Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I replace the bushings and sway bar and leave it at that?

I recall doing this for a grand prix years ago, but need some suggestions
for what's available for our cars.

what cost am I looking at? and even better, any local shops in
northern illinois/chicagoland?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
any particular brands?

maybe I need to clarify. It seems all of the solutions center around lowering the car, even the
UAS.

What I'm looking for is something that can help with things such as bump steer and rear axle skip.

I did relieve this somewhat by changing tires from the Conti's to GoodYear, but that was around
18000. I'm nearing 30000 now and still haven't seen much of anything available with regards
to shocks/struts, so now, I'm thinking there would have to be bushings, etc, which are stiffer.
Or if shocks/struts that don't go hand in hand with lowering springs, what are they?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yep - contact the Pedders guys. They're a supporting vendor here. Take a look over in their vendor forum. They have full street and race packages, including bushings, sway bars, etc. They specifically mention things like correcting bump steer.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, it looks like they have a bump steer package.

Let me find out what a complete bushing package costs.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump Steer is when you feel the wheel is being turned over bumps.

I'm not exactly how to describe the rear axle thing, but certain bumps
can make the car feel as if it's tripping over them, especially going around
curves.

It is not as bad because I got rid of the Conti's, but I can still feel it.

here's bump steer on wiki Bump Steer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Exactly what I feel in the rear,still trying to find a solution.And I still dont know if lowering the car would stop the roll or is it just for looks.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly what I feel in the rear,still trying to find a solution.And I still dont know if lowering the car would stop the roll or is it just for looks.
Looks like Pedders has the solution and it is the bushings that would
resolve it. I've asked whether just adding the specific kits for
this would resolve it, for example, can I just get the bump steer
kit.

I'm debating whether I should just get all of the bushings and call it
a day. I'm not interested in lowering the car.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have the Pedders Bush Kit, Bump steer correction and the shocks springs sways and camber kit too... Full track 2

All I can say is what a difference. They make many choices including a spring fro same as Stock SRT ride height so no lowering. I cannot tell you in words whats its like. You should check to see if there is a dealer near you with a car to drive. There was one in my area to test out.

Here is my SRT I lowered it with 7026R spring in the rear... But again you can get it same as stock SRT height and everything firmed up if you want to.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks HEMI,

I've been following your thread as well. Sounds like you've gotten
great results.

I'm wondering about doing some part or all of the bushings. I'm particularly
interested in the bump steer kit. If I completely get rid of last bit
of bump steer I have, I'd be plenty happy.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Ironically and strange as it may sound...

I had the Bushes and the sways, and the bump steer installed before all the shocks, struts, and springs. (parts were not yet available this was back in November).

The car felt way more drivable and solid with only those items. It was terrible before those things were installed, my tire wear was bad, car rode terribly, and not straight at all.

I dont know if you caught all the pics of my car, they are on Pedders Suspension you can see the silver car with the black wear marks on the undercarriage. Apparently everyone that has had Bushes replaced found at least one or more that was completely torn, and really not doing anything. (Meister is one member that comes to mind, he just got the front bushes done recently).

Check around, I think you will be shocked at how poor the suspension components are in our cars, and how nice the Pedders stuff is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe what you are describing as rear end slip may be what we call step out.
It kind of feels like the rear end has to catch up with you during hard turning and acceleration.

This is attributed greatly to the lack of foundational support and contact in the OE bushes.
Paul is right, the contact on his car shown in the thread are what happens when the whole rear cradle shifts around. Some cars are worse than others and tear the minor contact points in the OE Bushes. Our EP1172 bush's replace these OE bushes and increase surface contact area by over 6 times, creating a much more stable and predictable ride.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Batwood, Thanks....

So would an EP2113 and EP1172 kit be a good for someone like me?

I don't really drive all out, but I noticed these issues more than
anything else. I did get some partial relief by changing the tires,
but it appears at least that this would get me going in the right
direction.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I installed SRT-8 springs, struts and shocks on my 300C. That firmed up the ride and got rid of the rake. The car is a bit lower than stock, but not much. The drop is just about perfect, IMO--gets rid of excess wheel gap but doesn't make it look as low as many of the lowered cars you see. If you hunt around, you can find those parts used for under $400 shipped. I think I paid $325 shipped for my set.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Batwood, Thanks....

So would an EP2113 and EP1172 kit be a good for someone like me?

I don't really drive all out, but I noticed these issues more than
anything else. I did get some partial relief by changing the tires,
but it appears at least that this would get me going in the right
direction.
HUGELY right. A LX chassis without these bits is just not an LX chassis. The difference in HUGE. The new ZETA from GM suffers from exactly the same issue in the rear -- bush mush induced rear end step out. With the sub-frame bushes installed it is a different car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts