Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
holy sh*t this looks awesome!

is there any more information available on how to install and on what cars are supported. i have a 2012 lancia thema branded diesel 300c...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Interesting that it lists it compatible with 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014, but not 2013. Hmmm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the version for the 07 300's. It has the same technical specs that that unit has, except mine has Android 7.
It is the right amount of ram in it, some of the cheap ones have only 1gb, while this unit has 2gb.

With mine, if the last thing that you were listening to was the radio, it will start playing within seconds of starting the car.
If you do what I did, and connect a hard drive (SSD) or flash drive, formatted Fat32, you can store your music collection on it, and play them with the built in file player, or one from the play store.

If the last thing you listened to was a music file, it can take about 30 seconds before it starts to play the music again.

You should be able to connect to an elm327 obd2 connector, and do vehicle diagnostics with the Torque app, or others available in the play store.
I use the torque app, and have it set so that it displays additional gauges, like voltage, vacuum and such.

Oh, and mine works with the Cobra iradar detector so that it can display useful info about the detected signal and such.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the info! How's the sound quality with yours? I am kinda baffled that there's a "4*45W Output Power" spec for the unit since the chrysler 300 has a harman/kardon sound system with an independant amp...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting that it lists it compatible with 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014, but not 2013. Hmmm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouldn't trust their compatibility guides. It's clearly not for a 1st gen 2010 and they even have the 1st gen 300c image on the screenshot. I have the 1st gen one and their years of compatibility were all screwed up as well. I would use the unit it replaces as the best indicator for what year it will work with.

The good news is that once installed, it's an awesome upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the version for the 07 300's. It has the same technical specs that that unit has, except mine has Android 7.
It is the right amount of ram in it, some of the cheap ones have only 1gb, while this unit has 2gb.

With mine, if the last thing that you were listening to was the radio, it will start playing within seconds of starting the car.
If you do what I did, and connect a hard drive (SSD) or flash drive, formatted Fat32, you can store your music collection on it, and play them with the built in file player, or one from the play store.

If the last thing you listened to was a music file, it can take about 30 seconds before it starts to play the music again.

You should be able to connect to an elm327 obd2 connector, and do vehicle diagnostics with the Torque app, or others available in the play store.
I use the torque app, and have it set so that it displays additional gauges, like voltage, vacuum and such.

Oh, and mine works with the Cobra iradar detector so that it can display useful info about the detected signal and such.
What about the T8 processor on our 1st gen model vs T3 on this one? Also the current versions of our units now have Android 8.1, but it may be possible to upgrade.

For anyone buying these, spend the extra dollars for the extra ram version.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the info! How's the sound quality with yours? I am kinda baffled that there's a "4*45W Output Power" spec for the unit since the chrysler 300 has a harman/kardon sound system with an independant amp...
The sound quality on mine is pretty good, and it also has 4X45 watt output.
If it does not come with the adapter box, aka Pac, you will need one to connect to the canbus, but it likely comes with one.
Remember to disconnect the battery, either when it is being installed, or at least after you are done installing it, or there will be no sound. The computer controls the volume, and if the computer is not reset, it will not recognize the head unit until it is disconnected.

·
Registered
458 Posts
With Android 6 the T3 is more than enough of a processor, because he has the 2gb of ram, and the ram in these is what really determines performance.
If it had only 1gb, even with a T8, it would have been, sloooooooooooooooooooooow.... Like driving down the road pounding on the screen and yelling, "WOULD YOU BLEEEPING COME ON ALREADY!!!!!!"

·
Registered
207 Posts
With Android 6 the T3 is more than enough of a processor, because he has the 2gb of ram, and the ram in these is what really determines performance.
If it had only 1gb, even with a T8, it would have been, sloooooooooooooooooooooow.... Like driving down the road pounding on the screen and yelling, "WOULD YOU BLEEEPING COME ON ALREADY!!!!!!"
Yeah that's the last thing you want when driving. I had a couple of apps freeze on me and its not fun. For some reason Waze locked up the unit a few times to the point where I had to turn the car off for a minute and restart. There is no real way to hard reset while the car is running.

That's one of the reasons why these units are so much more functional than the oem units, but they come at the drawback of potential instability when using a wide variety of 3rd party apps. You can see why it would be unsafe and a liability if the oem units freeze up all the time. You can bet that most people would be cursing at their infotainment system instead of paying attention to the road. I'm sure it still happens on oem units but they do test them to prevent those types of failures the best they can.

My two issues I have are security and voice control. Since my unit is logged into Google for the app store, maps etc.. if someone were to steal the vehicle or even work on the car, there is no built in password capability like a phone. I can disable the Google login remotely in an emergency but it would be nice to have a simple password prompt.

I also cant figure out how to enable voice controls for Google maps. I know it has a great microphone for the phone calls but it seems there is a missing software driver for the app capability.

Other than that, Its been amazing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wouldn't trust their compatibility guides. It's clearly not for a 1st gen 2010 and they even have the 1st gen 300c image on the screenshot. I have the 1st gen one and their years of compatibility were all screwed up as well. I would use the unit it replaces as the best indicator for what year it will work with.
The good news is that once installed, it's an awesome upgrade.
Is there another source for these unites besides aliexpress? I am unable to find them anywhere else (like ebay with buyer protection...)

What about the T8 processor on our 1st gen model vs T3 on this one? Also the current versions of our units now have Android 8.1, but it may be possible to upgrade.

For anyone buying these, spend the extra dollars for the extra ram version.
What do you mean by "the current version of our units"? Do you sell these?
I only see units with Android 6.0 advertised on aliexpress.

Also there are - at least according to the ever so useless chinese article descriptions - a multitude of variants.

• "Krando Android 6.0 12.1" "
  • "Liandlee 13.3Inch"
  • "LaiQi 10.4" Quadcore Car DVD player"
The units all look the same but are advertised with different screen sizes and resolutions. I found
  • 1024*768
  • 1280x800

The sound quality on mine is pretty good, and it also has 4X45 watt output.
If it does not come with the adapter box, aka Pac, you will need one to connect to the canbus, but it likely comes with one.
Remember to disconnect the battery, either when it is being installed, or at least after you are done installing it, or there will be no sound. The computer controls the volume, and if the computer is not reset, it will not recognize the head unit until it is disconnected.
Thanks for the info! I was totally unaware of such an adapter box :) Does your system bypass the car's built in amp?
Is the hands free phone system useable and is the voice quality in calls while driving good? I had an android based china head unit in a sebring a while back and calls were only possible when not driving due to the bad mic and non existend noice cancelling...
Does your rear camera, steering wheel controls etc. still work or did you loose any functionality?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is there another source for these unites besides aliexpress? I am unable to find them anywhere else (like ebay with buyer protection...)

Also there are - at least according to the ever so useless chinese article descriptions - a multitude of variants.

• "Liandlee 13.3Inch"

The units all look the same but are advertised with different screen sizes and resolutions. I found

• 1024*768
  • 1280x800

Thanks for the info! I was totally unaware of such an adapter box :) Does your system bypass the car's built in amp?

Is the hands free phone system useable and is the voice quality in calls while driving good? I had an android based china head unit in a sebring a while back and calls were only possible when not driving due to the bad mic and non existend noice cancelling...

Does your rear camera, steering wheel controls etc. still work or did you loose any functionality?
I never saw any on ebay, you just have to risk it honestly if you want the features. Mine was shipped DHL in 2 days if that helps. Mine was from QZ Industrial but they are all probably from the same source. After you purschase there is a 1 week waiting period which I assume is the seller's time to obtain the unit, test it and ship it out with their own "branding".

Bill and I have the same 1st gen unit so I was responding to his comment.

The hands free phone is the best I have seen and it works flawlessly with my Samsung S8. The 1st gens don't have built-in backup cams but the steering wheel controls are perfect and it even plays nice with my Tranzformer. It uses the oem amp.

I know a lot of this may not apply for the 2nd gen units but until more people get them, the 1st gen units are what you can go by as far as expectations.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah that's the last thing you want when driving. I had a couple of apps freeze on me and its not fun. For some reason Waze locked up the unit a few times to the point where I had to turn the car off for a minute and restart. There is no real way to hard reset while the car is running.
You have the same unit as me, so look at the bottom left hand corner. You will see two small holes in it. One is the mic, and the other is for resetting the head unit in the event that it freezes up. Every Android head unit that I have ever owned has that.
Also, there is an app on the play store that is for google voice that is supposed to give voice control to androids, but I have never tried it.
I ground down a small screw driver years ago and keep it in the little storage compartment to the right of the shifter, and have had to use it one time when sygic maps froze up on me, but other than that, I have not had other issues with this head unit.

Is there another source for these units besides aliexpress? I am unable to find them anywhere else (like ebay with buyer protection...)
Here is one from the same apparent vendor on ebay, but for slightly more money.
They appear to be a new vendor there, as they have not as yet made any sales on ebay. I got mine from Aliexpress, which is the asian version of ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-3-inch-Android-6-0-Quad-Core-2G-32GB-Car-Radio-For-Chrysler-300C-Car-Stereo/323709926944?hash=item4b5e9d7e20:g:LycAAOSwhE5cc8A4:rk:1:pf:0

The android head units are pretty much the same, no matter what they may look like on the outside. In a lot of cases you will find the same internal components being used by different vendors on different models. The only real difference is that cheaper units have less ram, which cannot be upgraded.

• "Liandlee 13.3Inch"
  • 1024*768
  • 1280x800
As I said before, different vendors use the same internal components in systems that may look totally different from each other.
As for screen resolution, it does not make a whole lot of difference.

The quality of the mic used is what determines how phone calls will sound, and that can vary from vendor to vendor.
I threw my cellphone in a lake, but without the battery, so I cannot tell you anything about connectivity issues with a phone.
Mine is sleeping with the fishes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You have the same unit as me, so look at the bottom left hand corner. You will see two small holes in it. One is the mic, and the other is for resetting the head unit in the event that it freezes up. Every Android head unit that I have ever owned has that.
Also, there is an app on the play store that is for google voice that is supposed to give voice control to androids, but I have never tried it.
I ground down a small screw driver years ago and keep it in the little storage compartment to the right of the shifter, and have had to use it one time when sygic maps froze up on me, but other than that, I have not had other issues with this head unit.
Yup I know exactly what you are referring to. I always thought that would reset the android system back to the factory default. Now that I know what its for, I will do the same with a paper clip and re-install Waze. Thank you very much for the advice!

I'll try out the app as well for voice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
@$%*! me! I want that! Since it doesn't do Apple Car play could you use the dongle to use add Car Play?
The only thing is, I will be PISSED if it doesn't work. Does anyone have the second gen version??

·
Registered
458 Posts
Anyone???
I do not think it likely that you will find anyone yet that has experience with this exact same system, as in its current design it is brand new, without even any sales for it yet on ebay.
The hardware itself has all been used in different models, so it should work fine, though.

The reviews I have seen so far comparing Android Auto vs Apple Car play make it appear that the Android version has all of the advantages over car play when it comes to compatibility and superior speech recognition and more map options, so you might want to try out the android version and see if it does what you need.
But in the end, it still comes down to user preferences.

https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-carplay-vs-android-auto

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am a bit concerned about the car's amp - in my case a 506 Watt Alpine amp that came with the 9 speaker / 1 sub "premium package".

The System advertises as a 4x45Watt system, therefor suggesting that the output itself is amplified. Won't a amplifier "overload" or something if you provide it with a high level input instead of low level stuff?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts