weight> of a trailer tongue pushes the rear of a normal car down. The amount of weight towed likewise contributes to the problem. All cars have a limit for these specs put out by the manufacturer.

However, those limits can be safely exceeded IF you add some assisting devices. I thought you were concerned not only about appearance of your car regarding the hitch receiver, but also about whether or not it was level when towing.

Obviously, I was wrong and you don't need any assistance. Pardon me.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top