Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there know the numbering sequence of VIN's? I got my VIN yesterday, 2C3AA73WX5H687795. I know the "5" means it's an 05, but how many of the remaining numbers indicate where it falls between the first one and the number I have? I just want to get some sort of idea of where mine is on the list. Are they built sequentially and if so, would the first one have been 01? Am I #95, 795, 7,795??? At the present rate they're building, I find it hard to believe could even be 795. My build date is 3-4 March!

Thanks to Keith White & Bill Tomchuck at Southwest Chrysler in London, Ontario, who went to bat for me, and to whoever it was at the very top at DaimlerChrysler who bumped a "celeb" in favour of a Joe Schmo nobody so I would be one of the very few Canadians to own an 05 300C SRT8! I put money down on this in Dec 04., but had to take a back seat and watch the feeding frenzy taking place in the US market.

Rambit :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
The VIN's are not built in order. Chrysler assigned a bunch of VINs to SRT-8's, and puts them in the line for build as they see fit.

I have noticed a pattern. All of the ones actully being buit end with 5H6*7***. Last week all of the built ended with 5H627***. Mine is coming up soon and ends 5H667***. I'm guessing those ending in 5H647*** get built this week, with the 667 being built after that, then your 687 series. It's still hard to say ow many will be built, but yesterday they didn't build any.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JMatt: Looks like ours may roll off the line together!

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Damn you guys. I want my SRT-8 and I still don't have a VIN. I can take a car that should arrive in 10-12 days for a 5K premium. I just don’t think it’s worth the money. What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
indyCoder said:
Damn you guys. I want my SRT-8 and I still don't have a VIN. I can take a car that should arrive in 10-12 days for a 5K premium. I just don’t think it’s worth the money. What do you think?
I suggest that you not get caught up in the hype. Patience will save you $5k and you'll be no worse for the wear if you have to wait awhile to get into one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
Dan SS2471 said:
I suggest that you not get caught up in the hype. Patience will save you $5k and you'll be no worse for the wear if you have to wait awhile to get into one.
I wonder how long this early enthusiasm for the SRT-8 will support MSRP prices and above. I noticed on eBay SRT10 pick-ups selling for $5k under MSRP. Anyone know if there was the same kind of feeding frenzy going on with them when they were first announced?

Rick
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
Not quite the feeding frenzy for the SRT-10 truck. But there's a big difference:
For example, I drove the SRT-10 and it was one AWESOME blast of a truck to drive. The problem was 1) not as good a sports car as my 911 2) not as good a people mover as my 540i 3) not as good at being a truck as my chevy Avalanche. At the end of the day, its an incredibly fast, fun vehicle - but not real good at anything.
The SRT-8 on the other hand, is one heck of a sedan, and could easily replace the current sedan in anyone's garage. I just think the market is much broader here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
A 5K premium for a car just doesn't make good economical sense. Remember the Miata? Now just a fun car that makes a living dodging the large SUV's.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Economical Sense

silversrt8 said:
A 5K premium for a car just doesn't make good economical sense. Remember the Miata? Now just a fun car that makes a living dodging the large SUV's.
Forget good economical sense. Live fast, love hard, die young, hopefully not too young though and pay your bills on time. My wife had good economical sense, but couldn't spend a dime on herself, always worrying about tomorrow. Well tomorrow never came for her and she passed away 5 months ago today. Last I heard is you don't go around twice. I don't want to put a damper on this, but it made me realize, you enter with nothing and you sure as hell will leave with nothing. Go ahead, spend it all. Less for your greedy "loved ones" to fight over while they pick your bones when your flesh is still warm. You might just save a family fight. :rolleyes: Then there's always the option to have yourself crushed inside your car, saving you the cost of a coffin, using it as a lawn ornament to embellish your property which will increase its value, saving you the cost of burial thereby making "good economical sense". Dictum: If you got it, and can afford it - spend it.

Just an opinion.

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Rambit said:
Does anybody out there know the numbering sequence of VIN's? I got my VIN yesterday, 2C3AA73WX5H687795. I know the "5" means it's an 05, but how many of the remaining numbers indicate where it falls between the first one and the number I have? I just want to get some sort of idea of where mine is on the list. Are they built sequentially and if so, would the first one have been 01? Am I #95, 795, 7,795??? At the present rate they're building, I find it hard to believe could even be 795. My build date is 3-4 March!
Rambit :)
Rambit- I just got my VIN today #*******H96H******. This is a 2006 model.
Strange, you got yours 2/21/05 and I got mine 2/23/05 and yours is a 2005 and mine is a 2006. Would sure like to find out what the differences are. Any suggestions?

Faster (Bob)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
faster said:
Rambit- I just got my VIN today #*******H96H******. This is a 2006 model.
Strange, you got yours 2/21/05 and I got mine 2/23/05 and yours is a 2005 and mine is a 2006. Would sure like to find out what the differences are. Any suggestions?

Faster (Bob)
Wow, I don't know. Maybe it was because I've been in the system since Dec 04 when my order was fax'ed to Chrysler Canada. I didn't want to get caught napping even though they wern't taking orders till Jan 05. I was given a heads up by my salesman to be quick because most are going to the US market. The dealership was as supprised as I to learn I was getting an 05. They warned me that it would probably be into the summer before I got one. There were high level, and I mean high level meetings in Detroit over my car. I'm a loyal Chrysler/Dodge customer and have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on vehicles over the years. That may have had something to do with it as well, but I don't know for sure. Maybe they figured that some low life criminal rapper or celeb with no brand loyality didn't deserve it despite the fleeting plublicity it would bring DC short term was worth it. Sometimes having money and fame can't be used for leverage and is not always associated with power. Most of these types of people who did get an 05 will store them alongside their Rolls', Bentley's and who know what else and never buy another Chrysler product again. People like you and I are left with their droppings
I must have been near the top of the list when they opened the flood gates. The US MSRP was announced 3 Jan and the Canadian MSRP was only 2 weeks ago. Americans got first kick at the kitty which didn't leave many to go around for Canadians like me. I am certainly not a rocket scientist, and it was not hard to figure out that an 05 would be a collector car from the moment it was announced due to the low production numbers to be built. All these people out there who couldn't or can't decide whether to buy one will have to settle for an 06. There's a lot of discussion around the forum if the car is worth it. Personally if someone wants it bad enough and is squabbling over a few bucks, they probably can't afford it anyway. It's just like those who buy a big SUV or truck and complain about the gas mileage.
As for mine, I don't intend to do anything at all to it, strickly stock. It will be rare enough anyway and worth a lot more down the line should I decide to part with it. Most pictures I've seen of mods etc. are sick (as in the traditional sense) and are gaudy as hell. All the talk here seems to be around 22" wheels and the like. Chrysler is seriously thinking about voiding the suspension warranties in the future anyway.

Just my opinion. I know it seems like I'm gloating. I'm not, I'm just happy to be as lucky as I was to get an 05. It could just as easily gone the other way for me.

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
JMatt said:
Not quite the feeding frenzy for the SRT-10 truck. But there's a big difference:
For example, I drove the SRT-10 and it was one AWESOME blast of a truck to drive. The problem was 1) not as good a sports car as my 911 2) not as good a people mover as my 540i 3) not as good at being a truck as my chevy Avalanche. At the end of the day, its an incredibly fast, fun vehicle - but not real good at anything.
The SRT-8 on the other hand, is one heck of a sedan, and could easily replace the current sedan in anyone's garage. I just think the market is much broader here.

Nothing against your 3 vehicles as they are great, but the Ram SRT will turn more heads than any of the other 3. And it combines the best of a couple worlds into one. I'm sure you don't get too excited jumping into your Avalanche to go pickup something at the Depot. The SRT is like taking your 911 to Home Depot to pickup some stuff. The 540i isn't exactly the best at a people mover either so it too would lose in that catergory.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
north49guy said:
Nothing against your 3 vehicles as they are great, but the Ram SRT will turn more heads than any of the other 3. And it combines the best of a couple worlds into one. I'm sure you don't get too excited jumping into your Avalanche to go pickup something at the Depot. The SRT is like taking your 911 to Home Depot to pickup some stuff. The 540i isn't exactly the best at a people mover either so it too would lose in that catergory.
For me the Ram SRT10 just doesn't do it. Certainly can't drive it in the winter as it's not 4x4. Too much power for the snow we get up here. Not the kind of truck you're likely to fill up with lumber and drywall either. My dealer was trying to get me to buy one instead of the 05 300C SRT8, but for over $70,000 + 15% tax, I couldn't see it being worth it. I have an 05 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab loaded with the Hemi that I'll use on crappy days and in the winter and on nice days I'll drive the SRT8. It would also look silly to have two trucks parked in my garage. They've had it on the lot quite a while and I think they're having a hard time unloading it. Very nice truck but it doesn't seem to serve a purpose other than to go fast, very fast. I also don't like the sound of a V10; sounds like a boat engine to me because those two extra cylinders smooth out the exhaust. Nothing sounds like a V8 to me especially with a Flowmaster Cat Back system.

Rambit
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
North49guy, you missed the point.

Of course the SRT-10 is more exciting than the Avalanche. But you have to take the wing off just to load the truck. As noted - it's not 4-wheel drive - it's worthless in the snow - and it realistically seats only two. Fun? Of course! Practical as a "go to home depot to pick up drywall" vehicle? No way.

As I said - it seats 2. My 540i (and the Avalanche are clearly better at moving 4-5 people than the SRT-10. (My friends don't like to ride in the bed of a truck).

Finally - for turn on a dime handling, and breaking that is out of this world, the SRT-10 fails miserably to the 911. (Admittedly, I'm guessing the SRT-10 could smoke me 0-60 and quarter mile, but if you have to turn at the end, you're finished).

Are there better sedans than mine? Obviously. But the SRT-10 isn't one of them.
Are there better trucks than mine? Obviously. But the SRT-10 isn't one of them.
Are there better sports cars than mine? Duh. But not the SRT-10.

Don't get me wrong. I drove the SRT-10 and couldn't get the grin off my face. But what can you use it for? If you want the V-10, you can buy a fairly new Viper for virtually the same price.

Just my opinions. I certainly respect yours, and hope you return the favor.

Thanks. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I absolutely respect your opinion. You have some valid points.

All I was saying was that it is a unique vehicle that is a total blast and turns heads. And comparing it to the vehicles you did is somewhat irrelevant because it isn't competing with them. And every car can look useless compared to another select group.

I do have an SRT Ram (one of the Viper Club editions) and I have a couple Vipers. There are not even close to the same thing. The Viper is also a "useless" vehicle in a lot of respects. The wing on the Ram comes off in seconds and while I wouldn't call it a "workhorse", it does provide me with the occasional pickup capability. I am not a pickup type guy and have never owned one before and would never have bought one if it wasn't this vehicle. I would suspect there are a lot of buyers in the same boat. The SRT does have a select market.

I had a SRT Ram (not mine) out on an autocross course and I can tell you the handling and braking is awesome. I also had a ride with the Skip Barber racing school drivers who said hands down that this is the best handling truck on the planet.

It may not be for you, but the RAM is one great thrill ride
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
Now I can agree with you!

The Ram SRT-10 was one incredibly fun vehicle to drive. I can only handle 3 cars though, and it just couldn't replace any of the three I had for what I used them for. I think unfortunately many people fall into the same situation, and if they buy a truck, they need to use it as a truck. Rest assured, if I had room for a 4th vehicle . . . . :D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, did this thread get side tracked or what?

As I read along, I forgot what the original post (mine) was all about, "VIN numbering questions". And I fell right into it as well.

Rambit :)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top