Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums, hired the best detectives, even googled until my googler was all googled out. Ugh, not enough info out there.

Gentlemen, start your opinons:

Which air intake, Air Raid or Volant offers the best 'real world' performance? I gotsta know! I'm going to buy one of them.

I'm leaning towards the Volant because, well Tbyrne has a great group buy price and it looks better. But, the last time I made a decision based solely on looks, I wound up married. So I'd like to hear which of these mini-mods blows the other away.

Or is there not a noticable difference between the two?

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Tibbs, I'm going through the same dilemma - about the air intake not the marriage partner thing-

I am leaning towards the Volant, because of the design. Sealed unit - picks up air from the coldest source - lower front of the car - transfers air through smooth passages. And, it looks gooooood.

But, like you, I have no real first hand experience. Can't really "try before I buy". Hopefully others will step forward and tell all about their time spent with these beauties.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just bought the volent in the gp. I like it because it replaces the stock tube entering the intake manifold with a larger diameter smooth walled tube which I think will have less restrictions and flow more air. It has an enclosed filter, which I think will be quieter. Last but not least it has an actual ram air inlet coming from the lower grill which should make it better at higher speeds. Unfortunately I have no data to support this just my $.02. :eek:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm itchin to buy the Volant! I also experienced the married thing 8 years ago; looks ain't everything! :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
I seen and heard both intakes at our last club meet and found that the Volant fit better and offered more performance features. So far, no real testing has been found but I conclude that if there is any benefit from these two, the Volant would offer more. As for the looks thing, I would rather my car look like an expensive one rather than a Honda.

·
Registered
887 Posts
In "real world" every day driving, performance from the stock system vs. any of the after market system is going to be minimal IMO (mileage or performance). The Volant looks great, pulls cold air, has great fit/finish and the lower inlet tube to the vent sold me. I've heard the fit/finish on the air raid is inconsistent - people trimming the box etc. Don't like the under hood filter (hot air), and I don't want anything rubbing on the under side of the hood. Sounds great though...

Let's see...Volant, Air Raid, wait for the Vararam or AEM....

I bought the Volant in the GP so Volant wins!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have the Volant Intake. My car was the test fit for this system, Volant did the install at their factory. It offers looks and performance. The quality and construction are excellent. When you jump on it , you hear it. When your cruising, it's like nothing is there. The performance side of it is outstanding. All of these systems will give you a little on the bottum end, but mid and top end hang on. The sound produced by this system is amazing. What's nice is that it replaces everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've heard that the Vararam unit is due out very soon which muddies up the water even more. Vararam vs. Volant, i need some dyno's. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I love my AirRaid unit, although I have not tried the others, I do feel some improvment in throttle response and the sound is killer. I wonder if there is any sound from the Volant intake?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If, indeed, there is not much to gain ... stock vs aftermarket ... the Volant wins hands down. It at least makes the effort to actually draw cool air and- OMG - it is by far and away the best looking! Looks, at least, like a piece of quality!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd go with the Airaid. Have it on my 300 and it's awesome. What's concerning about the Volant is the air filter is exposed directly to the elements. Saw a post from someone who said it was not an issue, but it's hard to believe rain, snow, road junk would not have an affect on the filter in the long run. .

·
Registered
239 Posts
LUVmyHEMI said:
I'd go with the Airaid. Have it on my 300 and it's awesome. What's concerning about the Volant is the air filter is exposed directly to the elements. Saw a post from someone who said it was not an issue, but it's hard to believe rain, snow, road junk would not have an affect on the filter in the long run. .

OH!!! Well, amend my post/opinion a bit. On looks alone ............... :eek:

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Volant is certainly NOT exposed to the elements. It is an airbox with a long, vertical feed tube leading fromthe right foglight vent to the intial stock airbox location.

·
Registered
575 Posts
CITADELGRAD87 said:
The Volant is certainly NOT exposed to the elements. It is an airbox with a long, vertical feed tube leading fromthe right foglight vent to the intial stock airbox location.
Better not drive thru any deep puddles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
6"+ might cause a problem, I agree.

A really BIG problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll put my faith in a mystical element called "gravity" and take my chances. It's an air intake, not a bagless vacuum. I'll keep some oars in the trunk in case I somehow wind up staring at a mile long stretch of 6 inch deep water.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
CITADELGRAD87 said:
The Volant is certainly NOT exposed to the elements. It is an airbox with a long, vertical feed tube leading from the right foglight vent to the intial stock airbox location.
In addition, the front of the airbox has a cutout in it so the tube is not the only source of intake. I don't think the tube will be sucking water.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tibbs said:
I'll put my faith in a mystical element called "gravity" and take my chances. It's an air intake, not a bagless vacuum. I'll keep some oars in the trunk in case I somehow wind up staring at a mile long stretch of 6 inch deep water.

Good luck , you should be fine.

But here in Kali, where it never rains, puddles ROUTINELY reach 12" and more.

I think if the tube was actually submerged, you'd learn what kind of bagless vacuum impression that intake can do.

As mentioned, it has a cutout at the front of the box, which should prevent it from drawing water up the pipe, but, if it didn't, I have no doubt that it would suck up water like a straw. Hence the need for a "silencer" to begin with, it makes a sucking sound because of SERIOUS vacuum suction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts