Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site, but have been a visitor for the past month!

I just recently bought a 2012 300C, with 18,350 miles on it (hemi). I LOVE my car, and it's perfect, however; last week I had thought I smelled coolant, while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic (about 2 hours). Didn't put much thought into it, until the next day.

I lifted the hood and can see dried up coolant (from the bottom of the cap, down the sides of the reservoir, under the actual hood, even on the passenger's side)! It wasn't much, but it's obvious there is a leak coming from somewhere.

I don't know if it has an original cap or not, and can't tell if it's leaking from the black rubber gripper right under neath the cap? It doesn't seem as though it is leaking from the actual reservoir...? The coolant is still in the reservoir filled up to the proper line.

I thought I'd throw the question out here before I took it into the dealer!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Lisa

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
Get the system pressure tested and make sure that cap is on tight. Also, check your cold coolant level on the side of the tank. It may be overfilled.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cap is on tight, and the cold level is just right (not overfilled). I guess I will have to get the pressure tested.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
What was the coolant temperature when you smelled it? Might be a stuck t-stat. And (without the A/C on) were the fans running at the time?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The temperature was at the middle mark as it always is every time I drive it (it never over heated or went past that middle mark) when I smelled the coolant. The A/C wasn't on, and don't believe the fans were on either. It's only happened twice so far (in a month's time owning the vehicle), but before it gets worse, I want to get it fixed!

Thanks for your help Desiree, MadDog

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
If you get the system pressure tested, make sure they test the cap. Also, I agree with Desiree that the thermostat could be stuck. The stock one is designed to fail open so if it failed, you would not have overheated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you get the system pressure tested, make sure they test the cap. Also, I agree with Desiree that the thermostat could be stuck. The stock one is designed to fail open so if it failed, you would not have overheated.

I plan on getting the system pressure tested this weekend, if not next week sometime (I might go out of town). I will make sure they test the cap as well. I guess it's not so bad, buying a new cap and thermostat if I have to!

I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much to both!

have a great day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts