Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was wandering if i could pick your brains for some opinions. I have an 06 touring 3.5L and it has just over 38k on it. as far as i know the oil has been changed at normal intervals, and i know for a fact it has in the year and a half ive owned it because i have done it myself. i have also recently switched to full synthetic from conventional oil.

this past week i have noticed what sounds like a valve tapping on the passenger side of the engine, its not consistent and seems to speed up and slow down with acceleration/decceleration. i switched to 91 octane today to see if it stops. after one day on 91 i havent heard it. any thoughts? any one else deal with this yet on the 3.5L?? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would change where i get my gas but i buy it at quick trip, and i used 91 this last time:dunno: . i have a 63 impala with a 10.5:1 383 stroker and it doesnt ping on 91 from QT until 6000rpm. youre right about ping not happening at idle, i think the valves just need to be adjusted. im setting up an appt with the dealership today. thanks for your input!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used castrol gtx synthetic, 10w-30. i went to the dealer and of course it wouldnt make the noise for the service center!!! go figure. i talked to a couple of friends who own service shops and they both told me to switch back to the factory correct mopar oil filter. they said that its possible the wix filter i used isnt flowing good enough and that maybe the oil wasnt always making it to the top of the motor, causing the odd and inconsistant timing of the ticking. i am trying that this week, and oddly enough it hasnt made the sound in a few days now! everyone including the dealership said that the brand of oil or synthetic in general isnt the problem as long as it is the factory correct weight.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
i used castrol gtx synthetic, 10w-30. i went to the dealer and of course it wouldnt make the noise for the service center!!! go figure. i talked to a couple of friends who own service shops and they both told me to switch back to the factory correct mopar oil filter. they said that its possible the wix filter i used isnt flowing good enough and that maybe the oil wasnt always making it to the top of the motor, causing the odd and inconsistant timing of the ticking. i am trying that this week, and oddly enough it hasnt made the sound in a few days now! everyone including the dealership said that the brand of oil or synthetic in general isnt the problem as long as it is the factory correct weight.
There is no such thing as Castrol GTX synthetic.

I bet you they put something thicker in there seeing it was cheaper to sneak in.

Go get your oil changed at a good shop or even the dealer and it will be fine.

There is nothing wrong with WIX filters, I bet your the service center scerwed you over and put some other type of oil in seeing Castrol GTX synthetic doesn't exist.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my bad i didnt remember exactly what the cartons siad:pat: , but it was castrol synthetic. i did it myself, so i know for a fact it was 10w-30. didnt mean to say it was gtx, but ive used castrol in all my cars ive owned so it was what i bought to change the oil in the 300. wierd thing is it hasnt made the noise in 3 or 4 days now. ive been listening close. just to feel better about it i went to the dealership and got a mopar oil filter and i will be changing the oil again just to make sure its all fresh and there is no debris in the motor. thanks for the input! hopefully it will stay quiet from now on!!!!!

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
don't waste your money and dump good oil.

There is nothing wrong with the oil and filter you have in there now.

Dumping the oil will do no good and as you say, it is quiet now so just drive it and enjoy it.

Maybe the synthetic cleaned something out that wasnt' supposed to be there and now all is well.

Again, there is nothing wrong with a Wix filter and it is better than any Mopar filter from the dealer for sure. You swapping that on is for no benefit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, now that it is quiet im not touching it!

....well, other than maybe getting around to installing those eibach 2'' drop springs ive had sitting in my basement for two weeks!!!! :fing02:

thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts