Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all. As we are working on the project car (pics will come) I have a curious issue to ask about.

We used Dom's company's mod on the Nav HU, and it worked great. Image is very sharp and clear. Great service, great work.

We opened up the VES and modded the DVD player's video output and ran it into Dom's video input. The VES DVD video image on the Nav HU display is sharper than it is on the VES display! (Hint: You need to adjust the VES's color settings to match the Nav HU, which looks more accurate than the VES screen with the VES on the OEM settings).

The only issue is that the Nav HU wants to take every image and stretch it across the widescreen 16:9 display, and the VES DVD drive seems to send out 4:3 images only - no black bar insertion in the DVD drive with fullscreen images. (Widescreen DVD images look identical on both screens). The black bars seem to be inserted inside the VES's display - presumably by the Video IC inside being commanded to do so by the DVD player or some mother-microprocessor that manages all the various devices - and as far as I can tell, the Nav HU doesn't have any 4:3 image adjustment (not being intended to display Video).

The VES DVD is fixed in 16:9 output mode - can't even select 4:3. But it outputs 4:3 images.

(Side note: All DVDs actually store 4:3 images. When you see "anamorphic" widescreen DVDs, the image is squished from 16:9 or 2.33:1 to 4:3 and then streatched back out again BEFORE it comes out the DVD player. That's the difference between "anamorphic" and just letterbox, which is a 4:3 image with back bars built into it, and which has fewer pixels in the display image footprint than anamorphic. But I digress : )

Have I missed an adjustment in the Nav HU?

Have I missed an adjustment on the VES?

Any other ideas? (Besides phasing out fullscreen movies altogether, which is my personal preference)?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, now that I'm rolling on the floor laughing... : ) Anyone gonna wave a magic wand on this one? 'Cause it's making me scratch my darn head...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Durrrr, wanna break down what the VES and the Nav HU are? Who is Dom?

It's late... I'm tired. If this has anything to do with playing Xbox or watching DVDs on the stock nav screen, then I really do want to learn more. In either case, you should take all this techno-speak over to the CANHACK.org forums.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Man... I've been smoking them cloves tonight and I still understand it, better slow down on the drinks... =)

VES= Vehicle Entertainment System - Replaces center console and has DVD player and screen in it.

Nav HU = Navigation Head Unit - Our stock nav system.

Dom = Owner of TV&NAV to go... Forum sponsor with the nav screen input mod.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whoa, you're alive? Dude... call me to hang this weekend. I would advise you to clear you calendar of anything else, I guarantee you that the meeting of our cars is more important than anything else you've got going... My Magnum is going to try to cop a feel off your 300, I just know it.

I was just perusing another thread where the terminology and everything else I asked about was answered in excellent detail. I am t3h suk. i amz shamed

So do I need to have the VES to do this mod? All I really care about is using the screen as a PC monitor. Once we get a VGA connection mod going... I'm gonna lose it, I swear.

·
Registered
214 Posts
El Duderino-

JonW is one of the few if not only members who has really been hacking into the audio and video systems from this technical a perspective. I suggest you PM him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
VES mod issues

Ken,

You would probably need to add a format convertor box between the DVD and REC HU, that would add the side bars. You would then have to switch it between active and bypass when you wanted to view 4:3 content. I can check with some sources I have, including a friend of mine who builds stuff like that.

As for modding the DVD player to get the output, are you willing to share the schematics or basic description of where you tied into the motherboard, and what other mods needed to be done to get the output?

Also, is the output you're getting composite or RGB?

Thanks!

-Ted

-----------

el_duderino said:
Hi, all. As we are working on the project car (pics will come) I have a curious issue to ask about.

We used Dom's company's mod on the Nav HU, and it worked great. Image is very sharp and clear. Great service, great work.

We opened up the VES and modded the DVD player's video output and ran it into Dom's video input. The VES DVD video image on the Nav HU display is sharper than it is on the VES display! (Hint: You need to adjust the VES's color settings to match the Nav HU, which looks more accurate than the VES screen with the VES on the OEM settings).

The only issue is that the Nav HU wants to take every image and stretch it across the widescreen 16:9 display, and the VES DVD drive seems to send out 4:3 images only - no black bar insertion in the DVD drive with fullscreen images. (Widescreen DVD images look identical on both screens). The black bars seem to be inserted inside the VES's display - presumably by the Video IC inside being commanded to do so by the DVD player or some mother-microprocessor that manages all the various devices - and as far as I can tell, the Nav HU doesn't have any 4:3 image adjustment (not being intended to display Video).

The VES DVD is fixed in 16:9 output mode - can't even select 4:3. But it outputs 4:3 images.

(Side note: All DVDs actually store 4:3 images. When you see "anamorphic" widescreen DVDs, the image is squished from 16:9 or 2.33:1 to 4:3 and then streatched back out again BEFORE it comes out the DVD player. That's the difference between "anamorphic" and just letterbox, which is a 4:3 image with back bars built into it, and which has fewer pixels in the display image footprint than anamorphic. But I digress : )

Have I missed an adjustment in the Nav HU?

Have I missed an adjustment on the VES?

Any other ideas? (Besides phasing out fullscreen movies altogether, which is my personal preference)?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
161 Posts
ted said:
Ken,

You would probably need to add a format convertor box between the DVD and REC HU, that would add the side bars. You would then have to switch it between active and bypass when you wanted to view 4:3 content. I can check with some sources I have, including a friend of mine who builds stuff like that.

As for modding the DVD player to get the output, are you willing to share the schematics or basic description of where you tied into the motherboard, and what other mods needed to be done to get the output?

Also, is the output you're getting composite or RGB?

Thanks!

-Ted

-----------
VES output is composite.
Hack how-to for output from VES can be found here: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=30824

1 - 14 of 14 Posts