Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this a while ago. One wheel, right around the valve stem, has the chrome starting to bubble up. Very slight, but I know it will turn into a problem later on. Took it to my dealer and expected them to blow it off since it's so small. They took a picture of it and said they would call me soon. They called me THE NEXT DAY saying my new wheel was in and when do I want to bring the car in to have it installed. Once again, I have to give Kudos to Galeana Chrysler for handling problems quickly and efficiently. Here's a pic of the issue.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hmmm, I should check all of mine out to make sure that's not happening. Glad yours was taken care of quick and easy!

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,567 Posts
Once it starts to lift like that all is lost. All it will do is spread across a larger area. That was great service by your dealer!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
...Took it to my dealer and expected them to blow it off since it's so small. They took a picture of it and said they would call me soon. They called me THE NEXT DAY saying my new wheel was in and when do I want to bring the car in to have it installed. Once again, I have to give Kudos to Galeana Chrysler for handling problems quickly and efficiently. Here's a pic of the issue.

http://s217.photobucket.com/user/cannonjbp/media/001_zps56d2efa4.jpg.html
Freaking amazing!!! I'm totally flabbergasted that the dealer took immediate action the way they did... OUTSTANDING!!! :headbang:

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Damn - you have a good dealer man. Be grateful. That's rare.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn - you have a good dealer man. Be grateful. That's rare.
Oh I am. I've been through a lot of "bad" dealers in my life, all with other brands of cars. These people have actually restored my faith in dealerships. They treat you like you would expect after the sale, not one of those "and you are?" after you've bought the vehicle.
And, MADDOG is absolutely correct. Once corrosion gets under the finish, it won't stop till it's covered the whole wheel. "Even while you're sleepin, it keeps on creepin"

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I don't have the same problem but it looks like a small chunk of mine has been gouged out. I have been meaning to run by the dealer but time is scarce these days. Most would not notice it but my eyes are draw to it every time I walk by my car. :damnit:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I just showed my rims to a mag wheel repair shop, and they said it's not paint they had been dipped in a tank.
They also said there's no way of matching the finish, and if I wanted them to match they would have to paint all four.
Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just showed my rims to a mag wheel repair shop, and they said it's not paint they had been dipped in a tank.
They also said there's no way of matching the finish, and if I wanted them to match they would have to paint all four.
Is this correct?
As far a I know, the vapor chrome is just that, chrome plating on an aluminum wheel.

Update..... I just took the car in this morning to get the wheel replaced, and the tech noticed that the other three are doing the same thing in the same spot. They took pictures of the others and are waiting for Chrysler's OK to order three more.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Galeana called me yesterday (Friday) morning to say the new wheels were in. I called my service writer, and he said, "bring it in and we'll get it done". A couple hours later, I was back on the road with all new wheels! Now THAT'S service!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I feel like just when I think my SRT8 is finally trouble free, I see this thread and randomly go check out mine. Why, why, why. I think I've had every thing replaced in this car so far, literally. Looks like I'm getting new rims as well. This has peeled so much I didn't even notice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel like just when I think my SRT8 is finally trouble free, I see this thread and randomly go check out mine. Why, why, why. I think I've had every thing replaced in this car so far, literally. Looks like I'm getting new rims as well. This has peeled so much I didn't even notice.
Man Spartaa... you've had your share of woes with this one. I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Man Spartaa... you've had your share of woes with this one. I hope it all works out for you.
I hope so too. Chrysler needs to just replace my vehicle or extend my warranty. This is ridiculous.

Anyone experiencing front deck squeaking too? It's pretty obvious if I'm not playing music. What I don't get is how can the MSRP be $55K with all these issues?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ayup!!! That's exactly where it starts too...same location where my flaking started as well... It's like that part of the wheel is prone to start peeling or something. The two wheelz I had replaced had chrome flaking in the same exact location of the wheel...come on, Chrysler! :smashfrea

·
Registered
305 Posts
At the dealership now in San Diego. I just moved here a few days ago and already going to become a regular at the dealership. Smh.

They are going to do digital imaging tomorrow at 7am. I showed them the valve stems as well. Manager said try to find any blemishes on all the rims so they can do a one stop shop.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
At the dealership now in San Diego. I just moved here a few days ago and already going to become a regular at the dealership. Smh.

They are going to do digital imaging tomorrow at 7am. I showed them the valve stems as well. Manager said try to find any blemishes on all the rims so they can do a one stop shop.
Aww Man! So you left the East Coast?!! So Miramar or Camp Pendleton? Sounds like that dealership is guiding you in the right direction! But what's wrong w/ your stems?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Last month i was getting my tires rotated and the tire tech comes in and tells me my rims are flaking....I was like WHAT?...3 out of the 4....unreal! My dealership replaced them within a week, so all good now.The fourth one no problems, as of yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I figured I would comment on this as I happened upon it some time ago.

Van Andel Flikkema in Grand Rapids MI is replacing all of my wheels on my 2012 SRT with similar issues at no cost to me this coming Monday.

They have also replaced the carbon fiber shifter bezel that was pealing.

I am very happy with this dealership. I have one that is half the distance from where I live but those guys are idiots. Worth the extra 20 miles for exceptional service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All four wheels on my '13 SRT had various levels of flaking. I figured I'd search for info. online for "vapor chrome flaking" before I took it into my preferred dealer, Jim Browne CJDR of Tampa Bay. I found this thread and printed out all the posts before I headed in last Friday afternoon. The service advisor and I walked around and checked out each rim verifying each had flaking. He said he'd need to discuss with the service manager and make some calls to determine how it would be handled. I gave him the printout of this thread in hopes that it would minimize any hassle.

Got a call this morning - four new wheels will be at the dealership in a few days.

Posting just in case it can help someone else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts