Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't be ordering for about a year, but I kind of like the tortoise shell accents better than the walnut. It seems to have more depth and stands out better. The only drawback is that presently there is no aftermarket wood trim kit offered in the tortoise shell design. It may be a difficult material to match. I believe you can get a kit in the walnut however which would be one plus for ordering the C with the walnut trim.

·
Registered
588 Posts
EasyRider300C said:
I won't be ordering for about a year, but I kind of like the tortoise shell accents better than the walnut. It seems to have more depth and stands out better. The only drawback is that presently there is no aftermarket wood trim kit offered in the tortoise shell design. It may be a difficult material to match. I believe you can get a kit in the walnut however which would be one plus for ordering the C with the walnut trim.
Unfortunately, there is no factory match for the walnut trim pieces either. But both joshuatree and exoticwooddash each have woods and synthetics which match closely.

But think about it, the factory wood option is a burl which by its very nature is unique to its own piece of wood. Best you probably can do to match is to try for the predominate color and burl design.

IMO, it would be just as easy to come close to the tortoise shell also. I would, if I had the capability, take a digital picture of the existing trim and send it along to either firm to get them to match it as closely as possible and save a lot of heartburn..

I am going to install one or the other kits -- my problem is not the match (for it is far enough away from the factory stuff not to matter that much) -- but that both firm's kits have some design errors in them. I have reported them and have been told it will be several months before corrections can be made. Just stufy the overlay shadows available from each site.

·
Registered
609 Posts
called woodtrim

they are making a factory match tortise shell to match i called and talked too two reps and they said it takes three weeks to design and make a duplicate for mass distribution and that was a week ago so in two weeks you will see a factory match tortise kit

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just had an e-mail from exotic wood dash; they have now fixed their error in the kit discussed earlier and now have an OEM factory wood match (California Walnut Burl) kit. Ordered it today and it should be here about Friday (6/4/04); slight delay due to fact that it is not in stock yet. I'm the first one and they have to make it.

Kit # WD556B fits the dash with the NAV unit, sale on this weekend -- $238.50 including shipping.

I'll try to get some pictures and post them when I begin installation.

See www.exoticwooddash.com for their now correct shadow layout of the 27 piece kit.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What color did you go with?

·
Registered
588 Posts
indyCoder said:
What color did you go with?
Guess you missed it in my post. Color is new for them, OEM California Walnut Burl to match the existing wood on my car.

I also understand that they also now offer matching turtoise shell to match that OEM material also.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Earlier, I test drove a 300C with walnut trim package - somebody had ruined the finish on the steering wheel. That took talent or true malevolence. Still, I was astounded that it could be done.
Tortoise for me, looks "brighter" and a bit unique (even if everyone has it).

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
The tortise shell has been deliciously described as sea scallops floating in Aunt Jemima, it is unique where walnut is mundane. Now, if french elm (68-73 S class option) or tiger maple were available then I might pony up for the wood but only if it looked better/unique.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is anybody else getting knicks or scratches on the steering wheel tortoise shell? I think I may have knicked it with my watch band a time or two getting out of the car. :( Am I the only one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
LWOOD said:
Is anybody else getting knicks or scratches on the steering wheel tortoise shell? I think I may have knicked it with my watch band a time or two getting out of the car. :( Am I the only one?
I too have a 1/4" (watch) scratch in the California Walnut. I have tried paste wax, and a walnut wax pen. Nothing seems to "get rid of it" as it is so small, however, because the wheel is like glass, I feel it everytime the wheel slips through my hands.
Any tips from Heloise??

·
Registered
101 Posts
I actually panic when my wife drive my 300. With all her jewelry she's apt to scratch the tortise shell. LWOOD, I believe a product by the name of Novus may help.

I believe the tortise shell if plastic. If this is true then a plastic polish should do the trick. However, if the scratch is a gouge well then, you're kind-of screwed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I make my wife take off all her rings when she gets in the car. Even though she doesn't drive it, I don't want her to scratch the paint on the outside doors, or the plastic on the inside. You love them to the hilt and you spend a fortune on the jewelry, yet you kick yourself in the ass when they get in and out of the car.

After my wife put a gouge in the leather of my Silverados' seats with the buckle on her pocketbook, (she sat on the buckle getting in and slid it across the leather), I am so paranoid.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I admit to obsessive compulsive. Like my Daddy used to say "Who says its a disorder?" I am going to try a little plastic polish. I will let you know the results.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Baya879 said:
I too have a 1/4" (watch) scratch in the California Walnut. I have tried paste wax, and a walnut wax pen. Nothing seems to "get rid of it" as it is so small, however, because the wheel is like glass, I feel it everytime the wheel slips through my hands.
Any tips from Heloise??
One of the nice things about wood is that it is just that and can be repaired with care.

Get yourself a walnut (or whatever color needed to match the scratch area) touch up pencil, apply it, then refinish with a bit of polyurthane sealer. Due to the burl, you may need several color pencils to really fix it up correctly. Avoid sanding, but if you do, use only "00" grade or finer. Apply the polyurthane with a very small brush such as a water color brush. This is not a mass production job, only a touch-up. Be careful.

If you know a woodworker hobbiest in your area, ask that person for help if you find this too daunting to attempt yourself.

Carefully done, you should be able to make that scratch really disappear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would love to hear from anyone who has had success or failures in touching up the steering wheel, esp. the kind of materials used.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My window sticker says I have the Tortoise Shell finish, but I am certain it's not.

Could someone confirm that this is this actually what the California Walnut looks like? This is the door pull (the steering wheel was almost impossible to photograph outdoors because of the curvature and the sun)

Regards,

Matt

P.S. Google ads on this page offer "Live Tortoises for Sale" Now, there's an option for matching your interior, and satisfying your craving for turtle soup at the same time!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts