Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was getting the C back today from the wreck I was involved in seven weeks ago. It's about time. All the repairs are completed except the bodyshop that's doing the work says when it gets to around 60 mph their is a vibration. It's only when it gets to around 60 mph. They have checked everything and can't find the the reason why. It's been to the alignment shop, they have checked all the rims and tires for problems and one of the rims and tires is brand new. Everyone in the bodyshop has drove the car and looked at and they can't find the problem. It's going back to the alignment shop on Monday. So does anyone have an idea to this problem? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
The one new tire might be the culprit... try putting it on the back and see if it still vibrates.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Is it possible that they noticed a vibration that you always had but never noticed? I see you have a '05. Was it one of the early models that like I have perplexed everyone with a vibration arounf 57-60?

If so, did you have the exhaust system changed to the upgraded one that eliminated the vibration?

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Also, did they remove the Tinnerman clips from the rotors? They are the little washer lookin' things on one lug each wheel designed to hold the stock rotors on the car during the assembly line.. sometimes they have been enough to cause an aftermarket wheel to vibrate (the stock wheels have a recess cut out to clear them,.. aftermarket usually don't)
Also, maybe the wreck caused Tie-rod issues or something else in the suspension...

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I see Joey and I were on the same thought... ;)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The owner of the bodyshop thinks it something with one of the tires but they have rotated the tires and it still is vibrating but only around 60 mph. He said he didn't think it was anything with the suspension since it's only doing it around 60. What kinds of problems with the suspension would exist that cause it to only vibrate around 60 and not at say 30 or 40. Any thoughts? The preliminary estimate to fix it was around $13,000 and the actual estimate as of now is approaching $15,000. Thanks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Also, did they remove the Tinnerman clips from the rotors? They are the little washer lookin' things on one lug each wheel designed to hold the stock rotors on the car during the assembly line.. sometimes they have been enough to cause an aftermarket wheel to vibrate (the stock wheels have a recess cut out to clear them,.. aftermarket usually don't)
Also, maybe the wreck caused Tie-rod issues or something else in the suspension...
Hey steve are you saying that with after market wheels that the Tinnerman clips should be removed ?

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Hey steve are you saying that with after market wheels that the Tinnerman clips should be removed ?
Yeah, they are just put there during the manufacturing process so the rotor doesn't fall off on the assy line and must be a wheel fitment consideration since the OEM wheels have little reliefs cut out to clear them... I don't think it affects everyone, but they have been responsible for some vibration problems on aftermarket wheels for some, and the problems stopped when they were removed.
Might as well just remove them to eliminate any potential issues since they aren't needed anymore.

Steve

·
Registered
300 Posts
300c vibration

I bought 4 new terazza B F goodrich tires for my 300c AWD and I had them balanced through the force one balance machine five times and I am having a vibration problem between 55 to 60mph . Two of the four tires were replaced and I am still having the same problem . Any sugestions ?
B D HEMI

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll let them know about the Tinnerman clips tomorrow. I've had two sets of aftermarket rims (22's and then 24's) on for around two years and never had a vibrating problem. Could the clips be on all this time and just now be the cause of the vibration? Anything is worth a shot at this point.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You many want to check this out too!

Is it possible that they noticed a vibration that you always had but never noticed? I see you have a '05. Was it one of the early models that like I have perplexed everyone with a vibration arounf 57-60?

If so, did you have the exhaust system changed to the upgraded one that eliminated the vibration?
I agree with Jeepgrady. Those of us who have been around here for awhile remember the infamous vibration between 57-60 MPH. While the clips are a good place to start, you may want to read these threads as well. Many of us reported this problem.

Problem Description

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/1467-answer-vibration-55-58-mph.html?

Thread with fix at dealer:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/pr...-58-vibration-1700-rpm-info-part-numbers.html

I don't remember if a TSB was ever created, it was a long time ago. I never got mine fixed as it didn't bother me that much.

More info here:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/5855-55-58-vibration-solved.htm

John

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Yeah, the clips were just a different thing to check... I figured it was the new tire... but those clips have caused a few members here over the years problems until they took them off and viola!.. it fixed the issue

Have you driven the car??

Maybe the alignment shop will figure something out.. whether structural, suspension, wheel balance issue or one of the many obscure reasons to have a vibration...

Usually, vibration at a certain speed points to balance issues, but not always.. but once they moved that wheel around and it still vibrated is strange... I wish you had driven the car to give us more info as to what corner it felt like it was vibrating, what other things were happening, when it happened such as slight turning/braking or all the time etc...

Let us know what the shop says tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I recall a few had to replace the tie rods to fix their vibration. I believe the outer tie rods.
Yeah, I wish we had more info as we assume it is the front vibrating.... may not be.....

Considering the extent of the damage from the accident, it may be coming from just about anything at this point... a long list of things to check. :scared:

·
Registered
441 Posts
The "55-vibe" was a resonance in the exhaust on early builds and happened under very specific conditions, just so annoying because it was typically close to 55: about 1,700 rpms under steady throttle, level or slight incline (MDS active) in 5th gear. Hold the throttle steady and shift to 4th or give a small squueze on the throttle and it stops, back off as before and it returns. You need to know if this a front end or exhaust related vibration.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went back to the alignment shop and then took the car out and the vibration is still there. It starts around 60 and is still noticeable at 65 and 70. The steering wheel is what vibrates. The bodyshop is stumped on what the problem could be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
had the exact same problem,next day installed hubcentric rings.problem solved.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts