Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the car has almost 100,000 miles (160,000 kms) and is all stock. When I should I think about replacing the belts as a preventive measure? I have no issue with them at all, but since I do 95% highway, I don't want to get stranded on the side of the road one day.

Same with the wires. Car is only an 05, but they're OEM like the belts.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
only one

sounds like great preventive maintenance to me. But there's only one. It's serpentine and you can easily do it yourself.

I would likewise agree with the wires, just remember that it's hard to find ones as good as factory in the aftermarket.

Also look at you other rubber parts like hoses, both coolant and heater hoses.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Yep, I agree with Steve on the hoses, but I'd personally replace them all especially since you're doing mostly highway driving. The last thing you'd want is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. It's also recommended as per Schedule B to replace the serpentine belt at the mileage you're at anyway.

What I found interesting is that only the 3.5 uses a timing belt, yet all the other motors use a chain. Those of you with these engines would need to replace that at 100,000 miles.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Napa/Belden part number on the wire set is 700458, the boots for the coils are part number 702430 if needed. Napa belt number is 25-060825 made by Gates. These parts are every bit as good, and probably superior, to O.E. parts.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I tend to replace serpentine belts at 75,000 miles for assurance. Check your other hoses, but unless there seems reason for concern I doubt they need replacing.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
See, the thing that's confusing me is the fact I used to change both wires and hoses on my other cars regularly, like every 75,000 miles or about every 4 years. The problem now is that I have 100,000 miles on a 3 year old car. So I don't know if I should ignore the mileage and consider these parts 3 years old, or do I ignore the age and consider these parts as having the high mileage older cars usually have. Does that make sense?

I'm so confused. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
See, the thing that's confusing me is the fact I used to change both wires and hoses on my other cars regularly, like every 75,000 miles or about every 4 years. The problem now is that I have 100,000 miles on a 3 year old car. So I don't know if I should ignore the mileage and consider these parts 3 years old, or do I ignore the age and consider these parts as having the high mileage older cars usually have. Does that make sense?

I'm so confused. :dunno:
it's time more than miles that will affect the hoses, but I'd definitely do the belt and wires.

on the hoses they deteriorate from the inside out, so look for signs of bulging where they clamp on. That's where they usually blow first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So the car has almost 100,000 miles (160,000 kms) and is all stock. When I should I think about replacing the belts as a preventive measure? I have no issue with them at all, but since I do 95% highway, I don't want to get stranded on the side of the road one day.

Same with the wires. Car is only an 05, but they're OEM like the belts.

Thanks
Wow! 100,000 miles already! I got an 05 thats over 4 years old and i just hit 35,000 miles. Any maintenance issues with engine up to 100,000 miles? What can we all expect? How many times did u change the plugs? I think were all curious!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would definitely replace the beltat 100K miles - cheap insurance against a breakdown.

Also an excellent idea to replace rubber hoses at this interval, and backflush the cooling system while you're at it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! 100,000 miles already! I got an 05 thats over 4 years old and i just hit 35,000 miles. Any maintenance issues with engine up to 100,000 miles? What can we all expect? How many times did u change the plugs? I think were all curious!
Here is some of the preventative/mandatory maintenance I've done and how many times:

Plugs: Changed them twice already. Am using Champion Copper plugs
Tranny Oil: Changed twice already. First time the dealer did it and put in their Mopar product. Second time I put in Amsoil.
Fluids: All been changed/switched over to full synthetic Amsoil (Engine, Power Steering, Brake, Diff....the synthetic tranny/ps/diff oil make a difference in the cold winter months, as they do not "gel" up and stay nice and fluid.
Tires: On 2nd set. Burnt through the first after 55,000 miles (90,000 kms). Using Bridgestone Serenities. Also using dedicated winter tires for winter months.
Cooling System: Just flushed it out and put in G-05 pre mixed 50/50
Air Filter: Every 2nd oil change. Using WIX

I clean the throttle body every oil change (~6,500 miles or 10,000 kms) regardless of condition of oil. Have a catch can as well. Filter is Amsoil for the oil as well. Weight of oil is 0w30 year round.

ISSUES FIXED BY DEALER UNDER WARRANTY: Steering rack replaced completely, along with ends. All re-calls. Tire rods replaced (both sides). PCV Valve.

ISSUES FIXED BY ME AFTER WARRANTY: Passenger Tension Strut. Hand brake cable

All in all, I love this car and is one of the most reliable I've every owned. I give more credit to DMX than to my preventive maintenance, but it hasn't cost much $ considering the mileage I have on it and how much I depend on it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Napa/Belden part number on the wire set is 700458, the boots for the coils are part number 702430 if needed. Napa belt number is 25-060825 made by Gates. These parts are every bit as good, and probably superior, to O.E. parts.
Thanks kevenj :fing02:

I'll order them online, as NAPA doesn't really exist in La Belle Province (Quebec). I don't know if they're in Ontario.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here is some of the preventative/mandatory maintenance I've done and how many times:

Plugs: Changed them twice already. Am using Champion Copper plugs
Tranny Oil: Changed twice already. First time the dealer did it and put in their Mopar product. Second time I put in Amsoil.
Fluids: All been changed/switched over to full synthetic Amsoil (Engine, Power Steering, Brake, Diff....the synthetic tranny/ps/diff oil make a difference in the cold winter months, as they do not "gel" up and stay nice and fluid.
Tires: On 2nd set. Burnt through the first after 55,000 miles (90,000 kms). Using Bridgestone Serenities. Also using dedicated winter tires for winter months.
Cooling System: Just flushed it out and put in G-05 pre mixed 50/50
Air Filter: Every 2nd oil change. Using WIX

I clean the throttle body every oil change (~6,500 miles or 10,000 kms) regardless of condition of oil. Have a catch can as well. Filter is Amsoil for the oil as well. Weight of oil is 0w30 year round.

ISSUES FIXED BY DEALER UNDER WARRANTY: Steering rack replaced completely, along with ends. All re-calls. Tire rods replaced (both sides). PCV Valve.

ISSUES FIXED BY ME AFTER WARRANTY: Passenger Tension Strut. Hand brake cable

All in all, I love this car and is one of the most reliable I've every owned. I give more credit to DMX than to my preventive maintenance, but it hasn't cost much $ considering the mileage I have on it and how much I depend on it.
I agree! I think these cars are great cars despite their few problems. If you look at what we spent for these cars compared to what other luxury cars with performance costs, were talkin about a 15 to 20 thousand dollar savings. Not to mention the looks we get when driving by a crowd. In 2004 when I was driving around town I would get more looks than a Lamborgini. It was awesome! Now 4 years later there are now thousands more on the road and i still get a few looks. This car is defineatly attractive to all sorts of people young and old! If you owned a 90 thousand dollar mercedes or bmw you still wouldnt get the attention that this car has recieved in all its years. Even after 4 years it still drives, looks, and feels like a new car. There is nothing on the market for the price that even comes close to what you get with this car. It is also is the best car that I have ever owned! I love this car!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you owned a 90 thousand dollar mercedes or bmw you still wouldnt get the attention that this car has recieved in all its years.
I have owned a Benz S500 and let me tell you, the looks I got made me nervous. I get more courtesy from other drivers on the road with the "C" than I did with the MB. Not to mention the MB cost an arm, leg, and testicle to service!

The "C" at least gets respect. The MB got keyed, dinged, cut off, and pulled over by the boys in blue everytime I was out driving it (I didn't fit the MB owner profile so they thought I must have stolen it. One state trooper in Virginia who wanted to run my plate said I was too "white and young to be driving this here machine")
:wtf:

I love the "C". But I won't be buying another one. I don't trust Cerebrus's quality controls, and last time I checked, they don't really have a rep for engineering......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts