Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to my 300C and I have noticed that the steering (tracking) is ever so vague. I feel like I have to be "driving" the car a bit too much.

My car is a 2012 300C with 12000 miles. I wonder if this is a characteristic of the car or do I have a front toe in situation. The tires show no uneven ware. I'm going to get an alignment soon and I was wondering if having the toe in set to it's max allowed setting would help or will I just eat up my tires?

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
The steering in these cars is a bit overboosted so steering feel, return to on-center and feedback is a bit vague.

It won't hurt to check the alignment at 12k miles in any event.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I find the steering rather hard work, too much road rumble coming through the steering wheel and a definite lack of power assistance at parking speeds, I wonder how some 90 pound female stick insect can reverse park this bloody monster.

However, wheel return to centre is quick and precise , hardly any white line sensitivity, and no vagueness, straight and true even with severe road camber.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm quite satisfied with the handling. Actually rather remarkable.

It's the tracking on my car that has me wondering. It's not that it's so bad but rather that it's not so good.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just to put a cap on this - I had a 4 wheel alignment done today.

The left front wheel was considerably out of spec. Too much toe in. We figure somebody hit a curb or pot hole with some force. Now to get the car at speed and see if the problem is fixed. All other wheels were within spec.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also keep in mind that if you had the factory 20" wheels, you also have a different steering setup than stock. 25% quicker ratio and something in the on-center was adjusted too.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I think gen II's steering is much better than gen I where it comes to bump steer. The gen I car tracked better, but the steering wheel would "dance" in your hands. Problem solved by replacing the steering rack bushings which changed the angle and relieved some of the strain on the tie rods. Peddars has a set of bushings that have the proper offset to resolve the problem in the gen I.

It was something I looked for when I test drove the gen II cars and none of the wheel/tire combos exhibited the "dancing wheel" from gen I. So it seems as if it was something that was addressed by Chrysler.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I do have the 20' wheels and I was unaware that the set up was different for that option. Sure hope my alignment shop took that into consideration.

I was aware of many changes/up grades on the Series II cars, in a general sort of way, but not the specifics. I'm looking forward to some freeway speed to see what we got.:lick:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I hope they knew to turn off the DRL's while doing the alignment as was posted by another user.

So have you had a chance to check things out at speed now?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet. No high speed roads around here but I will be on the Interstate in a few days. There does seem to be some improvement at 55mph but not as much as I would have imagined, given how "wacked out" that rt. front was.
We'll see.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Check MidnightMarauder's thread here: link

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay. I got er out on the Interstate and the steering is somewhat improved.

The general feel is about like Maddog describes it. I can live with it but she is no Jaguar but the general ride comfort is better than most Jags which is why I bought this car. The seats are outstanding for these old bones.:fing02:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts