Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warranty Bulletin No. D-05-17 - July 2005

Purpose:

• To highlight the new vehicle limited Warranty Coverage associated with the installation of aftermarket add-on components.
• To provide cause and effect information on aftermarket add-on components.

Timing: Effective immediately.

Action: The interest in aftermarket components and performance equipment, and its subsequent installation by vehicle owners, has resulted in repair situations that can jeopardize the warranty coverage of the vehicle. A reference sheet, included with this bulletin, has been developed to help identify common add-on components and their potential effect on vehicle component failures. Please ensure that all service and parts personnel have reviewed this document and attached reference sheet and refer to it if they suspect a vehicle component failure may have been the result of an aftermarket add-on component.

Aditional Information:

Refer to Section 3, What’s Not Covered, in the Vehicle Warranty Information Booklet for complete details regarding the installation and use of aftermarket components, highlights of which are listed below:

Certain changes that you make to a vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties described in this booklet. Examples of some of these changes are:

• Installing non-DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC (“DaimlerChrysler”) parts, components, or equipment (…DaimlerChrysler radio or speed control)

But your warranties do not cover any part that DaimlerChrysler did not supply or is not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of such parts, components, equipment, materials, or additives..

Performance or racing parts are considered to be non-DaimlerChrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by their use are not covered under your warranties.

Racing Not Covered

Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by racing, nor do they cover the repair of any effects that are found as the result of participating in a racing event.

If the vehicle is believed to be abused due to the installation of add-on component parts or racing activity, all information should be documented and presented to your District Manager for review and possible vehicle component restriction.

If you sell and/or install Mopar Performance parts, refer to the Mopar Performance Catalog for specific warranty coverage regarding Mopar performance parts, some excerpts of which are listed below:

No Parts Warranty

As referenced in all Mopar Performance Catalogs, Mopar Performance parts are sold “as is” unless otherwise noted. This means that the parts sold by Mopar Performance carry no warranty whatsoever...The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle’s warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle’s warranty and any failure that they may cause is also not covered by the vehicle’s warranty.

Typical MODIFICATIONS That May Be Found On DaimlerChrysler Gas and Diesel Vehicles

Boost Controllers
Manual or Electronic which regulate the amount of turbo boost

Turbo Intercooler Sprayer
Manual or Electronic which provide a cooling mist of water spray on to the intercooler.

High Octane Fuel switch
Allows driver to recalibrate the PCM for high octane fuel.

High flow custom air intake systems
Custom air intake systems allow for maximum air flow

High flow custom exhaust systems
Custom exhaust systems allow for maximum exhaust flow reducing backpressure.

Over sized intercoolers
Higher cooling capability for compressed air.

Oversized (higher boost) Turbo larger turbine
Provides more air and high pressure into the combustion chamber.

Cheater (low Cost) Waste Gate actuator spring modifications
Using a heavier or tighter spring delays when the waste gate actuator opens giving more turbo boost.

Nitrous Oxide Kits
Wet or dry systems provide more oxygen allowing more fuel to enter the combustion chamber.

High performance powertrain controllers (PCM) or engine controllers (ECM)
Greatly change engine calibration and performance.

Oversized fuel injectors/fuel rails and regulators
Allowing for more fuel to be delivered into the combustion chambers

Suspension kits / Oversized Wheels / Tires
Lowering and raising kits as well as oversized wheels and tires can greatly affect a vehicles suspension and handling.

Diesel performance enhancing equipment
Makes more power by increasing fuel and boost pressure.

Typical FAILURES That May Be Caused By Aftermarket Modifications:

Burnt pistons
Pistons, rings, and lands showing signs of overheating and burning. In many cases the pistons may be burnt down the side of the piston skirt. In gas engines, a very lean fuel to air mixture will cause this. Also predetonation (spark knock) will show signs of this. In Diesel engines too rich a fuel can result in burnt pistons.

Burnt valves
Mainly exhaust valves will show signs of a very lean fuel mix. This causes unburned fuel to raise combustion temperatures and exhaust temperatures to very unstable levels.

Exhaust melt downs (melted catalyst bricks)/ Cracked manifolds
See burnt valves. Very high exhaust temperatures due to very lean fuel mix levels and unburned fuel entering the exhaust system.

Burnt fuel injectors
See above

Burnt sparkplugs
See above

Blown fuel injector tips
See above

Blown Rod, Main Bearings and Head Gaskets
Caused by over turbo boost or nitrous oxide systems; rods, mains and head gaskets can not handle the extreme pressure put on them by the increased power.

Premature or repeated suspension failures
Lowering and raising kits as well as oversized wheels and tires completely change the geometry of the vehicle putting large amounts of pressure on drivetrain and suspension components, especially wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, and bushings.

Diesel fuel injection pump
Look for seizure or cracks in the pump. Diesel power enhancing devices can also result in premature automatic transmission failures.

Repeated overheating
All of the above.

Transmission, Clutch, Driveshaft or Axle Damage
High turbo boost, Nitrous Oxide systems increasing power levels beyond tolerance.

·
Registered
909 Posts
So what's the bottom line here?

I have MOPAR CAI and will soon have Magnaflow exhaust system

I am pretty sure that these are not issues, re: the warranty.

The CAI did come with the standard MOPAR non warranty disclaimer, but there isnt much that could go wrong with it anyway.

I guess if you put a blower or NOS on there it;s obvious you are racing, but aI domnt think the mere edxistence of these things voids the warranty does it?

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Thanks for the bulletin reprint, RS.

No surprises there (for me, anyways).

Seems like they are saying that drivetrain failures on cars with NOS or non-factory Turbo add ons or mods probably won't get warranty claims approved.

Nor will brake or suspension problems, if the suspension is lowere and/or wheels are oversized.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I assume in the wheel size area

Northern Rider said:
Thanks for the bulletin reprint, RS.

No surprises there (for me, anyways).

Seems like they are saying that drivetrain failures on cars with NOS or non-factory Turbo add ons or mods probably won't get warranty claims approved.

Nor will brake or suspension problems, if the suspension is lowere and/or wheels are oversized.
they mea larger than 20" since the srt8 has 20's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
chasb said:
they mea larger than 20" since the srt8 has 20's?
The SRT also has a slightly different suspension, so I don't think that applies. In addition, they talk about the weight, which differs from wheel to wheel regardless of size. There's also the matter of width, and what kind of profile tires you have, since that also affects how much vibration and such are transferred to the bearings and other suspension components.

·
Registered
443 Posts
chasb said:
I have MOPAR CAI and will soon have Magnaflow exhaust system

I am pretty sure that these are not issues, re: the warranty.

The CAI did come with the standard MOPAR non warranty disclaimer, but there isnt much that could go wrong with it anyway.

I guess if you put a blower or NOS on there it;s obvious you are racing, but aI domnt think the mere edxistence of these things voids the warranty does it?
As long as you don't do anything to lean out your mix, you should be fine. If anything the magnaflows should help with engine life, since you're reducing backpressure. Headers(due to the increased under hood temps) are probably a litlle iffy, and NOS or blowers are a no go. Show up at the dealership with a NOS setup or a supercharger and they're just gonna laugh at you

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yes I'm holding off...

jconnolly1119 said:
As long as you don't do anything to lean out your mix, you should be fine. If anything the magnaflows should help with engine life, since you're reducing backpressure. Headers(due to the increased under hood temps) are probably a litlle iffy, and NOS or blowers are a no go. Show up at the dealership with a NOS setup or a supercharger and they're just gonna laugh at you

on the Stage I jet chip I have, at least until after my first oil change

·
Registered
443 Posts
chasb said:
on the Stage I jet chip I have, at least until after my first oil change
this is obviously the bad thing about doing the chip. Jetchip has printed out the full disclaimer about how adding on aftermarket parts can only void your warranty if the service department can prove that the addition of the part caused the problem or failure. Trust me on this one.......if you show up at the dealership with the chip installed----and a problem of course----the service deparment WILL blame the problem or failure on whatever is not a stock(OEM) part. Best advice I can give anyone interested in adding aftermarket performance parts................get to know and become freinds with your service manager :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Brings up some interesting things with aftermarket wheels that I never thought of. I would think it would be really tough to show a cause and effect of an aftermarket wheel causing a failure.

Most of it is common sense really. Nitrous, blowers, turbos, chips, slamming it on the ground (suspension is voided), will void your warranty. With CAI, exhaust, cosmetic mods, etc., you should be fine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:

Turbo Intercooler Sprayer
Manual or Electronic which provide a cooling mist of water spray on to the intercooler.

High Octane Fuel switch
Allows driver to recalibrate the PCM for high octane fuel.

High performance powertrain controllers (PCM) or engine controllers (ECM)
Greatly change engine calibration and performance.

Oversized fuel injectors/fuel rails and regulators
Allowing for more fuel to be delivered into the combustion chambers

Ha, this is the Mopar Peformance Stage 2 and 3 upgrades kits for the SRT-4, right from the catalog:)

And no, I don't expect I have a warranty left, so dont call me a hypocrite :newangel:

But I do find it funny that the SRT-4 wrote 3/4 of this list, and the turbodiesel guys the rest. And the real problem is that improperly used, this list is a hall pass fro dealers to screw over customers.

Of course, it's incubent upon customers to know enough to intellligently discuss their mods and know what could or could not be caused by them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
Not necessarily. By reducing the back pressure, you can actually allow the engine to have a 'clean' mixture of fuel/air in the each intake stroke and increase the combustion temperature. Increased back-pressure can be effective in keeping a certain amount of the previous burnt mixture in the cylinder, thus, diluting the incoming mixture and reducing the combustion temperature.

It would be hard sell on DCX's part to try and void an engien failure due to the Magnaflow's or another make cat-back, but I certainly would not put it past them(I have witnessed an attempt on a friends vehicle with another maker).

Todd

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't see any warranty issue with my supercharger...infact I don't see any warranty at all. LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got off the phone w/my service manager and he was kind enough to make some phone calls and confirmed that putting in the MOPAR lowering springs in my '06 AWD will NOT effect the warranty. He did caution, however, that lowering the car would increase the risk of causing damage to the undercarriage and/or oilpan. I couldn't quite stop myself from LOL and I may have dented a slightly flowering relationship. Oh well, maybe I'll send him a gift basket and try to win him back to the dark side.

Geoff

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you check out our website SoCal Motorsports I have a link to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act in a nut shell they have to show proff that the installed part causes the damage to your vehicle. If you have any questions give us a call or send a pm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's the problem. They will fight you and try to blame anything on any aftermarket product you have as the root of all evil.

Do they have to prove it? It depends, what are you going to drive for the next seven years while the case is caught up in the court system?

You need to stay level headed, appear knowledgeable, and compliment on the service you have received up to this point. This way you can hint at the loss of future business.

Example:
Mr Service Manager, c'mon, do you really think my cat back system could cause my (insert part here) to malfunction? That just doesn't make sense. I have to tell you, I love this car and up until now you guys have treated me really well. In fact my wife's lease is up in a couple of months and we are planning on picking up a (insert dodge/chrysler dealer here) from you guys but if we can't get this fixed to my satisfaction, I just can't bring myself to buy another car here. Can you get this done for me or do I need to speak to someone else?

Oh, you'll take care of it? Great I really appreciate it.

·
Administrator
13,065 Posts
One thing to note: The law requires that the manufacturer has the burden of proof with respects to failures caused by aftermarket parts. In other words, they have to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the aftermarket part caused the failure. This is despite any bulletins the manufacturers issue regaring warranty claims and the presence of aftermarket parts.

This stems from a test of the law where a vehicle was modified and a failure occurred. It was under a class action suit some years ago. The manufacturer claimed the failure was due to the part installed. Further, it was noted that the part was installed directly to OEM structures. Testing ensued and it was found that the OEM part that failed had an inherent defect and the failure was not caused by the aftermarket part.

So, don't take what the stealer service department says at face value when they deny a warranty claim because of aftermarket parts. Also, it's ridiculous to have them say your piston connecting rod broke because you installed a swaybar. But, they will try.

Beware!

·
Registered
47 Posts
One thing to note: The law requires that the manufacturer has the burden of proof with respects to failures caused by aftermarket parts. In other words, they have to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the aftermarket part caused the failure.
This isn't quite true . . . . They don't have to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. They have to prove it by a "preponderance of the evidence," which basically means that they have to prove that it is more likely than not that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part. They only need 51% of the evidence on their side, not 100%.

Even then, the law doesn't require them to make the repairs to your car (and after suing them and winning, would you really want them making the repairs, anyway?). You don't even (necessarily) get the cost of the repair. The measure of damages in a breach of warranty case is the difference in the value of the car without the repair vs. the value of the car with the repair. Depending on your car, its age, mileage, etc., and what needs to be fixed, this may or may not be enough to pay fo the repair. The good news is that, if you do win, you get attorneys fees and court costs, as well.

Keep in mind, though, that you have to go to court to get any of that. Until you go to court, and win, the company doesn't have to do squat. So, your car could be laid up for years while you sue the manufacturer over your breach of warranty claim. Or, you can pay for the repairs out of your own pocket and hope to get reimbursed by the winnings from the case. Which could take years.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Go ahead and mod away! That's part of the fun. Just don't think that if something goes wrong it's going to be a quick or easy win against the manufacturer.

Best advice I've seen has already been posted in this thread . . . make friends with your service manager so you never have to worry about a breach of warranty action.

·
Registered
909 Posts
addendum

...and if you can;t make friends with your service manager, find a "mod-freidly" dealer to go to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts